A Legend Leaves Us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Legend Leaves Us

Warren Williamson, considered the "Father of Wrestling in South Dakota," died on Tuesday, November 9. He left a great legacy.

Warren was hired by Athletic Director Jack Frost in 1956 to coach wrestling, head freshman football coach, and serve as director of the intramural program. Warren turned SDSU into a national wrestling power. He created a world class intramural program. Warren retired in 1987. The intramural field is named in his honor.

Warren was an All NCC running back when the Jacks were undefeated in 1950. He gained 1,100 yards that season, the second most among small colleges.

Warren Williamson loved South Dakota State University. He was a great human being.

Re: A Legend Leaves Us

This is a great loss for SDSU.

Here is a link to a November 4th story from the Argus.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...p_product=SALB

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Warren a few years after retirement wrote a book about playing and coaching athletics. He played football about the time Stan Marshall and included an antedote about Stan liking to clown around on the bus and be a radio announcer which was kind of funny. Warren came to SDSU from Hurley SD and caught a ride to Brookings to find out an athletic scholarship. The whole process was much simplier in the early 1940's. He arrived just before a BB game and talked to Thurlo McCardy, SDSU basketball coach, who had just accepted the AD position at Kansas State. McCardy talked him into going to K-state and Warren tells what the post war football program at K-State was like and how he soon transferred back to SDSU.

I would recommend the book to any one who is looking for SDSU sports history. With the loss of Warren that history went with him except for what was published in his book.

Warren is also responisble for the Hall of Champion pictures that are displayed in Frost Arena.

Besides being the father of wrestling, Warren accompolished a number of things. We will miss him.

Comment

I love the "Wall of Fame" at Frost Arena, I find myself looking at it every time I'm there. I didnt know Mr. Williamson was behind it. He was truly a legend at SDSU

Comment

Working...
        X