DI Conference Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DI Conference Hunt

Son lived in Berg and Bailey...just a mix there and they have a reputation of being calm, decent places to live.

I suspect Hanson continues to maintain its reputation.

Comment

Yes, It still does....

Comment

The University of Louisiana at Monroe accepted an invitation for full membership in the Sun Belt Conference.
        This will open up a spot in the Southland.  Rumor has it that the Southland will probably add two members and since several current non-football playing members (Texas San Antonio, Texas Arlington, and Lamar) are talking about bringing back football, the Southland can look for non-football playing schools.

The names that I see most often are; Texas A&M Corpus Christi, UT-Pan American, and Centennary.  The first two are Independents (like us, one of their options is the Mid-Con) and the last is a current Mid-Con member.  This has the potential to help shake things up and could speed up the process.  Potentially good news for SDSU and NDSU (although all along I have thought we had a better chance at the Mid-Con then either of the Texas schools).  

Here is the Story on ULM:

http://www.theadvertiser.com/sports/...0FAB72E8.shtml

ULM accepts invitation  
        Gannett News Sevice  

July 17, 2004

The University of Louisiana at Monroe accepted an invitation for full membership in the Sun Belt Conference on Friday.  .  .

ULM, a founding football member of the Division I-A Sun Belt, also sponsors women’s swimming and diving in the SBC. But the university had remained a member of the Division I-AA Southland Conference in all other sports.  

The decision to switch to a single affiliation was keyed by a report presented in June to the University of Louisiana System by Carr Sports Associates, which said that the Indians should join in all sports.

the Sun Belt in all sports.

“Bill Carr came in and gave an objective report,” Cofer said. “The decision was clear: He said you’ve got to raise a million dollars — whether ULM chooses membership in the Southland or the Sun Belt. Take the upside of a I-A conference,” he said.  .  .  .

The Indians will join as a full member in 2006. That two-year waiting period was needed so that ULM could avoid a buy-out fee of $250,000 to leave the Southland. Cofer said the time would also be used to evaluate and improve the programs, and to raise money.

“Some sports, we think they will come in and compete in right away,” Waters said. “There’s no reason, for instance, that the Indians’ baseball team won’t compete the day they walk in the door. Women’s basketball is another. There are other sports that might take more time, but that’s true of any school.”

Cofer added that ULM’s various athletics programs would likely continue playing former Southland rivals in non-conference games.

The Sun Belt sent a team of evaluators to the university last week — and its presidents voted to offer full membership on Monday.

Another domino falls, it is an exciting time to be a Jackrabbit!  8)

Go State!  ;D

Comment

I've always wondered why UT-PA and T A&M CC weren't already in the Southland. Is it because the Southland wants members to sponsor football?

Comment

Originally posted by NDSU_grad
            I've always wondered why UT-PA and T A&M CC weren't already in the Southland.  Is it because the Southland wants members to sponsor football?
            Yes that has been the hang up for them.

http://www.southland.org/

As you can see now that ULM is leaving it will leave the Southland with 10 members, 6 of which play football. The rumor is that they want to go to 12 and do a divisional format LA/East TX and West TX. Because Texas San Antonio, Texas Arlington, and Lamar are all talking about adding football, and Southeastern
            Louisiana is playing football again (taking the Southland to 10 football members) they would be willing to add two non-football members. Opening the door for Texas A&M Corpus Christi, and UT-Pan American. Just rumors mind you but from several different sources.

Comment

In 2005, Southeastern Louisiana will be the seventh football playing school. Last year, the school brought back football and including this year, will play as an indy.

I have heard rumors that Texas-Arlington may bring back football as well to get the Southland to eight football playing schools.

Comment

News from the Big Sky, Doug Fullerton had some interesting things to say that the Big Sky Football media day:

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2...8AAxkuDvG3VBRe

Griz assume traditional perch
                By JON KASPER of the Missoulian

Big Sky commissioner Doug Fullerton said he doesn't think the league "has ever been healthier," in his address to the media, coaches and players on Monday morning

Fullerton said the league presidents will meet Aug. 9 and expansion will once again be explored.

"It will be intense on the expansion issue," he said. "We've done a lot of internal investigating. We'll look at all schools west of Minneapolis."

North Dakota State, South Dakota State and Northern Colorado have all made the jump from Division II to I-AA and joined the newly formed Great West football Conference, along with Southern Utah, Cal Poly and UC Davis.

Fullerton said a 12-team Big Sky would be too large and there would be no advantage to holding a conference championship game prior to the playoffs.

Go State! 8)

Comment

Does anyone know where we stand with the mid continent. I thought they were supposed to vote for expansion - do we still have a chance with them this year or is it more a long term thing we are looking at. I was kind of hoping that we would only be an indep. for one season but maybe I was a little too optimistic. Go Jacks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sdman
                    Does anyone know where we stand with the mid continent.  I thought they were supposed to vote for expansion - do we still have a chance with them this year or is it more a long term thing we are looking at.  I was kind of hoping that we would only be an indep. for one season but maybe I was a little too optimistic.  Go Jacks!!!
                    sdman,

The Mid-Con Presidents have met, but nothing has been decided,  so we are still in the running.  Things seem to be heating up for both the Mid-Con and Big Sky.  We may end up receiving invites from both the Mid-Con and Big Sky.  Here is what the Mid-Con released after their meetings in Chicago:

http://www.mid-con.com/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=2276

2004 Mid-Con Presidents Council Meetings conclude in Chicago

The Mid-Continent Conference Presidents Council held its annual spring meeting on Thursday in Chicago, Ill. Along with accepting a revised league constitution and bylaws, the Presidents Council discussed membership issues, approved a change in format for the league’s basketball tournaments, and elected new officers for the 2004-05 school year.  .  .  .

“The revised tournament format for basketball will reward strong regular-season play by potentially giving a full day’s rest during the tournament for the top two seeds,” Mid-Con Commissioner Ron Bertovich said. “ Additionally, membership issues were discussed and will remain a ‘front burner’ topic for the group.”

My guess would be that we will get an invite sometime during this school year.  We would then offically join the Conf. during the '06 -'07 school year (time to get into the scheduling rotation).  So we will probably be an Indy this year and next.  Just a guess.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

I agree, 06-07 would be the best case scenario. Based on whats happening right now, I think SDSU and NDSU will be in a good position for an invite from either the Mid-Con or Big Sky. The attractiveness of travel partners gives us an advantage over UNC for the BSC and geography is to our benefit (over UNC I mean) for the Mid-Con. SDSU as an institution and Brookings as a community fit better in the Big Sky. I don't have a preference at this juncture. Lets just find a home.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Here is a Fargo Forum AP article on the Big Sky expansion.  It lists the four possible expansion schools in a quote by Commish. Fullerton.  

Lets hope a conference happens soon, either in the Big Sky or Mid Con.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...section=Sports

Just to keep in mind, Northern Colorado is not a great a fit in the Big Sky as you would think.  The closest current Big Sky school is Weber State (Ogden, UT) and that is 500 miles away.  Of course, both NDSU and SDSU are further away but have the advantage of being travel partners (being only 190 miles apart) helps the Dakota teams IMO.

Comment

This news is encouraging, but not much more than that. These conference expansion and selecting new members is very involved. I am somewhat surprised in amount of time taking to even be considered for membership. You would have thought it would have happen by now. The big picture of shifting and manuevering in the NCAA D1 classification has perhaps made the process longer than normal.

I think every positive thing that happens at NDSU and SDSU this coming year will help move the process along. Patience, patience and patience seems to be the key.

Its encouraging that commissioner Fullerton is evaluating all possiblities.  I think it was about six years ago almost to the date, that Commissioner Fullerton came to Fargo to meet with NDSU and other NCC members about going to D1AA. I keep thinking that this whole process started about 1998.

Can any of the archivists verfify my above comment about the meeting in 1998?

Comment

I think that would be great if we get into the Big Sky. Is southern utah and unc the only other schools trying to get in. We make more sense than unc bc we are a land grant school that offers more prestige for the conference and we have a lot more community support than they do. But we are a lot farther away. Don't know much about southrn utah other than they are right in their backyard. I think it would be a great coup to get in that league. I guess if geography is not a top consideration we probably have a fighting chance but if it is than they are probably just stringing us along. We shall see. Go Jacks!!!

Comment

I don't think that the Big Sky is stringing us along. I think we are legitimately one of their top canidates. Here is part of the Fargo Forums story that Bison_Kent talked about.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=65054

Fullerton said the league's eight university presidents will meet Aug. 9. Among the top priorities will be the issue of league expansion.

"We are conducting an internal evaluation of every school that is available ... And yes, that does include the Dakotas, yes that does include Northern Colorado, yes that does include Southern Utah – all the schools that are going to play I-AA," Fullerton said.

Go State! ;D

Comment

More on the BSC plans for the future from the Idaho State Journal. Here is the link and a snipet. 30 televised games and he speaks of a majority in favor of expansion. Seems they are not interested in waiting to see if Idaho falls back to IAA.

IAA Image Concerns

But Fullerton was quick to add the I-AA brand is as valuable as ever, thanks in large part to increased television exposure. Last season alone, 28 Big Sky games were televised, and so far more than 30 are under contract for this season. In fact, Fullerton said he wouldn't be surprised if the number gets closer to 40 games as the season draws closer.

One of those games already under contract is the Oct. 10 matchup between Idaho State and Montana, which will be shown as College Sports Television's I-AA Game of the Week.

Furthermore, the upcoming decision on the part of Division I-A presidents in regard to imposing eligibility standards for athletic programs could go a long way in determining the shape of the Big Sky, and I-AA in general.

Among the proposed standards that could be adopted would be mandating all I-A programs feature a 16-sport roster, boast an average home attendance of 15,000, and play host to at least five home games against I-A opponents.

The net effect of such standards being imposed could have a huge effect on I-AA, which would likely have to absorb many of the castoffs from I-A, one of which would likely be former Big Sky program Idaho. Fullerton said, however, he doesn't believe any of the new standards will take effect for at least two to four years.

But Fullerton stressed that neither I-AA or the Big Sky will be content to wait for any decisions on I-A's part. In terms of the Big Sky, he said there's been some interest in possibly expanding the conference, though not by much.

"There's always been a group that's wanted to expand this league," he said. "That group is gaining a majority. As we grow, and as individual schools grow, there's a little uneasiness in maintaining those seven teams you play. I don't know which way it's going to end up."
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X