Showdown Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Showdown Series

Is this still a thing? There use to be a website but I can’t seem to find one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took about two minutes trying to find a website or some current reference to the Showdown Series. I, too, found nothing current.

I'd prefer it just go away. I don't pay any attention to the Series and think it is inherently flawed because SDSU invests in several additional sports compared to USD and there's no adjustment for that. But, its nothing to lose sleep over. .

Comment

I personally like it, and yes there are different sports. USD sponsors a couple that we don’t have as well. But I like it much better when we win it!

Comment

Originally posted by JRFanatic View Post
        I personally like it, and yes there are different sports. USD sponsors a couple that we don’t have as well. But I like it much better when we win it!

I wonder if marketing/ad revenue for Showdown was a casualty of SD Corn's fiscal "inappropriate behavior."

They used to run ads on scoreboard during FB games' media timeouts, and I don't recall those running as frequently last season either.

Comment

Originally posted by JRFanatic View Post
          I personally like it, and yes there are different sports. USD sponsors a couple that we don't....
          You're right: SDSU sponsors 8 sports for men and 9 for women.* USD sponsors 6 for men and 10 for women.*

The sports sponsored are the same for each school except for the following differences:
          On the men's side, SDSU sponsors baseball and wrestling. USD does not.
          On the women's side, SDSU sponsors equestrian while USD does not; however, USD sponsors tennis and triathlon while SDSU does not.

*Some schools will count indoor track & field and outdoor track & field as two separate sports. Both SDSU and USD have indoor and outdoor track & field.

Comment

The "Showdown Series" continues. I was stumbling around on the internet and came across the following site (link below) which shows First Interstate Bank is now sponsoring the "Showdown Series" between SDSU and USD.

Here's the 'headline' for the story which is dated October 3, 2023 (see link below)

The all-sports rivalry series between South Dakota's two Division I athletic programs enters a new phase with First Interstate Bank taking over as presenting sponsor of the competition between University of South Dakota and South Dakota State University.

Same point system will be used.

Personally, I will continue to have the same lack of interest.

https://www.firstinterstatebank.com/...erstate-series

Comment

Hopefully this means we can burn all orange warm up shirts

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
                Hopefully this means we can burn all orange warm up shirts
                Good idea!. Likely those shirts will just disappear with a new sponsor in place.

I like the attention (and national notoriety) that the Dakota Marker has earned and I hope the athletic administration thinks very carefully about having any more "trophy" awards which may detract from the attention given to the Dakota Marker. One rare candidate for another trophy may be between Montana State and South Dakota State football. It is too early to actually plan for such a trophy but we are developing a fierce and regular rivalry with the Bobcats and if that continues, some day a rivalry trophy between MSU and SDSU football may be worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

One rare candidate for another trophy may be between Montana State and South Dakota State football. It is too early to actually plan for such a trophy but we are developing a fierce and regular rivalry with the Bobcats and if that continues, some day a rivalry trophy between MSU and SDSU football may be worthwhile.
                  I'd be wary of adding an out-of-conference trophy game. I assume that would make this an annual battle and doing that ends up limiting your scheduling option. Look at Iowa's trophy games. They have 4 permanent trophy opponents on their schedule now - Iowa State, Minny, Wisky, and Nebraska. It has severely limited their scheduling ability.

Adding 1 more in-conference trophy game wouldn't be bad, especially if its USD or even UNI/UND. I like the rivalry idea with Montana State but keep the option open to have other opponents when the need arises.
                  Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                  -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post

I'd be wary of adding an out-of-conference trophy game. I assume that would make this an annual battle and doing that ends up limiting your scheduling option. Look at Iowa's trophy games. They have 4 permanent trophy opponents on their schedule now - Iowa State, Minny, Wisky, and Nebraska. It has severely limited their scheduling ability.

Adding 1 more in-conference trophy game wouldn't be bad, especially if its USD or even UNI/UND. I like the rivalry idea with Montana State but keep the option open to have other opponents when the need arises.
                    You're concerns make good sense. I've always thought Minnesota had too many trophy games but there's a lot of history behind Minnesota's two Big Ten trophy games: Michigan and Wisconsin. I understand Minnesota and Michigan have not played every year and I wonder if the expansion of the Big 10 will cause more trophy-game gaps in the Big 10.

Comment

Per page 4 of the attached article, USD & SDSU used to play for the Little Brown Jug. I graduated from USD in 1976 and never heard of it during my time at USD or thereafter until a few years ago, when someone did a feature on the jug. The attached picture shows that it has been updated through 2016. I have no idea why the Jug stopped being awarded to the winner each year, but would love to see the tradition reinstated.
                      https://openprairie.sdstate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1244&context=collegian_196 9-1969

Jug 2.jpg
                      USD Fan

Comment

Jug 1.jpg
                        Here is another picture of the jug.
                        USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
                          Jug 1.jpg
                          Here is another picture of the jug.
                          100% behind this.

Who is Roy C Davis?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

You're concerns make good sense. I've always thought Minnesota had too many trophy games but there's a lot of history behind Minnesota's two Big Ten trophy games: Michigan and Wisconsin. I understand Minnesota and Michigan have not played every year and I wonder if the expansion of the Big 10 will cause more trophy-game gaps in the Big 10.
                            Are you purposely leaving off the greatest trophy in all of college (bowl-level) football - Floyd????

Comment

Per this article, he was the owner of Davis Pharmacy in Vermillion. The article, which is dated January 16, 2015, notes that the Davis Pharmacy was still owned by the Davis/Lavin family at the date of the article.
                              https://www.plaintalk.net/local_news...04d5470cc.html

Davis Pharmacy is still in operation today and ownership has passed to the next generation of the Lavin family per the attached link to the Davis Pharmacy website
                              https://www.davispharmacy.com/about-us
                              USD Fan

Comment

Working...
                              X