missouri valley conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missouri valley conference

Most SDSU and NDSU fans would agree that the Missouri Valley and Gateway for football is the most attractive option for the Dakota schools. Is it even realistic to think about the Missouri Valley when the Big Sky said no? Currently, the Missouri Valley has 10 stable quality members. Why would the Missouri Valley want the SU's as members? Would the Missouri Valley benefit from going from 10 to 12 schools? I do not think that the Missouri Valley would consider expansion unless they lost some schools.

The Mid-Continent doesn't excite me at all but it might be our only option - and that is if we are invited. Maybe a couple years down the road - Sac State and PSU drop out of the Big Sky and we get another shot.

Re: missouri valley conference

I'd take the Mid-Con in a heartbeat, but I think SDSU will ultimately end up in the Valley. It may take ten years or more, but that's the conference we belong in.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The Missouri Valley would obviously be very attractive to SDSU and NDSU. In my opinion, unless there would be movement in one or more of the major conferences, there is little chance the MVC looks to expand. Also, does anyone out there know if UNO (Nebraska Omaha) might be restricted by state law to move to Div. 1?

Comment

The MoValley would be a great conference destination, to say the least. I doubt any serious talks would happen until the probationary period is over, and would also probably require a couple of current members leaving. Would be great to get the SU's back playing UNI on a regular schedule.

On another conference note: FOX news in Fargo reported that the Mid-Cont. might be looking at expansion, after they clear up some "internal issues". March would be the soonest they could look at expansion.

Comment

Originally posted by SDhoopfan
          The Missouri Valley would obviously be very attractive to SDSU and NDSU. In my opinion, unless there would be movement in one or more of the major conferences, there is little chance the MVC looks to expand.  Also, does anyone out there know if UNO  (Nebraska Omaha) might be restricted by state law to move to Div. 1?  
          Not by state law, per say, more likely by the UNL alumni in the state legislature. I think they need approval from the state legislature, and that's where they might run into Big Red. Same as the MN schools and Goldie.

Comment

I live in Nebraska and know that UNO does not need "permission" to go D1. They are already D1 in Hockey and did not to get permission from the legislature to do this. The perception (real or imagined) out there is that UNL would not want them to go D1, but I have read quotes in the Omaha paper from Pat Berhns, UNO Head Football coach, that he would like to go D1-AA. They are a big school (16,000 students) but mostly a commuter school, although they have built more dorms recently.

The Missouri Valley / Gateway combo would be best for the Dakota schools, but I would say it will never in the very near future because the big Baskeball schools would be afraid of what it would do to their RPI's. If the Mo Valley wants to get a team other than the tournament champion into the big dance they have to have a strong RPI. I know Creighton and Southern Ill or always talking about this. Adding SDSU and NDSU, especially before they are even tournament eligible, will likely not help anyone's RPI.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonguy

Not by state law, per say, more likely by the UNL alumni in the state legislature. I think they need approval from the state legislature, and that's where they might run into Big Red. Same as the MN schools and Goldie.
              I have lived in Nebraska for nearly 20 years now and maybe after this length of time, I still dont have a good working knowledge of how everything at the state level works in the state of Nebraska. I probably spent too many hours traveling to follow the Jacks. ;D

I dont think there is any written legislation that would prohibit UNO from moving to D1. I could be wrong, but I am unware of any statute. I dont think they would have to go to the legislature.

From what I do know and understand is that the State Board of Regents are elected on election day and are not appointed by the Govenor as they are in South Dakota.

Running for the Board of Regents is no different than running for a school district board, its just that its tougher and requires political campaigning and money.

What UNO would have to do to go D1 would be to convince these politcally elected officals that it was in the state's best interest. Therein lies the major hurdle and maybe one which the current UNO president does not feel she has the votes to even consider such a request.

If Steve Heiden had caught that one last pass in 1996, and SDSU had won in Omaha,won the NCC, made the D2 playoffs. there is a very good possibly that there would be no athletic programs at UNO TODAY. There was a movement amongst the regents to cut athletics at UNO at that time(1996), but with the win in 1996, UNO went to the playoffs, and Pat Behrns program was saved as where other programs at UNO. Others got involved and we still have Big Jake to deal with. ;D

I dont think UNO has built up enough good will amongst the Regents, but I could be wrong there too. Could they convince the community of Omaha? People in Omaha more so than Fargo, love a winner. Even with there recent good BB teams, 1800 is a good crowd at Sapp Field House.

Comment

Here is a link to a MizzValley/Gateway message board:
                http://valleytalk.net/forum/index.php?act=idx

The Gateway people seem pretty postive about expanding into the Dakota's but the Mizz Valley people basically said to wait 10 years and establish your mens basketball programs in some other conference first.

Comment

sdsu fan, I have lived in ne for 15 years and followed the mavs closely from day one. That is a great post you have here - I learned several things I didn't know about Nebraska. To the best of my knowledge I think you are right on target.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison
                    Here is a link to a MizzValley/Gateway message board:
                    http://valleytalk.net/forum/index.php?act=idx

The Gateway people seem pretty postive about expanding into the Dakota's but the Mizz Valley people basically said to wait 10 years and establish your mens basketball programs in some other conference first.

There's some mighty hateful rhetoric going on over there.

Comment

Nice article on the Valley in yesterday's KC Star (registration may be required):

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...s/10417500.htm

Posted on Wed, Dec. 15, 2004
                      Mid-major league making some big-time noise
                      By BLAIR KERKHOFF
                      The Kansas City Star

This success story is following a familiar script: The game reaches the critical point and this time the play works, the shot falls, the defense gets a stop and the game is won. Confidence swells, gets carried into the next game, and now the team knows how to win.

Only this isn't about one team. It's an entire conference.

The ball is bouncing for the Missouri Valley Conference these days. With only a handful of non-conference games remaining, the league is all but assured of its best start since 1917, just before our boys went off to the Great War and the Missouri Valley included the likes of Kansas, Missouri and Kansas State.

The Missouri Valley's 51-15 mark against outside competition would be a robust record by any conference standards. The Big 12 is 60-16.

But here's the difference. Big 12 teams are 50-6 on their home floors, 10-10 at away or neutral sites. The big boys with clout get to schedule favorably. The Missouri Valley is 16-12 outside of its friendly confines.

. . .
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Wow do these guys not like us.

http://valleytalk.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=9926

"I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                          Nice part is, they don't matter. The MVC is a distant goal. Anyone not aware of that is naive. Why would they be interested in unproven DI programs? That doesn't mean they won't be down the road.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                          X