Facilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Facilities

Alumguy, I hear what you are saying and agree with you 100%.  As a side bar to the Vikings thing, while I was home over the holidays I heard on more then one occasion that if the Vikings didn't come they were going to talk to the Chiefs.

The Chiefs now do training camp at UW Riverfalls but they want a new home.  They have one year left on their contract with the University.  I wonder if the State, SDSU and Brookings could get in the running for that?  The upgrades could then be used by SD's own Jackrabbits.  Just a thought.

Comment

I saw this article on the Collegian page. Looks like we will be getting a new wellness center soon.

State grants approval to build new SDSU wellness center
      $5 million from state, $4 million from university helps with costs
      By Michelle Herrick
      Published: Tuesday, February 17, 2004

PIERRE (CNS) - South Dakota State University received the legislative go-ahead to begin construction on a new wellness center Feb. 12.

The state has agreed to throw in $5 million towards the cost of construction on top of the $4 million that the university has already raised from student fees, private donors and the city of Brookings.

"If you want a good healthy student body, I urge you to vote yes," said Sen. Robert Duxbury, D-Wessington, who is also an SDSU alum.

Duxbury cited the needs of a growing student population.

The wellness center will be built adjacent to the current athletic facility and will give students uninterrupted access to the swimming pool and other wellness activities.

The new facility will include counseling office space, a walking track, wellness testing, weight and exercise equipment and aerobic and exercise rooms.

Operating costs for the facility will come from student fees already included in the health and counseling budget and wellness center revenues.

House Bill 1018 passed by a 28-6 vote. It now goes to the governor for consideration.

Comment

I know in the past it was discussed that the wellness Center would be part of Coughlin Alumni, incorporating it into the "new" side of the stadium. This sounds like its going to be added to HPER/FROST. 9 million should build a pretty nice facility.

Comment

I noticed that too. I wonder if it will be North or South of Frost and if it will be conected to the current building. I also wonder if this means an indoor facility is out of the picture. Either way it should be a great facility for the students and I'm sure it will benefit the athletics in some way as well.

Comment

Its been one of those days where light bulbs come on. Its interesting that very little opposition is being made about the 5 million of tax payer money that will be part of the Wellness project. No out cry from the Argus Leader nor from Vermillion. Do you know why? Well I think I do. No long ago, a new roof was put on the Dakota Dome. One of the things that Bill Janklow did and he is no big fan of USD, although he is an alum, was to use 5 million of the tobacco trust fund money for the Dome project. I remember discussing this generous donation by then Gov Janklow, with Fred Oien. He said something to the effect that we will have our turn down the road, and that is about all he said. It looks to me that turn has come with the silent approprriation of 5 million dollars. I suppose Northern turn is next. :

I dont agree with adding on to Frost, with 9 million we are close to the needed funding of 14 million. It seems an addition to Frost would involve giving up current parking. Not such a great idea.

Comment

I contacted some folks "up the food chain" and they tell me the article in the Collegian is wrong. There is no $5 million dollars of taxpayer money going into the Wellness Center. No one seems to know where the student reporter got that information. The bill was to authorize $5 million for the facility. And, not all the money is there yet. At present, they have about $4 million for the Wellness Center.

False alarm.

Comment

It's funny I was thinking about that roof the other day. I agree that a free standing facility would be preferred. I also think it should be closer to Coughlin. Is it going to be a 9 million dollar or 14 million facililty. Will the workout areas in the HPER become exclusive to SDSU varsity athletes? What about the lockerroom situation
                for the jacks and visiting football teams.

Comment

So if I understand, The reporter said it was five million but in fact its 4 million. is the student fee money still 4 million for a total of 8 million?-I just need clarification. If so, I'm in agreement that this amount puts us close to the 14-15 million for the new stadium/wellness ctr. I would much rather wait and do that project rather than add onto an already beautiful facility like Frost.

Comment

REF Football dressing rooms.  The media guide last fall talked about the dressing room facility being built in the near future so I assume its the priority project on the board.  This is what makes the Colleigian Article confusing.

I bet some faculty advisor for the Collegian will be hearing about this article. I think printing stuff that is not correct or true, gets people in trouble and sometimes those responsible are lucky to get off with embarrasment and a red face.

I think some of the offical publications at SDSU could be helpful by doing an article on the priority of projects and what funding is still needed to get them off the ground. We never know who among our alums feels the urge to do something significant. If nothing else, the remaining paupers have an update on what is going.

Comment

Okay, let's give this a try. When the idea of a Wellness Center was conceived (around 1991) it was estimated to cost $7 million dollars. Within two years time, the cost swelled to $14 million dollars. It was during the "dream time" that the facility would be erected on the east side of Coughlin Alumni Stadium. Obviously, the locker component, weight rooms, coaching offices, and rehab area made it a nice fit for that location.

Private money was solicited after the proposed facility was unveiled in 1993. The students voted to tax themselves $1.5 million dollars. The citizens of Brookings voted the penny tax in 1997 which in essence provided $500,000 for the facility. It is my understanding there was a total of approximately $2.3 given by donors. Therefore, approximately $4.3 million dollars was available for the facility. That is a long ways from the $14 million dollar dream. About $10 million short of the dream.

The legislation which passed, and is waiting for the governor's signature, simply gives SDSU authorization to build a wellness facility. There is no money attached to this legislation.

So, the way I see it, somebody needs to get busy. $4.3 million would build a less than adequate facility for the campus. Heck, they have a $5 million dollar facility in Madison, SD.

There is no way the Wellness Center will go up at Coughlin Alumni Stadium. It will probably be attached to the HPER facility, off the administrative side, and extend to the west (toward the library).

The only way it will go to Coughlin is if someone wins the lottery, gives $10 million and demands it be built there. Oh, you would probably get your name on it, too.

Comment

Alumguy's last version is what I understand the story to be. The state is not going to give us money for the wellness center, they just have to give approval to build the thing.

Now, what would be nice is for an unknown multi-millioniare to donate much needed money for the facility. Scholarships are nice, but who doesn't like a cool building to show off. Anyone tried soliciting Bill Gates for a little pocket change?

Comment

Man that is real bold of the legislature, to authorize SDSU to build a wellness center, but not allocate state money to do it. No wonder it was a landslide vote. I still get upset with the stupidity of building a bad dome in a location in the state that is not in close proximity to most of the population centers of the state. Once again we will be on our own to get this project done.

Comment

How about the Daktronics Wellness Center?

Comment

Don't think that will ever happen. Heck, they won't even donate boards unless we give them the advertising rights (at least this is what a I heard).
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Its offical:

http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...66&page=23

Legislature gives wellness center go-ahead
                                BY JOHN KUBAL
                                * Rounds signs bill; state’s share not to exceed $5 million

As the legislative session in Pierre nears its end, the pen hand of Gov. Mike Rounds has been busy: on Thursday, he signed more than 100 bills. And one of those bills is being welcomed by South Dakota State University and the city of Brookings.
                                House Bill 1018 says “the Board of Regents may contract for the construction, completion, furnishing, equipping and maintaining of a student wellness center at South Dakota State University, including utilities, furnishings, architectural and engineering services, site preparation and landscaping.”
                                The act went on to cite a not-to-exceed figure of $5 million, “to be paid from student fees and from gifts and grants to South Dakota State University specifically for this purpose.”
                                Additionally, the city of Brookings has committed $500,000 in second-penny tax revenues to the new center, which would be shared by SDSU and the community. Allyn Frerichs, Brookings interim city manager, said the funds were “penciled in as a CIP [corporate improvement project] for 2007, because nobody knew the date.”
                                Fred Oien, SDSU athletic director and head of the health, education and recreation department, said: “This is the authority that allows us to go forward.” He also said that the new facility would be attached to the present SDSU HPER [Health, Physical Education, and Recreation] Center, which houses the SDSU Wellness Center, which offers paid memberships to the Brookings community at large. University students can use the Wellness Center at no cost. . . .

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                                X