USD Sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD Sports

USD seems to be in world of hurt when it comes to Title IX, maintaining facilities and the athletic department in general.  It's sad to see baseball dropped from their program.  USD also needs to take a look at their facilities.  Their bleachers are condemned on the baseball field (doesn't matter anymore) and the outfield fence for fastpitch softball is an orange snow fence.  I think Joel Nielson is facing a tough job with cleaning up the athletic department.  

I realize SDSU's women's fastpitch field is less than ideal (on the outskirts of town at Southbrook) but it's my understanding that they are looking into developing Southside field just off main street for a future facility.  

SDSU fans and alumni can really be proud of the administration within our university.  Our alumni association also does a teriffic job.  The other day my fiance--who earned her undergrad at SDSU and is now in PT school at USD--recieved a call from USD asking her to donate to the school.  They asked her (a student) to help show USD alumni that, in not so many words, it's O.K. to donate.  It must be getting bad when they are asking students to set the example for alumni to follow.  She responded to the request is the appropriate manner, "I will donate to SDSU, where I recieved my undergrad."

Comment

Here is the latest on the Coyote's Baseball team:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sa...article1.shtml

Coyotes' baseball players still angry
      Matt Zimmer
      For the Argus Leader

published: 4/10/2004

With team axed, they want to win

VERMILLION - Justin Carey shouted at his infielders, cursed himself after throwing bad pitches and gleefully hopped off the mound after escaping a jam.

After pitching five shutout innings, the University of South Dakota sophomore was gracious and jovial in discussing his fourth win of the year.

Then the subject switched to the pending elimination of the Coyotes' baseball program. Carey's mood immediately changed.

"I ain't ending my career like this, and I don't think anyone else in here is either," Carey said. "They say we have a terrible field which prevents us from getting good players, but that's bull----." . . .

But clearly, their minds were on Tuesday's announcement that the university decided to cut the baseball program to help comply with federal Title IX regulations. . . .

Senior outfielder Bryan Hohenthaner, a Sioux Falls Roosevelt grad and Post 15 East product, said the school put the team's underclassmen in an unfair situation.

"The school betrayed them," Hohenthaner said. "They promised them a chance to complete their education as baseball players, and then they decide over the space of about a month that they're just going to cut the whole thing. It isn't fair." . . .

Atchison has been coaching the Coyotes for six seasons. He, like his players, now faces uncertainty.

"My wife and I are expecting a child, and at this point I've got 29 players to worry about," Atchison said regarding his future. "The Lord has a plan, and I honestly believe there is a reason we're going through this. There's something bigger and better out there for all of us."  

All I can say is that Justin Carey is an articulate fellow.  It is good to see that the self-proclaimed "Ivy League of the Plains" is doing a fine job with it's english dept.  :

I still feel bad for the coaches and players.    Although that is what you get for choosing to go to USD.  Friends don't let friends go to the U.  

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
        "I ain't ending my career like this, and I don't think anyone else in here is either," Carey said. "They say we have a terrible field which prevents us from getting good players, but that's bull----." . . .
        hahahahahaha

Comment

Working...
        X