Article Comparing SDSU - USD Athletic Funding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article Comparing SDSU - USD Athletic Funding

Stu Whitney with an interesting report on Athletic Department funding for the two schools. http://www.sdnewswatch.org/stories/s...letic-funding/ Be sure to look at the difference in ticket sales from 2020. Guessing the difference might be even greater now with our football success.

Great insight, thanks for sharing. Imagine if the university support was at the same percentage as USD, a lot more could be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great article. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by JRFanatic View Post
        Great insight, thanks for sharing. Imagine if the university support was at the same percentage as USD, a lot more could be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Appreciated Barry Dunn throwing some shade at USD for using more student dollars to fund athletic facilities and programs.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Appreciated Barry Dunn throwing some shade at USD for using more student dollars to fund athletic facilities and programs.
          Found that interesting too. I also thought former President Abbott's admission that USD couldn't support DI move when Jacks and NDSU did was noteworthy.

It seems they still aren't ready, without being on the public dole.

Also, the headline was misleading, as I'm not sure I'd characterize Jacks as "heavily reliant" on public funding

Comment

At some point USD really needs to be called to account on their poor financial handling of their D-1 transition--especially compared to SDSU's.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              At some point USD really needs to be called to account on their poor financial handling of their D-1 transition--especially compared to SDSU's.
              I agree.

I'd be curious how Jacks' travel costs could've increased if USD wasn't in conference/league, which could theoretically increase SDSU's reliance on public funding

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

I agree.

I'd be curious how Jacks' travel costs could've increased if USD wasn't in conference/league, which could theoretically increase SDSU's reliance on public funding
                Very small increase in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post

Very small increase in the grand scheme of things.
                  Would only be one longer FB trip every other year, and one longer BB trip for the men and women every season.

Comment

Would only be one longer FB trip every other year, and one longer BB trip for the men and women every season.
                    So the assumption would be that USD's "replacement" wouldn't have any other sports 'Yotes currently compete against Jacks in?

If that's not a caveat, more travel would be involved, and it could be considerably longer than bus trip.

Comment

So the assumption would be that USD's "replacement" wouldn't have any other sports 'Yotes currently compete against Jacks in?

If that's not a caveat, more travel would be involved, and it could be considerably longer than bus trip.
                      The replacements would be non-conference games, and could very well be regional lower-division games, especially in low revenue sports.

Comment

I agree.

I don't see the relevance of that.

The point is that right now, USD and SDSU travel costs are (or should be) quite comparable, yet USD is far, far more dependent on institutional (read state) money to fund their athletic programs. USD's ticket revenues and corporate sponsorship have been far less than SDSU's.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The replacements would be non-conference games, and could very well be regional lower-division games, especially in low revenue sports.
                          My assumption was that Summit and Valley would've added another team if USD weren't among their members

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

I don't see the relevance of that.

The point is that right now, USD and SDSU travel costs are (or should be) quite comparable, yet USD is far, far more dependent on institutional (read state) money to fund their athletic programs. USD's ticket revenues and corporate sponsorship have been far less than SDSU's.
                            It's the off-season, and we have a break before WBB game. Figured we could simultanoeusly scoff, despise 'Yotes, and ponder conference/league membership.

I also didn't intend to detract from any meting of criticism toward USD

Comment

It's the off-season, and we have a break before WBB game. Figured we could simultanoeusly scoff, despise 'Yotes, and ponder conference/league membership.

I also didn't intend to detract from any meting of criticism toward USD
                              Heh. Well-said!
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X