All-Time SDSU Baseball Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All-Time SDSU Baseball Team

In honor of the upcoming World Series my panel of eight associates connected to SDSU have compiled our unoffical all-time baseball team. I would acknowledge those who have played pre 1978 would be under represented and those who have played more recently not enought time has passed for their accomplishments to become "legend" one could easily put together another team that could compete with this one.

The guidelines used were 12 pitchers, three had to be lefthanded. Represent each position but have at least two catchers and keep the number around 24-28 people. This was difficult and I am sure we missed some obvious choices.

So here we go

Pitchers
    Greg Kallevig AAA Cubs
    Rich Morehouse AA Angels
    Wade Adamson AAA Twins
    Ed Maras Drafted Baltimore
    Chuck Rissie Drafted Baltimore
    Mark Hofer
    BobEhrke Drafted Baltimore
    Bill McMacken (L)
    Trevor Schulte (L)
    Joey Monson (L)
    Pete Torgeson
    Matt Magers (L) Drafted Cubs

Catchers (2) Randy Stone 3time all-conf
    Dean Krogman
    1B Jim Langer All-American
    2B Dave Menke & Pat Schmidt
    SS Cole Irish
    3B Larry Heffley
    OF Doug Wilner Frank Cutler Dan Dummermouth- Drafted Mets
    DH Tim Johnson

Utility: Ryan Krogman (Conf. MVP) Rick Weber, Doug Sehr, Darryl Deneke, Chris Studer

Author's Favorites: Bruce Mogen, Bob Reeves (may be all time win leader) Joe Hardin, Galen Carver, Brian Peterson, Jay Olson, Dave Mydland, Dave & Chuck Sendelback, Todd Jorgenson.

Player with best name: Tom Collins
    All Time Graduate Assistant: Kevin Higgins (Currently hitting coach for Staten Island Yankees/ Short A club for NY Yankees

Re: All-Time SDSU Baseball Team

Joe Jackrabbit:

I think you have very good list. There are names that I dont recognize, but I have missed a bunch of games since 1965, so there have been many good ball players who came and went from SDSU.

It looks like we are still looking for our first SDSU MLB player. I had hopes that Greg Kvallvig and Ron Morehouse would make it, but its a feat to get there and stay there.

Bob Ehrke played a long time ago but he was very good and rest assured he would be very flattered to see his name amongst the best.

I know Doug Peterson and Wayne Rassumussen both played baseball besides football and basketball, but I dont know what their numbers were and were there stats comparable with those on the list. Maybe not. Both were on the 1963 BB NC team and Ras played with the Lions in the NFL for a long time.

Good Job Joe Jackrabbit.

Comment

You have to add Jack Zimmer. Batted clean up his entire time at State, and was just inducted into the SD Amatuer Hall of Fame. Also, no love for Tracy Langer? He left SDSU as their all time home run leader. Great thread.

Comment

Good point Mike. I think Zimmer played about the same time as Erhke. According to my SDSU Alumni directory he graduated in 1954 and has his own Consulting firm in the Twin Cities. Zimmer played for the Brookings Cubs during the summer, I believe.

The Langer boys, Jim sons were big at SDSU and yes they should be included too.  Its hard to make a good pick for a team of this nature. Without fail some one is left out.

I am curious does the SD Amatuer Hall of Fame have a website?

Comment

SDSUFAN : Not that I know of.

Comment

Working...
          X