Baseball signings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball signings

The baseball team signs 4 during the early signing period.

http://www.gojacks.com

Jackrabbit baseball announces recruiting class
    Four standout baseball players, including two junior college transfers, make up the inaugural recruiting class for first-year South Dakota State University baseball coach Reggie Christiansen.

Signing recently were:
    • Rob Apo, right-handed pitcher, Eureka, Calif., transfer from Feather River Community College, in Quincy, Calif.;
    • Steve Morgan, catcher, Eureka, Calif., transfer from College of the Redwoods, in Eureka, Calif.;
    • Jared Piper, outfielder, North Platte, Neb. (North Platte High School), and
    • Chris Reynolds, left-handed pitcher, Sheridan, Wyo. (Sheridan High School).

"We are excited about the kids that we have signed early and feel they will help us right away," said Christiansen, who credited assistant coaches Matt Duncan and Chris Smart with excellent work in a short time to recruit. "We will continue to recruit this spring and will probably bring in an additional six to eight players during the April signing period."

The Jackrabbits have completed putting together a 53-game regular season schedule for the 2005 season that includes 46 games against Division I opposition. SDSU is scheduled to open the season with four games Feb. 16-20 at Kansas, and close with the USB postseason tournament May 20-22 in Greeley, Colo.

Go Jacks!  ;D

Re: Baseball signings

This is very good news. I wonder who else was recruiting the North Platte, Ne kid and also the one from Sheriden Wyo. I think Baseball is going to be a fun sport to watch. We have a real good coach now and that is not to take anything away from Mark Ekland. Mark may have gotten other good recruits. I think a lot of this recruiting sucess has to do with the notion that we are moving up to D1.

Comment

Re: Baseball signings

From the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Th...article4.shtml

Baseball inks recruits

Baseball Coach Reggie Christiansen announced his first recruiting class late Tuesday. The coach, who was hired to replace longtime skipper Mark Ekeland this summer, added five players:

• Rob Apo, right-handed pitcher, Eureka, Calif., transfer from Feather River Community College, in Quincy, Calif.

• Tony Martin, catcher from Omaha Burke High

• Steve Morgan, catcher, Eureka, Calif., transfer from College of the Redwoods, in Eureka, Calif.

• Jared Piper, outfielder from North Platte (Neb.) High

• Chris Reynolds, left-handed pitcher from Sheridan (Wyo.) High.

Christiansen began his job in August and was only able to see South Dakota players at the state American Legion tourney in Pierre.

To give himself a better evaluation of in-state talent, he will hold camps to showcase and develop talents. The first is for pitchers and catchers on Saturday.

"I think the camps definitely will help," Christiansen said. "It's a chance for kids in South Dakota to do something baseball-wise in December, January and February, and obviously, we haven't had a chance to see these kids play."

SDSU will play just seven games in Brookings during its 53-game spring schedule, plus games at Sioux Falls Stadium against Minnesota and Creighton. Christiansen said games with teams like the Gophers and Kansas - which the Jacks open this season against - will continue, but he adds that more home games are on the way. He said 27 home contests already have been scheduled for the 2007 campaign.

For information on camps, call Christiansen at 688-5027. . . .

Go State! ;D

Comment

Working...
      X