Scholarships as we move to D-I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scholarships as we move to D-I

SDSUFAN, that's a lot of info, thanks. I have no idea how the NDSU endowment system is set up, but it did say in the Forum that basically Pat Simmers, executive director of Teammakers, handles donations less than 10,000, and Inniger handles donations larger than that. But it appears that Teammakers is separate from the endowment, so I don't know if that means donations less than 10,000 are factored into the Teammakers' earnings or not. At any rate, I guess money is money and we all need some.

Comment

Re: Scholarships as we move to D-I

Here is part of the Argus story.  Looks like it comes down to Title IX and how you go about complying with it.  After USD lost their law suite I am sure we are being very careful.  

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Tuesdayarticle1.shtml

NDSU using scholarships to gain D-I jump on Jackrabbits
      The Associated Press

published: 5/18/2004

Bison add $1.7M to athletic budget

FARGO, N.D. - North Dakota State is using scholarship offers to gain a competitive edge over South Dakota State, which also is entering NCAA Division I athletics this fall.

NDSU is increasing its sports budget by $1.7 million, compared to a $1.2 million jump by SDSU.

An analysis by The (Fargo) Forum of the upcoming sports budgets at the two universities found the difference is most glaring in football, where both schools will join the Great West Football Conference.

Last year, both were at the Division II maximum of 36 scholarships. This fall, NDSU will fund 18 new football scholarships, compared with an addition of two at SDSU, The Forum reported Monday. . . .

SDSU is adding 9 scholarships in women's sports and 4 in men's sports for next year. NDSU is adding almost 50, The Forum said.

"I'm comfortable with what the administration is allowing us to plan to do," said SDSU football coach John Stiegelmeier. "We have a plan on when we're going to bump up the scholarships."

SDSU athletic director Fred Oien said SDSU will reach 60 football scholarships by the time the school is eligible for Division I-AA postseason play in 2008.

NDSU wants to reach the Division I-AA maximum of 63 scholarships by 2005. Under NCAA rules, the Bison need to average 60 scholarships over a three-year period before they are eligible to schedule a Division I-A opponent.

The motivation is financial in nature: Division I-A teams pay big guarantees.

NDSU's 2004-05 total sports budget is projected at $7.7 million, up from $6 million this year. SDSU will move from $4.3 million to $5.5 million. . . .

In the offseason, NDSU is doling more dollars for 54 football scholarships, compared with 38 at SDSU.

"But South Dakota State is a program where everybody is taking steps together, and that is what we're going to do," Stiegelmeier said.

Oien said SDSU's first priority is to balance its Title IX issues. It will add women's equestrian in fall 2005, a sport that has an average team size of 60 members, school officials said.

NCAA schools are required to meet one of three Title IX requirements: proportionality, a mandate that requires scholarship numbers to be in accordance to the ratio of male and female students; interest and abilities to provide equal opportunities in athletics; or a history of continually adding women's sports.

NDSU signed off with the Office of Civil Rights on meeting interest and abilities, said women's athletic director Lynn Dorn.

SDSU appears to be taking the proportionality route. It is slated to have 76 scholarships for both men and women by 2007.

"We understand we have to move football as quickly as we can," Oien said. "At the same time, it was very clear that we have to be careful. It would be simple if it was a one-dimensional problem."

SDSU's sports budget, while short of NDSU's, is still higher than many Division I-AA football schools. SDSU is well ahead of a former NCC member who made the Division I jump last year. Northern Colorado spent its first year in Division I at $4.1 million, a figure that is expected to increase to $4.5 million. . . .

I also noticed this week that Black Hills State and Dakota State are following SDSU's lead by adding Women's sports. Rather then following the USD model of cutting Men's sports to comply with Title IX.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Working...
      X