Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU not the biggest anymore

Originally posted by Roger

I live in BRK, but take a few classes down at USDSU. It's a nicer school, more responsive faculty, ang generally a vastly improved school. I can see why SDSU and USD are so fearful of it -- USDSU isn't a dumpy hole (ever been in Scobey for a class?) with rampantly fubared HVAC and littered with broken desks and pissed off physical plant dullards.

USDSU, despite what you all might think, SHOULD be the 7th public uni. People are not going to quit jobs and waste hours driving to BRK for an education. They just won't get it. If this state is to move forward, and god knows it's time, education for the vast number of people in SF is necesary. Augie and USF have a totally different mission. . . .
    I think most would agree that USDSU has a valid mission.  I think you are 100% right that their needs to be a way for non-traditional students to get an education.  I also believe you are right that "People are not going to quit jobs. . .for an education".  Meeting the needs of the Sioux Falls non-traditional student is, and should be, USDSU's mission.  So far we are in 100% agreement, I think.  

If you feel, like some of the powers that be in Sioux Falls, that USDSU mission should duplicate the missions of the better established universities. . .well then we will have to disagree.  I think what concerns folks on this board (what you call fear) is that for political reasons, the State of South Dakota will waste precious resources on duplicated efforts.  As you so eloquently pointed out SDSU has needs (as do all the Universities) and each year the State has asked the Universities to do more with less.  So if there are less resources to go around, for what we already have.  Why would we want to be redundant by assigning the same mission to USDSU?

My last point address the Scobey Hall comment.  Which looks surprisingly like a quote from Buster dated Feb. 8th 2004:

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...6012404;start=

South Dakota State / Jackrabbit football / Re: What did SDSU ever do to the Argus??  Feb 8th, 2004, 1:12pm

The reason people in Brookings so detest USDSU, it seems, is because they've done it better. The classrooms are not full of crappy broken desks, shoddy equipment, and designed from converted offices and dorms. I recall classes I had on Scobey hall -- what a joke. They're the kind of rooms better suited to brutal interrogations than education.  

My answear then, as it is today, is that USDSU is one building shared with a Vo-tech that was built 10 years ago, if that .  SDSU is a Doctoral Granting Research University that has been around for 123 years with hundreds of building.  Some of these building are over 100 years old.  Not really a fair comparison.  Perhaps it would be a more meaningful comparison if you were to pick a building on campus that is a little closer in age.   :

Go State!

Comment

Well said jacksfaan/Rob... I think you should register on the board, and become a frequent contributor to our discussions. I think you are right about usdsu-This is a joint venture between the two schools to compliment some shared programs as I understand it. My niece (a nursing major at SDSU) takes one class at usdsu. but she in no way identifies with that institution. its just where the class was offered this semester. I still may be missing something but how can usdsd rise up to become an completely seperate school? Is this how IUPUI and IUPFW began?

Comment

Roger,
        I can't believe you run down the facilities at SDSU, The buildings and campus at State are second to none! I live in Texas but spend more time on SDSU's campus than many people that live in Brookings. You need to get out of Brookings and do some comparative shopping at universities around the country. You wouldnt believe some of the buildings at MOST state universities around the nation. SDSU doesnt take a back seat to ANY school when it comes to nice buildings and classrooms. I could probably name you 5 big D1A schools where Scobey hall would be one of the nicer buildings on it. Get Real !

Comment

Originally posted by Roger

I live in BRK, but take a few classes down at USDSU. It's a nicer school, more responsive faculty, ang generally a vastly improved school. I can see why SDSU and USD are so fearful of it -- USDSU isn't a dumpy hole (ever been in Scobey for a class?) with rampantly fubared HVAC and littered with broken desks and pissed off physical plant dullards.

USDSU, despite what you all might think, SHOULD be the 7th public uni. People are not going to quit jobs and waste hours driving to BRK for an education. They just won't get it. If this state is to move forward, and god knows it's time, education for the vast number of people in SF is necesary. Augie and USF have a totally different mission. USDSU needs to fill a public need and SDSU and USD need to quit crapping in the sink.
          In replying to a post it is traditional to address the points being made in that post, or at least to show some degree of comprehension of those points being made.

Where in my post did I give any indication that I was, as you so pungently put it, "crapping in the sink?" If you had read my post you would have seen that I said, "I don't honestly think that will hurt SDSU too much." A reasonable person would infer from that statement that I had no major problem with state higher education having a presence in the SF metro area.

I do think that a model closer to KU's Edwards Campus in suburban Kansas City is more reasonable for that Sioux Falls presence than an independent state university.

As to your complaints regarding the condition of the SDSU physical plant, please direct your comments to where they would do some good--the SD Legislature, which has for DECADES under-funded the maintenance needs of all of the universities. Give it 50 years with no fundamental change in state policy, and you'll see the shiny new Sioux Falls buildings starting to fall apart, too.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Roger sounds like one of those know it all son of b#####'# from headquarters. Maybe he ought to move his ass to Sioux Falls so he won't have to drive as far. Oh, and he can take his superior attitude with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
              Roger,
              I can't believe you run down the facilities at SDSU, The buildings and campus at State are second to none!  I live in Texas but spend more time on SDSU's campus than many people that live in Brookings. You need to get out of Brookings and do some comparative shopping at universities around the country. You wouldnt believe some of the buildings at MOST state universities around the nation.  SDSU doesnt take a back seat to ANY school when it comes to nice buildings and classrooms. I could probably name you 5 big D1A schools where Scobey hall would be one of the nicer buildings on it. Get Real !
              Actually, I should have included in my Roger response that, given the lack of resources, the physical plant staff of all six universities do a heroic job of keeping up the campuses. If you want to see a pit of a building, go to Allen Fieldhouse in Lawrence (yes, home of the Kansas Jayhawks). It's Scobey Hall-level scuzzy. That's actually part of its charm.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I still may be missing something but how can usdsd rise up to become an completely seperate school? Is this how IUPUI and IUPFW began?
                From what I can tell, IUPUI and IPFW are not independent. They still answears to IU. I could be wrong, this seems to be a complicated issue in Indiana.

http://www.iport.iupui.edu/iupui/

IUPUI is an urban research university created in 1969 as a partnership by and between Indiana and Purdue Universities, with IU as the managing partner.

http://www.ipfw.edu/about/history.shtml

The campus was united administratively under a single Chancellor by official action of the trustees of Indiana and Purdue Universities on June 29, 1974. Dr. Donald Schwartz became the first Chancellor of the IPFW campus. Academic reorganization of divisions, schools, departments continued to occur well into the early nineties.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert

I do think that a model closer to KU's Edwards Campus in suburban Kansas City is more reasonable for that Sioux Falls presence than an independent state university.
                  I agree 100%!

Go State!

Comment

I still may be missing something but how can usdsd rise up to become an completely seperate school? Is this how IUPUI and IUPFW began?
                    This is my question also. Is there a precedent for this sort of development? If so, who funded it and where is it found?

Another point, the buildings at the USD campus in Vermillion are much worse than anything at SDSU, as is the dome, the baseball fields, etc.. Take a look at the newer buildings on the SDSU campus and there you will see comparable facilities to the USDSU.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I would like to think the initial post that started this thread is pure poppy ****, but I dont think it is. Planners with egos some times carry water for certain leaders in Sioux Falls that have egos. I have much suspcion about the Argus Leader and how they have reacted to SDSU in terms of the D1AA football and D1 move.

If SDSU's move is going to crap on the Sioux Falls master plan for future educational development, ie a 4 year institution, why would the Argus not voice all the negatives. The only reason they are not saying much now is that the negativity is not sticking.

Surely the publisher is clued in on a number of future developments, but maybe are commited to silence in terms of news articles. I think all this stuff is not idle chatter, but realistic ideas in some minds.

I for one am keeping my eyes open. Until then I guess USDSU is a commuter school filling a need, and yes I support what they are doing and how it benefits SDSU.
                      I dont dispute comments made about that.

Going 50 miles two times a day is no longer a big deal.
                      So for the dreamers, I mean Sioux Falls planners, the concept of a separate 4 year institution is now a big pipe dream. Ever tried to buy real estate between Brookings and Sioux Falls other than farm land? Acreages and country homes are not cheap and going at a premium rate. That tells us some thing about the shrinkage of distance between Brookings and Sioux Falls.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

This is my question also.  Is there a precedent for this sort of development?  If so, who funded it and where is it found?

Another point, the buildings at the USD campus in Vermillion are much worse than anything at SDSU, as is the dome, the baseball fields, etc..  Take a look at the newer buildings on the SDSU campus and there you will see comparable facilities to the USDSU.
                        I am with you Jackmd, its seem very unlikely on the surface, but what goes on in Pierre and other places would surprise a lot of us. I dont see the legislature changing much. I would look for our buddy Kooistra from Garretson for being the head guy on this move if it happens in the next session. Kooistra is on the education committee, but not the chairman. We need to watch what he does next time around.

Comment

Wow, leave the board for a day and look what happens, Three universities are closing, two are moving to sioux falls and poor old black hills state is standing by itself in lonely spearfish. Personally, i don't think there is anyway possible that the USDSU campus would ever grow to the size of SDSU or even USD. Secondly, its easy to count every student taking a two credit class at USDSU as a student. However big difference in the number of full time students at USDSU versus Black Hills let alone USD or SDSU. And half of the students in Sioux Falls are probably full time at one of the other three universities or will be within the next year or two.

As Roger said, I'm sure the faculty is nicer at USDSU, they are the nice faculty from the universities that choose to teach a class in Sioux Falls. I'm sure the student affairs staff is nice as well, any problems and they can direct the student back to their home institution to get it resolved. It's kind of like playing good parent/bad parent when you were a kid. USDSU is soooo great but the big bad universities are so difficult. Yet they process all the applications, give out all the financial aid, report grades, get faculty, graduate students, etc. etc. etc.

USDSU is great for south dakota and especially sioux falls, however it is a long ways from becoming an independent university. I'm one that is hard to convince you will ever be able to receive a diploma with USDSU on the top of it. Roger can take his classes in sioux falls, the rest of us will be getting our degrees from SDSU and still crapping in the sink
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack
                            Roger sounds like one of those know it all son of b#####'# from headquarters. Maybe he ought to move his ass to Sioux Falls so he won't have to drive as far. Oh, and he can take his superior attitude with him.
                            Thank you Jack. I can't imagine living in Sioux Falls. It seems there so many forward thinking people with attitudes similar to yours in Brookings. How can a person go wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by filbert

As to your complaints regarding the condition of the SDSU physical plant, please direct your comments to where they would do some good--the SD Legislature, which has for DECADES under-funded the maintenance needs of all of the universities. Give it 50 years with no fundamental change in state policy, and you'll see the shiny new Sioux Falls buildings starting to fall apart, too.
                              There's no doubt about the underfunded nature of the PPlant. Considering that the average yearly salary of pplant employees is something like 13,000 to 16,000, you can imagine they draw only the cream of the talent with those bank busting salaries. I'll bet the application line for those jobs stretches all the way to the unemploment office.

Comment

Roger, what is the point of your previous post? The post before that doesn't make sense either.

Comment

Working...
                                X