DI Conference Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DI Conference Hunt

Another article from Chris regarding the conference hunt. Maybe there will be some more news this morning although it sounds like no major decision has been made.

Jacks remain in limbo
    Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com

published: 7/2/2004

Mid-Continent non-committal about future expansion

The Mid-Continent Conference's Presidents Council met Thursday in Chicago and talked about expansion.

No decisions or offers have been made, nor was there a news release. But it wasn't a firm 'no' in SDSU's direction.

Tony Hamilton, the media relations director for the Mid-Continent, said the conference would have a release sometime this morning on the meeting. He was having difficulty reaching officials from the nine-team league, most of who were in transit.

"There's really nothing earth-shattering coming out," Hamilton said.

The Mid-Continent meeting coincided with the first day at the Division I level for both SDSU and North Dakota State. The two schools officially moved up a division in the eyes of the NCAA Thursday.

An announcement on the SDSU athletic department's Web site trumpeted the move.

"Jackrabbit teams will compete as Division I independents during the 2004-05 school year with the exception of football, which will play in the newly formed Great West Football Conference," the site read.

It is expected that the Mid-Continent will continue to discuss adding new schools. The presidents for universities in the Big Sky Conference, the eight-school league SDSU and NDSU approached last year about membership, will meet on Aug. 9.

Big Sky officials had told the two Dakota schools to keep looking for conference affiliation in February 2003 because of geographical concerns.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

This article seems to be boiler plate information, but since the Mid Con is holding meetings that could affect SDSU the article is news worthy. I think this whole process is going to take time. It could be a couple of years, but I dont think SDSU should give up. The good thing that is going for us is Tad Perry Executive Director of the Board of Regents. He seems to be on top of things and is not about to suggest that a rug be pulled out because conferences for all sports are not found.

He said in an earlier article that he was looking for updates from President Miller and that is all. Sorry CLarence. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
        This article seems to be boiler plate information, but since the Mid Con is holding meetings that could affect SDSU the article is news worthy. I think this whole process is going to take time.  It could be a couple of years, but I dont think SDSU should give up.  The good thing that is going for us is Tad Perry Executive Director of the Board of Regents.  He seems to be on top of things and is not about to suggest that a rug be pulled out because conferences for all sports are not found.

He said in an earlier article that he was looking for updates from President Miller and that is all.  Sorry CLarence. ;D
        You are 100% right here. The only news that will come out early is bad news, i.e., that they are not interested. As long as the DI conferences continue to consider SDSU for membership its good news for us. Patience will be the key.

Some would argue that we should have been more patient awaiting a conference invite before moving up. Not only is this point moot, it would have been a mistake. The NCC was not/will not move up as a conference. DI doesn't want new conferences and the NCC members that remain are not interested or able to compete at the DI level. We will find a conference, its just a matter of time.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

From the Mid-Con Site:

http://www.mid-con.com/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=2276

The Mid-Continent Conference Presidents Council held its annual spring meeting on Thursday in Chicago, Ill. Along with accepting a revised league constitution and bylaws, the Presidents Council discussed membership issues, approved a change in format for the league’s basketball tournaments, and elected new officers for the 2004-05 school year.

One major announcement was of a change in format for the 2005 Mid-Con Men’s and Women’s Basketball Tournaments, which will be held at John Q. Hammons Arena at the UMAC in Tulsa, Okla. As opposed to past years, when the women played their quarterfinal round on Saturday and the men opened their tournament on Sunday, the top two seeds in both events will open tournament play on Saturday, while the Nos. 3 and 4 seeds will play their first-round games on Sunday. The tournament format will remain the same for the semifinal (Monday) and championship (Tuesday) rounds. . . .

“The revised tournament format for basketball will reward strong regular-season play by potentially giving a full day’s rest during the tournament for the top two seeds,” Mid-Con Commissioner Ron Bertovich said. “ Additionally, membership issues were discussed and will remain a ‘front burner’ topic for the group.”

Go State!

Comment

It appears no formal action or discussion about conference expansion. If it was discussed or part of the agenda, its not mentioned in the press release. At least its not bad news.  Let keep hoping. ;D ;D

Comment

Actually, I think the last sentence of the press release is quite positive. It says membership issues will remain a front burner topic. To me that says they are actively considering the possibility of adding new members.

Comment

Any more conference news?

Joining the Mid-Continent might be best solution to your problems. It makes sense to join since the MCC will administer the Great West Football Conference.

I do have one question. I noticed while reading this thread that someone mentioned the Missouri Valley Conference as a possible home for SDSU. Why? I can't see South Dakota State as a member of the MVC with schools like Indiana State, Illinois State, Evansville, Southwest Missouri State, etc....

Comment

Poke,

Are you talking about our ability to compeat or the locations of those schools. The Missouri Valley would be my first choice, it is a powerful basketball conference, and with Creighton, Drake, UNI, SW Missouri and Wichita St. all very close, why wouldn't we dream of being in the Missouri Valley?

The "Valley" was always a long shot but why not dream, now that they have said that they are not planning to expand I would be good with the Mid-Continent. The Big Sky would be ok too, although I like the Great West Football Conference, I just want to get this hunt over with so we can move forward.

Comment

Originally posted by DanceswithRabbits
                    Poke,

Are you talking about our ability to compeat or the locations of those schools.  The Missouri Valley would be my first choice, it is a powerful basketball conference, and with Creighton, Drake, UNI, SW Missouri and Wichita St. all very close, why wouldn't we dream of being in the Missouri Valley?
                    I think you misunderstood me. I don't question the fact the Jacks can compete with the Missouri Valley schools.

I just don't think geographic-wise the MVC would be good for SDSU. But then again, if geography was the main requirement for membership TCU would never have joined the Mountain West.

Personally as an outsider, I see SDSU playing schools like Denver, Southern Utah, Montana State, Montana, weber State, Northern Colorado, etc...

South Dakota State, to me, is a western school not a midwestern school like Drake, Evansville, Indiana State, and so forth.

Comment

Drake, Creighton...pretty close to SDSU.

Evansville, with its star, Jerry Sloan (yep, Chicago Bulls standout pre-Jordan; Utah Jazz coach) became well acquainted with the Jacks when the Jacks won the College Division national title. Sid Bostic could call Sloan on the phone and Sloan will remember him well.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                        Drake, Creighton...pretty close to SDSU.
                        They maybe close to SDSU; however, it's my perception that SDSU belongs with schools located in the west like Denver, SUU, & Oral Roberts.

It's probably a safe bet the Mid-Continent will invite SDSU in a few weeks anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by OKC_Poke

I think you misunderstood me.  I don't question the fact the Jacks can compete with the Missouri Valley schools.  

I just don't think geographic-wise the MVC would be good for SDSU.  But then again, if geography was the main requirement for membership TCU would never have joined the Mountain West.

Personally as an outsider, I see SDSU playing schools like Denver, Southern Utah, Montana State, Montana, weber State, Northern Colorado, etc...

South Dakota State, to me, is a western school not a midwestern school like Drake, Evansville, Indiana State, and so forth.
                          Ah got ya, I think it depends where you are from in SD. I have friends in the hills who agree with you that SD is a western state. Folks like me who have always lived on the Eastern edge think of SD as a Midwestern state. Either way Eastern (Mid-Con) or Western (Big Sky) it dosen't matter to me.

Hey Poke think there is any chance of the Jackrabbits and Cowboys playing in Basketball or Football soon?

Comment

Originally posted by DanceswithRabbits

Ah got ya, I think it depends where you are from in SD.  I have friends in the hills who agree with you that SD is a western state.  Folks like me who have always lived on the Eastern edge think of SD as a Midwestern state.  Either way Eastern (Mid-Con) or Western (Big Sky) it dosen't matter to me.
                            I see where you're coming from.  The reason I see South Dakota as a western state is the Black Hills (I've being there at least 3 times), Deadwood with Will Bill Hiccok (sp?), and Sioux fighting to keep the Black Hills from the whites.  

By the way, Wild Bill knew a very famous Wyomingite (of sorts), William Federick "Buffalo Bill" Cody.  Wyoming is quite proud of him.  In fact, my parent's hometown IS Cody, Wyoming!

Hey Poke think there is any chance of the Jackrabbits and Cowboys playing in Basketball or Football soon?
                            Don't know.  Hope so. :-)  Both schools played each other in football back in 1983.  Wyoming won, obvouisly.

Comment

OKC_Poke:

Someday someone will explain what us locals refer to as "East River and West River". That's a bit of a misnomer because many consider parts of SD which is actually east of the Missouri River, as "West River".

It's a little intramural competition...refers to a mind-set more than geography. That's what DanceswithRabbits is referring to.

Poke, I think others on here may also remember a somewhat similar division right on the campus at SDSU. At least in the 70s, Hanson Residence Hall was where all the cowboys lived. I now have some good friends who resided in Hanson Hall back then and I didn't know them in the college years. Today, when I say I lived in Binneweis Hall, the ones who lived in Hanson are aghast! It's pretty funny for those of us who lived there.

One other thought: Those from West River sometimes look down their noses at those of us from East River. Similarly, those of us from East River do the same to those from West River. Some think the distinction is starting to go away...it's mostly a source of good-natured ribbing.

...and when it comes to SDSU, East River and West River are united (thank God for WNAX's reach!).

Go 'rabbits

Comment

Hansen Hall was still "Cowboy Hall" in the '80s. It may have changed when they built Berg and Bailey Halls to the West of Hansen.

Comment

Working...
                                X