There he goes again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: There he goes again!

I'm should have proofed my post. NOT WILLING. I don't know why it did not recieve any press. The Yankton paper seems to print everything old Frank has to say.

Comment

From the South Dakota Legislature web page. The bill is liAdd Notes
      State of South Dakota
      SEVENTY-NINTH SESSION
      LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY, 2004

389J0081 SENATE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION NO. 1

Introduced by: Senators Kooistra, Albers, Kloucek, and Reedy and Representatives Gillespie, Begalka, and Nesselhuf

A CONCURRENT RESOLUTION, Encouraging the South Dakota Board of Regents to rescind its support of South Dakota State University's pursuit to move from the National Collegiate Athletic Association Division II to Division I.

WHEREAS, the control of South Dakota State University and the other public postsecondary education institutions in this state is vested solely in the South Dakota Board of Regents; and

WHEREAS, South Dakota State University has launched an aggressive and expensive campaign to move its athletic program to the National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I level; and

WHEREAS, South Dakota State University's campus housing is already in short supply, and other campus buildings and facilities are in need of repairs and improvements; and

WHEREAS, relying on private funds, ticket sales, sponsorships, and concessions to generate the additional revenue necessary to compete at the Division I level is especially risky during times of economic uncertainty; and

WHEREAS, officials at South Dakota State University indicated that they would first find
      an athletic conference to join before moving ahead with the transition to Division I; and

WHEREAS, South Dakota State University's recent attempts to form a new Division I conference or to join the existing Big Sky Conference have been unsuccessful:

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, by the Senate of the Seventy-ninth Legislature of the State of South Dakota, the House of Representatives concurring therein, that the Legislature encourages the South Dakota Board of Regents to rescind its support of South Dakota State University's pursuit to move from National Collegiate Athletics Association Division II to Division I.
      sted as Senate Concurrent Resolution No1 (SCR1)

Comment

Found some more stuff, it looks like they are being clever on this bill by bundleing with other bills that have nothing to do with SDSU.  The committee apparently unbundled and set one bill for a hearing and then killed the resolution by deferring it to the 36th Day of the Legislature.  Since the legislative session is 35 days, that kind tells the story.  Anybody else with some insight on how the SD legislature works should add here to the dialogue, but it appears to be as JACKGUY stated dead on arrival at the committee.

Add Notes

Senate Concurrent Resolution 1
        Senators Kooistra, Albers, Kloucek, and Reedy and Representatives Gillespie, Begalka, and Nesselhuf
        Encouraging the South Dakota Board of Regents to rescind its support of South Dakota State University's pursuit to move from the National Collegiate Athletic Association Division II to Division I.
        Subject Index: Senate Concurrent Resolutions  
        Date Action  
        01/20/2004 Senate Introduced and referred to Senate Education S.J. 61  
        01/27/2004 Scheduled for committee hearing on this date  
        01/27/2004 Education Deferred to 36th legislative day Passed, YEAS 4, NAYS 2. S.J. 163  

Bill Text Versions
        Date HTML Version Acrobat Version
        01/20/2004 As Introduced As Introduced

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        2004 Session Menu
        Last Updated: 1/30/2004 4:09:42 PM

Comment

First off, as a former constituent of Kloucek's I can confirm that he's no prize pig.

Yes, the 36th day deferment means SCR 1 is dead. Yesterday, the Education committee also killed Kloucek's SB140 that had a more teeth than the resolution. Audio of the Committee hearing is available on the Legislature's website. Sounds like the issue is dead for the 2004 legislative session.

Comment

I listen to  the hearing on SR140.  Harry Mansheim a State Farm Insurance agent in Brookings spoke for the bill and he said something to the effect that the money being raised by the foundation should be used to strengthen the D2 program.  When D2 lowers the limits in number of scholarships, I wonder what would happen to the surplus funds not needed? Would we give it as a guarentee to Upper Iowa and then beat the snot out of them at Coughlin?  Then Harry could really wave his ridiculous blue hat and ring his cow bell.

Harry can take his blue cowboy hat and put it where the moon does not shine.

Tad Perry Executive Director, SD Board of Regents gave good testimony in support of the move and he his getting tired of having to explain this to the opponents of D1.  These guys on the committee are too, since they have had these kind of bills for two year now and are getting tired of putting them on the 36th day of the legislative calender.

Comment

Working...
            X