So, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So, now what?

I think Alumguy is very serious. I think an analogy is called for. Alumguys/SDSU's approach is much like a mutual fund/401 K it is a long term approach that evens out the highs and the lows and I think it is appropriate.

Mike, what you are advocating is a much more aggresive approach. This approach would be simalar to buying and selling individual stocks and trying to "time" the highs and lows of the market. This is a much riskier approach and one I would personally not be in favor of.

It is funny, Mike you don't strike me as a stocks kind of guy. I would have taken you for a mutual fund sort. Nothing wrong with that, I myself am a mutual fund kind of guy . . . interesting. :-/

Go State! ;D

Comment

Thanks. I like stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H

I won't talk about the general public, because 89 will require names and addresses, but I can talk about the media aspect of your thoughts. The percieved bias one way or the other is ridiculous. Complaints about the media and the fact that (SDSU/USD/Augie/bowling/girls softball/peewee soccer/fill in your sport, school, or insitution here) does not get enough coverage have been going on for years. It is only since the Rush Limbaughs of the world started talking about media bias that people have made a connection between lack of sports coverage and some "pettiness", to quote another thread, by a media outlet.

What has happened in media lately? Have the staffs gotten bigger? No. Are the media outlets owned by local folks that graduated from a local institution? No. Are they owned by coporate, sometimes publicly held, companies that also own an airline and two fast food franchises? Mostly. Do they care about coverage of local things, or do they care about money on their bottom line? So what you have are smaller staffs with smaller budgets trying to please more people.

Think of it. You have 4 minutes to do the sports on TV in Sioux Falls each night. You have, depending on the season, The Storm, Canairies, Stampede, Spitfire, Skyforce, Augie, USF, USD, SDSU, Northern, 5 high schools in town with all of their sports, several other towns in the area, the Twins, Vikings, Timberwolves, and Wild. don't forget that every now and then you better do a story about kick boxing to get those people off your ass, and throw in some Dakota Wesleyan or Dakota State stuff. When do you have time to be biased?

I know in our weekly media member meetings seeking to get liberal candidates elected and quash the right wing agenda, sports coverage in general, and SDSU in particular, never comes up.

You can believe what you want but please explain the following to me. Here's an example - basketball article recapping game of SDSU vs opponent. Discusses game - at end of article there is another paragraph that discusses the added travel cost SDSU will have next season when there are D1. Did this added paragraph include details that SDSU will be paid to travel to many of these away games? NO. The last section had no business being added to the basketball recap. Why was it added? How many positive articles have been written (other than Solari) about SDSU and/or its move to D1? How many negative articles?

Comment

So, this is about the Argus? The same Argus that people on this board were praising a few months ago because Randall Beck said they were going to step up their coverage of State? The same Argus that got trashed here last week because of their editorial about the suspended football player? The same Argus that is sending a writer to cover games in California? The same Argus that makes a point of reprinting the game article in the Monday edition of the paper for those that did not recieve the article in their edition? The same Argus that is getting ripped because of a change of headlines?

Yep. It's a conspiracy.

Comment

So, this is about the Argus? The same Argus that people on this board were praising a few months ago because Randall Beck said they were going to step up their coverage of State?
            Has this happened?

I'm curious as I don't read the Argus daily.

Comment

Ya, I think so.

Go State! ;D

Comment

So, this is about the Argus? The same Argus that people on this board were praising a few months ago because Randall Beck said they were going to step up their coverage of State? The same Argus that got trashed here last week because of their editorial about the suspended football player? The same Argus that is sending a writer to cover games in California? The same Argus that makes a point of reprinting the game article in the Monday edition of the paper for those that did not recieve the article in their edition? The same Argus that is getting ripped because of a change of headlines?

Yep. It's a conspiracy.

You can include whatever paper or media outlet you like. Instead of raving of the right wing and conspiracy theories - just answer the question.

Comment

I think the Argus has increased its coverage of SDSU, and other Fu' Whitney, I think they have been pretty fair. Mr. Whitney is hard to read because he tries to be much to clever for what he can get down in words; or at least to clever for me.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

jack 100: You are asking me to critique an article I have not read, or don't remember reading. Were his facts right? Was it a slugged story or a feature? Was it written by one of the high school kids or college interns that they have working there now because of staff cutbacks, or one of the big boys?

It sounds to me like you already have your mind made up.

Comment

I find it very intersting that during the Jackrabbit Report that Stig mentioned that he didn't think his team pulled off an upset like some headlines read.

HMM wonder what he was reffering to??

Good Report this week though, liked the ticket info.

Comment

I didn't get to hear anything after Stig, but he did sound a little ticked off about that.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I responded to the same thing fellas over on the football section. I liked stig's interview. he showed a little fire.
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Working...
                          X