Baseball prospectus is out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball prospectus is out

I know it seems early, but the baseball team's first pitch is just a little more then a month away. Here is a link to the '05 prospectus:

http://www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary...Prospectus.pdf

Good luck to Coach Christiansen and the Jackrabbits!

Go State! ;D

Re: Baseball prospectus is out

Never taken an active interest in Jacks Baseball but that will change now!

Comment

Actually the first games are only two weeks away at KANSAS!! I have been fortunate enough to have a couple conversations with Coach Christiansen and he will bring some much needed energy into the Jacks baseball program.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_tracks
        Actually the first games are only two weeks away at KANSAS!!  I have been fortunate enough to have a couple conversations with Coach Christiansen and he will bring some much needed energy into the Jacks baseball program.
        You are right! Not sure why I thought the games started in March. SDSU vs Kansas Feb. 16 - 20, I'll take in a game or two (assuming they get to play the games, snowing today).

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Jayhawks! ;D

Comment

Tough start, Jacks need to be ready but that is what it is about.
          Kansas starts now they play at Hawaii-Hilo 6 games Feb 4-9 and then three vs. Stanford Feb 11-13. So they will be prepared for us for our 4 game stand Feb 16-20.
          http://kuathletics.collegesports.com...ebl-sched.html

There were three Jayhawks players selected Preseason All-Big 12. http://kuathletics.collegesports.com...011305aab.html
          Picked #8 in Big 12 by Big12Baseball.com

KU Baseball http://kuathletics.collegesports.com...sebl-body.html

NDSU plays them March 11-13

Comment

Baseball prospectus is out

Tidbits from the baseball prospectus, does anyone know where we finished in 1984 ? I also thought it was a interesting side note that Reggie Christiansen's first games as skipper are against a team where he was a  volunteer assistant.
            [hr]
            First year of baseball: 1947
            Overall all-time record: 915-757-3
            No. yrs. in DII championship/last: 1/1984
            Years in NCAA regional/last: nine, 1995

Lettermen Returning (13)
            2005 OUTLOOK - A new era in Jackrabbit baseball begins this season, as Reggie Christiansen becomes the sixth head coach in SDSU history. Christiansen, the head coach at Menlo College in Atherton, Calif., in 2002, spent the previous two seasons as a volunteer assistant at Kansas. He inherits a squad that returns five starting position players, as well as six pitchers who saw significant action last year.
            A key returning position player is Greg Geary. Geary joined the triple century club (100 or more hits, runs and RBIs) during the 2004 season, garnering second-team all-North Central Conference recognition. Geary, a senior from Rapid City, S.D, finished seventh last season in the NCC in hitting with a .351 average. He also tied for second in the league in RBIs, with 31, and tied for second in the league with eight home runs. Geary has started 139 consecutive games for the Jacks, compiling a .384 career batting average and 919 career putouts. Geary also tied the SDSU single-season record with 18 doubles. He has 33 career home runs, leaving him nine shy of Billy McMacken’s SDSU record with one year to play.
            Another position player returning is second baseman Tony Lane. A senior from Chaska, Minn., Lane started 43 of the team’s 48 games at second base and compiled a .290 batting average. Outfielder Pat Farrell (Sr., Excelsior, Minn.) also returns to the squad. Farrell hit .400 during the 2004 season.
            Chris Iverson and Kyle Sytsma also return as starters from a year ago. Iverson (So., Pierre, S.D.) started games at six different positions, ending the year with 19 starts at shortstop. Iverson enters the spring as the Jacks starting shortstop. Sytsma (Jr., Chaska, Minn.) started 45 games at catcher last season.
            The Jacks return two starting pitchers, Josh Elliot and Francisco Torres. Torres (Sr., Caracas, Venezuela) led the Jacks in innings pitched last year with 53.1.Senior Tigh Surdez (Spearfish, S.D.) also returns to the staff, but in a new role. Surdez will be one the go-to guys out of the Jackrabbit bullpen.
            Tyson Bothof, a senior transfer from Kansas, looks to make a sudden impact on the staff this year. His experience against Big 12 teams, as well as some of the nation’s best, will help the Jacks in their move to the Division I level. Christiansen was optimistic after his club’s fall workouts. “I felt our fall practices went as well as you could possibly hope for. There were some pleasant suprises that I wasn’t anticipating and a lot of energy in the way our players went about their work. We still have a lot of work ahead of us, but if we can pitch well enough and catch the baseball we should be successful.”

Comment

1984?

I recall SDSU hosted the Regional but did not win and go on to the Small College World Series.(Wrong SEE BELOW)
              Greg Kvalvig and other pitcher(Morehouse??) were drafted. Kvalvig went to the Cubs and made it up to Iowa AAA before giving up the career in Baseball. The other whose name I can not fully recall played in the Anaheim farm system.  Its a while ago and my recall is slipping here.  Maybe this will get some one to fully recall in a correct manner.

Comment

I took a look at the 2004 Media Guide and the page related to Mark Ekelund. It states that

"During Ekeland's most memorable season -his first at SDSU in 1984- State finished second in the divisional standings. That was still good enough to get the Jacks in the playoffs,and they went on a roll that took them all the way to California for the NCAA Division II championship tournament. State won the NCC playoffs in three straight games, then hosted and won the NCAA Midwest Regional to earn SDSU'S only trip to the Division II World Series. Ekeland was voted NCC and NCAA Regional Coach of the Year."

My prior post was wrong we did win the regional and went to the College World Series. Also the media guide shows a record for 1984 as being 27-13. That 12 games under the 1994 record of 39-10-1. Apparently the 1984 team and I do recall got better and peaked in the playoff season.

Comment

The Jayhawks (who we open the season with on Feb. 16th) opened their season with a win in Hawaii.

http://kuathletics.collegesports.com...020505aaa.html

Quick's Complete Game Shutout Propels Jayhawks to Season-Opening Win

Feb. 5, 2005

KONA, Hawaii - Junior pitcher Kodiak Quick tossed a three-hit complete game shutout to lift the University of Kansas baseball team to a 4-0 season-opening victory over Hawaii-Hilo at Simmons' Field in Kona, Hawaii, on Saturday afternoon.

Quick (1-0) got into trouble in the bottom of the first inning, as the first two Vulcan batters reached on a single and an error. The Belton, Mo., native used a double play and a strikeout to get of the inning unscored on. Following the first two batters of the game, Quick retired 23 of the next 24 hitters before allowing two base runners in the ninth inning. For the game, Quick threw 95 pitches and recorded eight strikeouts to give KU its first complete game shutout since the 2003 season. . . .

With the loss, Hawaii-Hilo drops to 0-6 on the season.

The win marked the first time the Jayhawks have won on opening day since Price took over the program prior to the 2003 season.

Kansas and Hawaii-Hilo will play a doubleheader at Simmons' Field in Kona, Hawaii, on Sunday. The first pitch of game one is set for 10 a.m. local time and the second game will follow the conclusion of the first game.

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Jayhawks! ;D

Comment

To update the Jayhawks in Hawaii for six games. Jayhawks win first five with one left today 02/09/2005. The on Feb 11th open up three games with Stanford before SDSU travels down to Kansas on 02/16/2005 for 4 games.

News Releases
                    http://kuathletics.collegesports.com...-spec-rel.html
                    February 9, 2005 - Jayhawk Baseball Pounds Hawaii-Hilo 16-8
                    February 8, 2005 - Kansas Baseball Downs Hawaii-Hilo to Remain Unbeaten
                    February 6, 2005 - Zagurski Leads KU to Doubleheader Sweep of Hawaii-Hilo
                    February 6, 2005 - KU Baseball Defeats Hawaii-Hilo in First Game of Doubleheader
                    February 5, 2005 - Quick's Complete Game Shutout Propels Jayhawks to Season-Opening Win

Comment

Ready or not Kansas (6-3) here we come, State opens Baseballs season this week at Kansas as everyone knows. Update on Jayhawks, took a 6 games seris from Hawaii-Hilo to complete series sweep then droped a 3 game series to #6 Stanford.

Should be a great opening weekend, looking forward to it.

State Baseball is here must mean spring is here correct lol

Comment

Highlights from the Collegian:

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/news/20...s-865000.shtml

Baseball, softball seasons start; new D-I opponents
                        By Faith Moldan

Although the New Year has come and gone, new beginnings abound with the men's baseball team and women's softball.

With first-year coach Reggie Christiansen at the helm, the men's baseball team looks to face a challenging schedule against many Division I opponents. Christiansen, a graduate of Menlo College in Atherton, Calif, served as head coach for his alma mater during the 2002 season.

Christiansen is happy to be at SDSU.

"It's a pleasure to work with these guys," he said.

Returning to the lineup for the Jackrabbits are senior Greg Geary at first base, senior Tony Lane at second, sophomore Chris Iverson at shortstop, junior Kyle Stysma catching, and senior Pat Farrell in left field. Also returning are pitchers Francisco Torres, Josh Elliot and Tigh Surdez.

Torres, from Caracas, Venezuela, will be one of the top starters along with Elliot.

The Jacks will look to four players, Geary, Surdez, Iverson and senior transfer Tyson Bothof for leadership. Geary is on pace to break offensive records.

"He put up good numbers and his work ethic is great," Christiansen said.

Bothof brings experience as a D-I player at Kansas. Christiansen credits Surdez as being one of the hardest workers on the team as well as Iverson.

"He's not a real vocal leader, but he works hard," Christiansen said of Iverson.

SDSU had an overall record of 12-36 last season and begins this season with a four-game stint at Kansas.

"We're focusing on Kansas and not looking ahead. If we look ahead we'll lose focus," Christiansen said.

The "home" games against Minnesota and Creighton (Neb.) will be played at the Sioux Falls Stadium.

The 2006-2007 schedule will have more D-I schools coming to Brookings.

"Our team is really young, but I feel good about our core guys," he said. "The assistant coaches, Chris Smart and Matt Duncan, work extremely hard to help the players too." . . .

Go State! ;D

Comment

Working...
                        X