Baseball and softball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Baseball and softball

Top of the 8th and the Jacks score. It is now SDSU 2 Minnesota 1!

Go State!

Comment

Jacks go up 2-1 in the top of the 8th.

Comment

Jacks lose 3-2 in ten innings. Almost did it, oh well.

Comment

Heck of an effort by the boys in blue!  Nice job guys!  To take the two time defending Big 10 Champion to extra innings is special and speaks loudly about our ability to play at the D-I level!  

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Ne...cfm?Id=46,3594

04/14/2004

Gophers Top Jacks 3-2 In Ten

MINNEAPOLIS, MN - The University of Minnesota rallied with a run in the ninth to tie it, then scored in the bottom of the ten and defeated South Dakota State 3-2 in non-conference baseball action at Siebert Field Wednesday.

SDSU had taken a 2-1 lead in the eighth when Tony Lane singled and scored on a double by Ryan Greene.

Minnesota scored an unearned run in the first inning, and SDSU tied it in the fourth when Lane singled, stole second and scored on a double by Greg Geary.
          In Minnesota’s ninth, Jared Sanders led off with a double, and scored on a one-out single by Tony Leseman.
          In the tenth, Luke McLean walked and scored on a double by Matt Fornasiere.

Lane and Jake Frey had two hits each for SDSU while MacLean had two hits for Minnesota. . . .

South Dakota State ... 000 100 010 0 - 2 8 1
          Minnesota ..................100 000 001 1 - 3 9 0
          Francisco Torres, Gary Olechoski (3), Geoff Bray (4), Tigh Surdez (7), Ryan Greene (8) and Kyle Sytsma; Luke Beresford, Cole DeVries (3), John Gaub (6), Andy Peters (8), Jeff Moen (9) and Kevin Carlson, Andy Hunter (7). WP-Moen (2-1), LP-Greene (0-1). HR-None. Attendance: 352.

Comment

Just thought I would post an interesting stat. UNC is 4-4 against D-II teams in baseball this year and 18-10 against D-I. Granted, a lot of the wins were against Air Force, but nonetheless they are D-I.

It really makes me curious about the talent difference between D-I and D-II when it comes to baseball.

It is strange to say but UNC is the top Division I baseball team in Colorado but is probably only the third best college team in Colorado.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
              Heck of an effort by the boys in blue!  Nice job guys!  To take the two time defending Big 10 Champion to extra innings is special and speaks loudly about our ability to play at the D-I level!  
              Agreed, really tough year for the Jacks with Coach E. being ill and the team really struggling. Excellent performance against a DI team. Nice split with UNO but 2 tough losses against Augie. If they can sweep USD in Brookings at the end of the year I will be more than satisfied. Go Jacks!!
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Jacks sign a catcher today:

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Ne...cfm?Id=46,3613

04/20/2004
                Jacks Sign Catcher
                South Dakota State has signed a switch-hitting catcher to a letter of intent indicating he will enroll at SDSU and participate in the Jackrabbit baseball program.

Gavin Hofer, a two-time all-conference performer at Stewartville, MN, High School, has hit .373 in high school and .372 in American Legion competition over the past three seasons. His combined career totals include 185 hits in 199 games with 119 runs batted in. . . .

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                  Jacks sign a catcher today:

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Ne...cfm?Id=46,3613

04/20/2004
                  Jacks Sign Catcher
                  South Dakota State has signed a switch-hitting catcher to a letter of intent indicating he will enroll at SDSU and participate in the Jackrabbit baseball program.

Gavin Hofer, a two-time all-conference performer at Stewartville, MN, High School, has hit .373 in high school and .372 in American Legion competition over the past three seasons. His combined career totals include 185 hits in 199 games with 119 runs batted in. . . .

Go State!
                  I heard about this a few days ago in the local paper. Another Stewartville kid headed west. I say keep the pipeline open.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Gavin is an excellent athlete, quarterback of the football team and an excellent kicker........has great range

Go Jacks......
                    http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Out of curiosity, how many scholarships are allocated to the baseball and softball teams at State?

Comment

Not sure how many are, but here is how many we could at both the D-II and D-I level.

http://www.campuschamps.com/scholarships.shtml

Go State!

Comment

Baseball score from Wednesday

Minnesota 17 North Dakota St. 2

Comment

Jacks end season with a win and send the Coyote Baseball team into oblivion with a loss.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Ne...cfm?Id=46,3654

05/01/2004

Jacks, Coyotes Split Again

Pinch hitter Kasey Keller lifted a sacrifice fly to right field to drive in the go-ahead run as South Dakota State defeated the University of South Dakota 11-9 in the second game of their North Central Conference doubleheader at Bob Shelden Field Saturday. . . .

It was a rough season (with Coach Eakland missing the season due to his illness, and the fire that destroyed the house that many of the teams players lived at) but with an extra inning game against the Gophers at Minnesota and a win in the last EVER meeting of SDSU and USD on the baseball field it was an ok year.  Looking forward to D-I in yet another sport.

Go State!   ;D

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayarticle3.shtml

End of an era for SDSU, USD
                              Matt Zimmer
                              For the Argus Leader

published: 5/2/2004

Baseball teams split final games in NCC competition

BROOKINGS - Fans always choose their seats carefully when attending a University of South Dakota-South Dakota State sporting event, trying to avoid groups of rowdy students.

They were at Bob Shelden Field on Saturday for a baseball doubleheader between the Coyotes and Jackrabbits - five of them, sitting behind home plate and more than making their presence felt.

The other fans didn't seem to care too much. And in the end, as the Jacks and Coyotes split the twinbill, a little name-calling didn't seem to matter.

Maybe it's because they realized it would be the last time they would experience such an event between the two bitter rivals.

USD is folding its baseball program after this season, ending the rivalry there. SDSU will shift its athletic programs to Division I next year. . . .

Good to go out on Top!

Go State! ;D

Comment

This article was kind of pointless, and its interesting that they got Jake Wenig to say what the Argus wanted to hear.  Not competing against USD is no big loss.  We have bigger fish to fry and better things ahead of us.

Comment

Working...
                                X