SDSU Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU Hockey

I am in no way advocating for SDSU hockey but does anyone think it would ever be possible? Has it ever been rumored in the past? What would it take?

I recall filbert mentioning the below post

Originally posted by filbert View Post

If you add men's soccer, you will likely have to either drop another men's sport or add another women's sport. Recall that the reason that equestrian is offered by SDSU is to offset the added football scholarships of the move to D-I with women's sport scholarships.
    26 players on the roster based on the University of Minnesota's page. I wonder if you would be able to field a team using all partial scholarships if the school were to add another women's sport. Which sport would be added or removed? An easy 1:1 would be a women's hockey team like Minnesota. U of M also also has rowing, gymnastics, and tennis on the women's side.

edit: just saw the Matt Zimmer Augie hockey tweet. Looks like they've recently added Acrobatics and Tumbling (only 7 D1 programs for reference) and will have women's lacrosse at the club level for 23-24 and 24-25 before it becomes a varsity sport in 25-26.
    Last edited by peavy; 11-02-2022, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
      I am in no way advocating for SDSU hockey but does anyone think it would ever be possible? Has it ever been rumored in the past? What would it take?
      I don’t think Brookings has a big enough population base to support a successful D1 hockey program.

I have heard rumblings that SDSU is at least having conversations about adding a womens bowling program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It takes some major $ to operate a Division I hockey program.

Comment

I would be surprised if it was a topic of conversation based on start up costs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
            For this to happen SDSU would need to build a facility. The Larson Ice Center would not work as the Brookings Ice Skating Association would not be in favor of it. The did everything possible to make it difficult on the Brookings Blizzard to establish themselves back in the day.
            We...ARE...STATE!
            SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Working...
            X