Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy New Year Everyone

Happy New Year Everyone:

It has really been a great year for athletics at SDSU.

Just six months ago, would anyone have really thought that SDSU's football team would finish 6-5 and tied for third in the Great West when all the pundits were picking us to be the doormats of the Great West. Big wins over NDSU, Southern, and UNC. And near misses on the road at Cal Poly, Montana State and Southern Utah.

Then the volleyball team goes 22-12 and finsihed ranked in the top 100 Division ! teams in the country according to the Rich Kern rankings.

And the women's basketball team already has wins over a Big 12 and an SEC team enroute to a 10-4 record at present.

Princiton of the Ivy League at the Barn for wrestling and SDSU wins.

Good performances from several other teams.

Before the season began none of us wanted to admit that the men's Basketball team would struggle as much as it has but they still have a D-! win and what looks to be a great recruiting year.

And the news coverage SDSU has received has been great. The Argus has gone from perhaps anti D-I to lots of positive coverage and support and even some tongue-in-cheek comments like today's article. We have our own JackRabbit Report on KWSN and regular listings in USA Today and on ESPN scores are just a few examples of the great things that are happeneing.

Not to leave the academics behind in any way, we have more than twice the number of the state funded Opportunity Scholarships in our freshmen class of any school in the state and we have added three new PhD programs.

2004 has been a great year at State. I am looking forward to 2005 being even better all across the board.

Re: Happy New Year Everyone

Originally posted by Rabbit74
    2004 has been a great year at State.  I am looking forward to 2005 being even better all across the board.
    Amen to that brother.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74
      Happy New Year Everyone:

It has really been a great year for athletics at SDSU.  

Just six months ago, would anyone have really thought that SDSU's football team would finish 6-5 and tied for third in the Great West when all the pundits were picking us to be the doormats of the Great West.
      SDSU may have exceeded expectations, but don't be too proud about tying for third in the conference. You could say you tied for last, because you didn't have a better conference record than anybody. the pundits picking you as the doormat of the conference weren't really that off. But i would say that State did better than expected and did have some good wins.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsports

SDSU may have exceeded expectations, but don't be too proud about tying for third in the conference. You could say you tied for last, because you didn't have a better conference record than anybody. the pundits picking you as the doormat of the conference weren't really that off.  But i would say that State did better than expected and did have some good wins.
        Again, irrelevant. We don't care for backhanded compliments from supporters of universities who are and will remain in our shadow. If not finishing at the top of a conference indicates failure than USD has mastered that philosophy in almost all major sports over the last decade.

I applaud the turnaround of USD FB by Coach Meirkhort (sp?). I congratulate Boots on another fast start to his season, will the momentum continue into the NCC and post-season? Not if the past holds any clues. As for Lavin, another decent team. DII is the perfect place for USD. I think that says it all.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

Again, irrelevant.   If not finishing at the top of a conference indicates failure than USD has mastered that philosophy in almost all major sports over the last decade.
          i'm not saying that not finishing at the top of your conference is failure. what i was saying was "don't brag about finishing tied for last. And don't act like that was really proving the pundits wrong." You are right, USD has had a lot of poor football teams the last ten years. And at the end of a year where they tie for last you would never hear me bragging about it, or saying how we really proved the pundits wrong. thats all i'm saying. I'm certainly not saying that anything outside of first is a failure.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsports
            i'm not saying that not finishing at the top of your conference is failure. what i was saying was "don't brag about finishing tied for last. And don't act like that was really proving the pundits wrong."  You are right, USD has had a lot of poor football teams the last ten years. And at the end of a year where they tie for last you would never hear me bragging about it, or saying how we really proved the pundits wrong.  thats all i'm saying. I'm certainly not saying that anything outside of first is a failure.
            Spin it however you would like. Let me say what I am hearing from you.

You don't like the fact that SDSU has moved up to DI and you want to see them/us fail. You have had little passion for USD sports except when they play SDSU and now that won't happen anymore, this makes you even more unhappy. You are worried about the state of DII and the NCC, this makes you jealous of what SDSU/we have. For all the uncertainty faced by SDSU and the move to DI there are equal amounts of angst and concern in the NCC. Having to choose one position, I prefer the one SDSU is in over that of USD. That said, I still wish nothing but good tidings for the yotes in whatever adventure the endeavor to undertake in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
              You don't like the fact that SDSU has moved up to DI and you want to see them/us fail.  You have had little passion for USD sports except when they play SDSU and now that won't happen anymore, this makes you even more unhappy.  You are worried about the state of DII and the NCC, this makes you jealous of what SDSU/we have.  For all the uncertainty faced by SDSU and the move to DI there are equal amounts of angst and concern in the NCC.
              That is a brilliant bit of psychoanalysis, jackmd. I think you should send mrsports a bill for helping him confront his fears.

Comment

Working...
              X