Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD and Daktronics Partnership

Jackrabbit Nation:

Think of this. Daktronics likely takes a very significant part of the advertising revenue. They put in the scoreboards and they sell the advertising.

Smart.

Buy stock in Daktronics.

Many (or all) of those advertisers budget a certain amount each year for promotions. When those boards are on the wall, USD will likely lose significant annual support from those advertisers. Bank "XYZ" may have set aside $10,000 for promotions at USD. Now, rather than the $10k going into the USD athletic budget, most or all of that money will flow to Daktronics.

History lesson: Any of you old enough to remember when Karl Miller was building the DakotaDome? Loyal athletic supporters at the U, people who could be counted on to purchase a season ticket each year, ponied up a little extra money and purchased a 10-year or seat contract. It worked to build the building but soon after the doors opened, the U realized it had given up some of the revenue that would have been realized if they could sell those seats for each game or each season. Probably the U supporters who bought the long-term contracts, with a little extra prodding, would have BOTH donated to the building fund AND bought a season ticket each year.

It's all a matter of one's philosophy on fund raising. The U thinks they're doing it correctly. The scoreboard deal may not be dumb but it may not be the smartest approach.

We'll see.

I think that if SDSU obtains new scoreboards, it will want to hang on dearly to the advertising revenue. That's a steady source of income, particularly if your teams have winning seasons each year and there are a lot of butts in the seats.

In the very near future, SDSU should look into licensing its names and logos. Most D-1 programs license their names, logos, designs etc. and they pick up a buck or so every time you put on that baseball cap, t-shirt or sweatshirt.

Go Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
      Jackrabbit Nation:

Think of this.  Daktronics likely takes a very significant part of the advertising revenue.  They put in the scoreboards and they sell the advertising.  

In the very near future, SDSU should look into licensing its names and logos.   Most D-1 programs license their names, logos, designs etc. and they pick up a buck or so every time you put on that baseball cap, t-shirt or sweatshirt.

Go Jacks.
      NDSU gets all of the revenue from the advertising on the scoreboard and ad panels. I doubt USD would have a different arrangement. :-/ NDSU also recieves money from any licensed apparell. You can buy a NDSU hat at a truckstop, and NDSU recieves money.

Comment

Bisonguy: I hope for USD's sake you're right but I'm hearing otherwise...I've heard that they are not getting all of the ad revenue (and that's how they can "afford" top-notch scoreboards).

I knew NDSU licensed it's names and logos but I don't think SDSU does that. It should.

For decades, NDSU has run its athletic programs, fund-raising etc., like a D-1 school and we can learn from that.
        Maybe NDSU will share some secrets...after all, the great NDSU track coach, Don Larson, is a Jackrabbit!

Go Jacks.

Comment

SDSU has licensed its name and logo already.  So everything that is sold with the SDSU logo on it brings in money to State.  Check out the tags the next time you by Jackrabbit apperal.  

As far as USD new scoreboards goes, I believe that JackJD has it right.  This is the big sticking point between Daktronics and SDSU.  I don't think USD gets ANY of the ad revenue, it ALL goes to Daktronics.  Alumguy seems very tuned into this issue perhaps he can enlighten us further.  

Comment

Just saw some fans talking about Daktronics on the Northwest State message board. It appears NSU and McNeese State are getting new scoreboards/videoboards and the scoreboards are paid for by advertising sold by Daktronics. It sounds like something they do to help out the schools. With the Fargodome being a city owned property, it probably was a different scenario.

Comment

I can all but garuntee that Daktronics is getting the lion's share of the ad dollars from the new boards at USD. It is my understanding that this is the major hitch in negotiations between SDSU and Dak regarding new boards for Frost and Coughlin. SDSU wants full rights to ad dollars and a fair price. Of course, Dak wants their standard deal, ad rights. Maybe my sources are in error but this is what I have been hearing.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I would not worry about the relationship between SDSU and Daktronics.  One of the auction items at the Stan Marshall event, was two tickets to the SuperBowl in Jacksonville, Florida next January.  Dakt just done a score job with the Jaguars and they offered Dakt two tickets and a four night stay on a cruise ship. Al Kurtenbach or Jim Morgan could have kept the tickets for themselves, but instead presented them to be auctioned.  They were sold for $4,800 which made for a nice contribution to SDSU.

There may be hangs ups in negiotiation, but I am sure they will be worked out.  A scoreboard is more expensive than a skateboard, so I think Daktronics has to look out for themselves just as any business has to do the same.

Comment

Why should we care what they're doing to that over-sized outhouse down in Vermillion anyway? We're not going to play there.

Comment

USD is doing anything they can to generate some press and interest in their program.

Comment

Everyone on this message board has spent a lot of time discussing new scoreboards...The hang up as speculated appears to be ad revenue, SDSU is not willing to give up this revenue stream just to have new boards (like usd did)- It sounds like this will be/has been resolved. this is what I have been able to decipher... several people told me the new boards will be in Frost for the 05-06 season, however one individual in the know said that its possible they could be in by this coming season. a new main hanging board and slow motion video boards on the ends. The situation at Coughlin appears a little more scetchy, the new boards may not be installed until the new locker rooms are built on the north end of the stadium. when this is going to happen-I dont know. One other improvement to Frost next year will be new Hydra-Rib baskets-say goodbye to the hanging baskets we're used to seeing. Frost will look much diffrent (better) when we all see it next season!!

Comment

I hope one of the improvements at Frost is a board similiar to the one in Mankato that features points/fouls etc of all players on the floor. A replay board at Coughlin would be very nice. I think the lockeroom situation has to be a priority as the Jacks is way to small and the visitors walk all the way to Frost at half time. I would think it's hard to sell a recruit on both our lockeroom situation and workout facility.

Comment

Working...
                        X