Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UND and the Big Sky

Originally posted by SDhoopfan
    Rumor has it the Big Sky is interested in pairing NDSU and UND as travel partners.  More after the 13th.

How can a DII team be a traveling partner with a DI team in a DI conference? Have I missed something in reading the previous posts, newspaper articles, and letters on this topic?
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
      I took the time to read the forum story about a letter the that UND's President sent in response to a letter he received about moving to D-I.  Looks to me like UND is staying put for the near future.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=77050

Letter by Kupchella to UND football lettermen on Division I issue
      The Forum
      Published Saturday, December 04, 2004

The following is a copy of a letter sent recently by University of North Dakota President Charles Kupchella to UND football lettermen. The letter is in response to the group's growing push to explore moving UND to Division I in sports. The group is led by Dan Martinson and Corey Colehauer.  .  .

Conference Affiliation

This brings us to opportunity and specifically the Big Sky Conference. And what about the 13th of December?

We have as you might expect, been keeping tabs on the Big Sky situation. The signals have been mixed and there has recently apparently been a 180 degree turn, maybe. At first, the BS said they had no interest in expanding and if they did it would be to the west. More recently, the BS has solicited, in more of a shotgun fashion, expressions of interest which you referenced. A decision as to expand, or not, and perhaps by how much and when, is apparently going to be made at a meeting next month.

According to that article on the move by NDSU and SDSU in the Star Tribune today, "Affiliating with an all sports conference is crucial to the moves being a success." Possibilities for us in the BS conference in the future is an important question for us as well because if not the BS, where?

Let's assume the BS does expand to twelve teams. What then? We understand that they already have four applicants which are already D I. If we were to decide today to go to D I, we would still have to honor our contracts for the remainder of this year and all of next. My recollection is that we would have to notify the NCC by September of the year which would be our last. We would have to notice the NCAA by December 1 of that year. This means that at the earliest, would not be able to make the move until the fall of '06. Roger can check me on this.

Given all of the above, and depending on - at least tentative - answers to the fundamental questions posed here, perhaps all we would be able to do by Dec 13 is to indicate to the BS our interest in possibly making a move to D I, indicating the earliest date we would be able to make the move.  .  .  .

Go State!  ;D

Nope, you haven't missed a thing.

Go State! ;D

Comment

The NCC as we all know it is gone and major changes are on the horizon.  Meetings are scheduled for December with members of NCC and NSIC.  December 13 will be a very interesting day and not just for SDSU.  Rumor has it the Big Sky is interested in pairing NDSU and UND as travel partners.  More after the 13th.
        That would be the stupidest thing they could do. Let's see- NDSU/UND= media exposure in ND, northwestern MN, and maybe the Twin Cities

NDSU/SDSU=media exposure in ND, SD, western MN, Twin Cities, and possibly northwest IA and northern NE.

Probably about twice the audience for the NDSU/SDSU pair.

Comment

sdhoopfan, keep in mind that Dec. 13th is the day that
          the BSC will announce if it plans to expand or not
          expand. As I understand it, that is all that will come out
          of that meeting.

Comment

The NCC as we all know it is gone and major changes are on the horizon.  Meetings are scheduled for December with members of NCC and NSIC.  December 13 will be a very interesting day and not just for SDSU.  Rumor has it the Big Sky is interested in pairing NDSU and UND as travel partners.  More after the 13th.
            Only a jealous USD supporter would buy into this rumor as it appears to slow SDSU down. Go figure, I dont think the BSC has any intentions of doing this. When UND does not know what their move is why would the BSC be all set to promote travel partners between NDSU and UND.  This makes no sense at all

Comment

I think the NCC will certainally survive, but it will be weaker. What may be interesting is how this affects other conferences. For example, the NCC could pick off a couple geographically appropriate NSIC teams. This would then make Upper Iowa a more attractive NCC candidate.

Comment

Not relevant to SDSU and DI, but I wonder if the MN schools wouldn't like a conference all their own.  Similar to the way its done in Wisconsin.  MSU-Mankato, MSU-Moorhead, Duluth, Concordia, Crookston, SCSU, Winona, Bemidji, and Southwest.  Known as the Minnesota State Intercollegiate Conference (MSIC)

That would leave USD, Augie, Upper Iowa, U of Mary, DSU, Northern, Black Hills St, Wayne St. and UNO for the new GPAC (UND will be DI, accept it).  If UNO goes south, which they likely will, Mayville St. could be invited to the GPAC.  

No way they should be allowed to use NCC as it should be retired to preserve at least a portion of its reputation.  A reputation SDSU and NDSU fought hard to establish.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Radical realignment affecting ND, SD, MN and IA (and possibly beyond) is possible. I would bet that the NCC will still exist with at least some current members. Even if there is realignment, I would doubt they would dump the NCC name.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodentia
                    Radical realignment affecting ND, SD, MN and IA (and possibly beyond) is possible.  I would bet that the NCC will still exist with at least some current members.  Even if there is realignment, I would doubt they would dump the NCC name.
                    I know, just having a little fun with possibilities. Time will tell and I am sure that well established universities like USD will find their place. It just won't be like it was during the glory days of the NCC past.

Comment

http://in-forum.com/articles/index.c...section=Sports

The University of North Dakota has told the Big Sky Conference it would be interested in joining the league if the school reclassifies to NCAA Division I athletics........

Comment

Originally posted by jack100
                        http://in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=77371&section=Sports

The University of North Dakota has told the Big Sky Conference it would be interested in joining the league if the school reclassifies to NCAA Division I athletics........
                        Of course they're interested, the problem, they're not reclassifying this year.  They have missed their opportunity this go-round.  Not to say it won't arise again.

Less than one week from the BSC announcement.  Again, I suspect they will confirm their plans to expand and announce those who returned apps.  SDSU, NDSU, UNC, SUU, and ?.

Comment

I think UND would be burning a bridge if they had told the BSC that they were not interested in joining.  There are so many predications ahead for UND in the near future.  First the scholarship vote in Jan which if it fails, the 36 scholarship level stands for the time being. Then they have to have several studies to make the go head or at least they should in order to have a good reclassification plan for moving to D1.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                            I think UND would be burning a bridge if they had told the BSC that they were not interested in joining.  There are so many predications ahead for UND in the near future.  First the scholarship vote in Jan which if it fails, the 36 scholarship level stands for the time being. Then they have to have several studies to make the go head or at least they should in order to have a good reclassification plan for moving to D1.
                            Didn't UNC for the most part put the cart before the horse and make their official move without doing in depth studies like SDSU and NDSU? I would assume UND would prefer to follow the lead of the two SU's and actually have some research behind their decision, but UNC has proven a school can jump without really looking.

Comment

Originally posted by ActionJack

Didn't UNC for the most part put the cart before the horse and make their official move without doing in depth studies like SDSU and NDSU?  I would assume UND would prefer to follow the lead of the two SU's and actually have some research behind their decision, but UNC has proven a school can jump without really looking.
                              Don't know if UNC has proven anything. I haven't closely reviewed their budget, enrollment or research numbers but their athletic teams actually seem to be losing ground.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

Don't know if UNC has proven anything.  I haven't closely reviewed their budget, enrollment or research numbers but their athletic teams actually seem to be losing ground.
                                I wasn't trying to say they have proven anything on the field, merely they have shown that the move can be made without a great deal of percieved thought.

Comment

Working...
                                X