MSN homepage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSN homepage

I saw on the MSN homepage yesterday they had articles on colleges. It listed USD as something or another and quoted them as the flagship institution of the state.

Who writes the articles? How do they come up with their information?

Is the flagship institution in the case of South Dakota, a realism or a perceived enity?

What would the criteria be that establishes that a particular institution becomes the flagship university of a particular state or region?

Re: MSN homepage

Here is a definition that is often used:

Chancellor Robert M. Berdahl’s - University of California, Berkeley wrote, “What do we mean by the term "flagship" universities? The term applies, in all the cases I can think of, to the fully mature public universities serving most of states. In most cases, these institutions were the first public universities to be established in their states. Many of what we now call the flagship campuses were established in the extraordinary period of university building that took place in the United States in the roughly three decades from the mid-1850s to the mid-1880s. Many came into being after the Morrill Act of 1863 provided the federal grants of land to the states to establish public universities. Some states built two institutions, a land-grant college focused on agriculture and the "mechanical arts" as well as general education, and another more directed at classical education and the other professions. For example, Michigan, Indiana, Iowa, Washington, and Texas, among others, built separate institutions, while Illinois, Minnesota, Ohio, and California combined the land-grant and liberal arts function on a single campus. These institutions formed the core of the public systems of higher education in their respective states. State teachers colleges, later evolving into regional state colleges or universities, formed the rest of the higher education institutions in most states.”

In this case USD and SDSU are flagship, although we know which is better.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Re: MSN homepage

Originally posted by Joe_Jackrabbit
      I saw on the MSN homepage yesterday they had  articles on colleges.  It listed USD as something or another and quoted them as the flagship institution of the state.

Who writes the articles? How do they come up with their information?

Is the flagship institution in the case of South Dakota, a realism or a perceived enity?

What would the criteria be that establishes that a particular institution becomes the flagship university of a particular state or region?
      We had a fairly lengthy discussion about this elsewhere. "Flagship" institution means just what it sounds like. IMHO SDSU fits that better than USD. I'm biased though.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
      X