D2 Scholarship situaiton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D2 Scholarship situaiton

A lengthy article regarding the proposed scholarship reduction in D2. Glad we only have to worry about increasing our scholarships ;D

http://www.d2football.com/Stories/scholarships2005.html

Re: D2 Scholarship situaiton

I don't see the point in dropping scholarships to 24. That's the level of the NAIA. There's nothing wrong with the NAIA, but that's what you want, then why not move to the NAIA, where you can have 24 scholarships?

It seems to me that the NAIA exists to fill a gap left between NCAA D-II and NCAA D-III. The NCAA should either create a new division or merge with the NAIA.

Comment

I known the writer of the article and founder of D2football.com for some time. Though Brandon is a native Missourian, his father is from the Standburg SD area and Brandon told me he was a cousin to Jamie Nelson, who played women's BB for SDSU.  

Brandon has had interest in what has been going on at SDSU and he really hated to see both NDSU and SDSU leave.
      I met him in person at the SDSU-NWMSU game.  Brandon understands D2 better than anyone around and he does his home work.  I am not surprised by his final conclusion, but when Presidents are calling the shots, less money on athletics always seems to be an easy way out for college adminstrators.  I hope the reduction does not happen, and I hope the NCC does continue toward excellence.

Comment

For D2 football, it has to be one of the top 2-3 sites. Interesting take on the NAIA.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
          I known the writer of the article and founder of D2football.com for some time. Though Brandon is a native Missourian, his father is from the Standburg SD area and Brandon told me he was a cousin to Jamie Nelson, who played women's BB for SDSU.  

Brandon has had interest in what has been going on at SDSU and he really hated to see both NDSU and SDSU leave.
          I met him in person at the SDSU-NWMSU game.  Brandon understands D2 better than anyone around and he does his home work.  I am not surprised by his final conclusion, but when Presidents are calling the shots, less money on athletics always seems to be an easy way out for college adminstrators.  I hope the reduction does not happen, and I hope the NCC does continue toward excellence.
          I have to say that it is nice to hear you wish the NCC well because I think that most SCSU fans are wishing SDSU the best as well.

I believe scholarship reductions are a horrible idea and I don't think it will pass anyway. SCSU is not in a spot to make a move to DI so it would suck for us. I don't think our budget would allow it. Anyway, good luck.

Comment

The D2 proposal to cut scholarships was defeated by about a 65% of 145 member schools who voted "no" on the vote. I think this will keep UND and USD at D2 for the time being. The talk of another classification between D1AA and D2 is interesting. I have my doubts about that as well. Here is the link to the Omaha World Herald.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=...;u_sid=1306129

Comment

My proposal is to have the NCAA add a 24-scholarship division, either by adding one or by asborbing the NAIA. If they absorbed the NAIA, the people who currently run the NAIA could be hired to run the new division.

That should make a lot of people happy - they would get the 24-scholarship and still have the mosre prestigious NCAA name behind them.

This might be appealing to D-III teams that have hockey programs - neither D-II nor NAIA have hockey. A new division that was a step down from D-II might let them move up a notch, but still keep hockey.

Comment

Good news for the NCC. However, I think its not a matter of if but when DII scholies levels will be significantly dropped. Each successive year the DII have-nots get more and more voting power. As more schools make the NAIA to DII jump (and others make the jump to DI), that 65% majority will shrink.

Comment

Perhaps there could be a revolt against scholarship reductions? Why not leave the NCAA over it? After all, the NAIA exists as a seperate organization, why couldn't another?

Form a new sports authority which offered perhaps 40 scholarships? I'm saying this a but facetiously, but if schools really threatened to pull out, the NCAA might well do something.

Comment

The main reason that I dont believe we will see any more classifications within the NCAA that has a playooff is the  cost. Its been my understanding that the playoffs for D2 and D3 that run in the red are subsidized by a small portion of revenue received from CBS for the Big Dance.  Bill Bynre former AD at Nebraska used to complain about  the arrangement that benefited D2 and D3. Of course he was nicknamed "Dollar Bill" by some big red fans and is now at Texas A & M.

Not all playoff games at D2 and D3 are money makers like they probably have been for football at UND, NWMSU and Pitt State to name a few.

I would love to see the figures on the Chadron State game they hosted in D2 football maybe two years ago. Chadron played Tarleton from SW Texas.  Tarleton flew to Denver and motored to Chadron. The costs for this game where not cheap and even if Chadron filled their facilty there could not have been much left over in dollars.  

The starting of a new assocaition with a new set of rules sounds interesting, but again it takes money to start this organization.  If the would be members feel dues for the NCAA and NAIA are high, then they may not want to buy into a new organization either.  Getting going would be costly and you would have to 40 or so members who where throughly disgruntled with the NCAA to make it work and would be willing to furnish the necessary start up costs.

The bottom line, its all about money.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodentia
                      Perhaps there could be a revolt against scholarship reductions?  Why not leave the NCAA over it?  After all, the NAIA exists as a seperate organization, why couldn't another?

Form a new sports authority which offered perhaps 40 scholarships?  I'm saying this a but facetiously, but if schools really threatened to pull out, the NCAA might well do something.
                      The only flaw in that scenario is that it was the DII member schools themselves that proposed and voted on the grant reductions. Same as when DII dropped grants from 60, 55, 50, 45, and 40. It was the majority of DII members that wanted the reductions, not the NCAA administration. The NCAA never asked the DII schools, "Hey, why don't you drop the level of grants in DII?". It was the DII schools that proposed it and voted on it.

Comment

I didn't say that the NCAA was attempting to force D-II to reduce scholarships. But if new arrivals to D-II coming from NAIA and D-III want to lower the number of scholarships, then the D-II schools that oppose it have a few options.

1) Live with it.
                        2) Move up to D-I.
                        3) Drop sports.
                        4) Leave the NCAA and form their own association.

There is a demand for a 24-scholarship division, no doubt. It's the reason that NAIA exists. NAIA exists because the NCAA is ignoring demand. What the NCAA can do to fix this problem is to add a new division, or to absorb NAIA.

Comment

Rodentia,

I hear you loud and clear- My post was probably a little better suited to a thread on the D2football.com board that my points were more targeted towards.

I'm just a little peeved at some DII fans that are suddenly up-in-arms over a possible reduction in football grants, but were nowhere to be found and probably voted for the reductions in the 80's and 90's.

Comment

Working...
                          X