Stan Marshall Golf Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stan Marshall Golf Tournament

In addition to the $64,000 raised at the auction. SDSU put another $10,000 in the coffers when one of the players made a HOLE in ONE on hole 3. It will be a split pay-out with $10,000 to the golfer and $10,000 to SDSU.

This is the first hole in one ever made in this event. Maybe a sign of more good things to come with our move to D1.

GO JACKS
    Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!!!

Comment

I left after the morning session and didnt make it back to the evening bbq. I had'nt heard about the hole-in one-thats great!! Who made it?
      This event is fantastic. Its a great chance to mingle with other Jack fans but also to meet most of the coaches and some of the past and current players.
      Everyone on the board should make time for this event next year. It is well worth going and I am planning on attending all future Stan Marshall's.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
        I left after the morning session and didnt make it back to the evening bbq. I had'nt heard about the hole-in one-thats great!! Who made it?
        This event is fantastic. Its a great chance to mingle with other Jack fans but also to meet most of the coaches and some of the past and current players.
        Everyone on the board should make time for this event next year. It is well worth going and I am planning on attending all future Stan Marshall's.
        From the Argus leader:

Eric Peterson made a hole-in-one worth $20,000 Saturday at Brookings Country Club during the Stan Marshall Celebrity Golf Classic. He used an 8-iron from 151 yards on the No. 3 hole. The ace was worth $10,000 to Peterson and $10,000 for the Stan Marshall Athletic Scholarship Fund at South Dakota State.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I am still looking for my most recent SDSU foundation Annual report. I found my 2001 report, and the figures for the Stan Marshall Edowment as of 12/31/2001 were 181,642 in total contributions and market value of 192,688.86.

In 2001, there were $5,535.34 in endowment income available for scholarship awards.  I suspect with this years 74,000 additional  donations, the total endowment probably exceeds $300,000.  I am going to keep looking for my report and will update when I find it.

Comment

I played in the Stan Marshall. It was just a beautiful day. There was a rain delay for about an hour, but that just gave us time for a few more "Stanley's". They are a special drink the Brookings Country Club made up for the event. They went down like koolaid, but they had a punch. Dr. Booher did drive the beer cart. The only change was that each player was given three drink tickets instead of the "open bar" the last couple of years. I suppose they felt that was a liability risk. I didn't see the hole-in-one, but there wasn't much doubt about what happened when I heard the yelling. I pretty much left after a quick bbq. The only thing I didn't hear is who won the tournament?

The auction was awesome! The Dweebs were a blast! If you aren't in the tournament, get in next year. It's a great weekend and the money goes to our beloved bunnies!

Ok, now I'm rambling, but I did hear that some of the proceeds got to the Stan Marshall Scholarship and some of the proceeds goes towards the scolarship bill each year rather than an endowment. That is the reason I started this post. I don't know if that's true but it was a committee member that made the comment.
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

If it was a designated gift towards Stan Marshall endowment, the foundation would have no choice but to credit the endowment. Since the auction and other events are fund-raising events, maybe it does give the administration some discretion in how this is used. I would think that since Stan Marshall memory is held in esteem, that the money would all go to the endowment. It would make more sense if it did. There are other ways to meet the scholarship requirements, student fees and undesignated gifts to the Jackrabbit Club etc etc. No need to rob memory of Stan Marshall.

Comment

In the Jacks E-Mail Newsletter they indicated a record $118,000 was raised at the Stan Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                  In the Jacks E-Mail Newsletter they indicated a record $118,000 was raised at the Stan Marshall.
                  Now that  I think about it I did get in the mail a break-down of how the 185 dollars for entry was allocated.
                  The receipt said that 55 dollars of the 185 went to the Stan Marshall endowment.  I think once you get the participation to maybe 150, there is a breakeven point of where receipts equal expenses, and after that, its gravy or margin.  So I think this 55 dollars would be the excess of receipts over disbursements or expenses for the event.  On auction 64,000 was taken in and 10,000 for the hole in one event makes $74,000 and the difference between 118,000 is $44,000 which may be the result of each of us eating less sandwich meat at the the auction and etc etc.  Plus they would have to received some of the consessions receipts from both the Swifttel and Brookings Country Club bar receipts. Also you have to credit Pete Binker for his free Burger Kings on the golf course. All these things probably make up the difference.

From what I been told there have been years especially when it first started where expenses were more than receipts.

So we add to the sucess of SDSU athletics by attending these events.

Comment

Working...
                  X