New Ph.D. programs at State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ph.D. programs at State

I read a story in the Brookings Register this weekend that the SD Board of Regents add 6 new Doctoral programs and three are going to be offered at State.  Pretty cool.

Go State!  ;D

Re: New Ph.D. programs at State

Look, I found an on line source.

http://www.blackhillsportal.com/npps/story.cfm?ID=298

New doctorate program: Nanoscience and nanoengineering at the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology in Rapid City
    Regents Advance Plans for New Ph.D. Programs

Rapid City, SD -- In a move to advance university-based research that leads to more economic development for the state, the South Dakota Board of Regents plans six new doctoral-level programs in science and medical fields.  .  .  .

“In order to create opportunities to commercialize new ideas, you need strong, viable Ph.D. programs,” Jewett said. “South Dakota must establish for itself a broader base of doctoral programs that generate new research, as well as additional education and employment prospects for our youth.”

In his budget address to state lawmakers, Gov. Mike Rounds has recommended spending almost $1.1 million to help pay for the new programs. Lawmakers will consider his request when they meet for the 2005 session in January.

The regents will ask the South Dakota Legislature to fund three new programs, utilizing $1,088,164 that Gov. Mike Rounds has recommended in his FY06 budget:

A Ph.D. in nanoscience and nanoengineering at South Dakota School of Mines and Technology;  
    A joint Ph.D. program in computational science and statistics at South Dakota State University and The University of South Dakota; and  
    A combined M.D. and Ph.D. program at USD’s medical school.
    Additionally, the regents plan to establish three other doctoral programs with existing university resources:

A Ph.D. degree in nursing at SDSU;  
    A Ph.D. in geospatial science and engineering at SDSU; and  
    A Ph.D. in atmospheric and environmental sciences at SDSMT.  .  .  .

The new Ph.D. programs announced Friday are the latest in a planned strategy to increase South Dakota’s profile in research and development. Increasing university research, and translating that research into ideas and products that can be marketed, are central points in Gov. Rounds’ 2010 economic development initiative.  .  .  .

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Re: New Ph.D. programs at State

I also note that the Board of Regents budget request includes significant money for adding graduate teaching and research assistants across the system, although I'm sure most of them go to SDSU and USD. You can't do much with a graduate program, particularly a Ph.D. program, without money to pay those students to teach and do research while they study.

Comment

Working...
      X