• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Lions

Little piece from the Grand Forks paper:

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandf...s/10480832.htm

Mountain lion moves east:

A young male mountain lion has made its way through North Dakota into northwestern Minnesota, according to Jacquie Ermer, furbearer biologist for the North Dakota Game and Fish Department.

A Game and Fish contract pilot obtained a signal of the radio-collared lion Wednesday near Karlstad, Minn., about 70 miles northeast of Grand Forks. The cat originally was sighted in North Dakota on Dec. 5 near Turtle River State Park, about 20 miles west of Grand Forks, and the last signal was heard Dec. 15 northeast of Manvel, N.D.

The lion moved nearly 50 miles in the past seven days, Ermer said.

South Dakota State University researchers attached a radio-collar to the young lion late last winter in the Black Hills, as part of a research project investigating juvenile mountain lion dispersal and survival. Since then it has traveled some 450 miles.

In 2004, 58 mountain lion sightings have been reported in North Dakota, and seven have been officially confirmed.

Go State!

Re: Mountain Lions

There have been several mountain lion sighting near Brookings.  Last week 2 horses were mauled and I believe both ended up dying--a mountain lion is the chief suspect.  This was just outside of Brookings near the old landfill on the south side of town.  We've had confirmed sightings in the Flandreau area, but no "confirmed" sightings in the Brookings area.  In Sioux City a lady walked outside of her house with her son and notice a mountain lion taking a nap in the tree.  She called the authorities and then caught the lion on video tape.  It was later shot and killed out of the tree.  

Interesting stuff.

Comment

There has been one horse attacked about 40 miles west of Fargo. I heard the SDSU researcher interviewed on KFGO today. It sound kind of plausible particularily if the population in the Black Hills is saturated.

Comment

More news:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5153142.html

Cougar roaming North Dakota, Minnesota
        Associated Press
        December 24, 2004

FARGO, N.D. -— A researcher tracking a cougar through North Dakota into northwestern Minnesota says he expects the cougar to stay on the move until it finds a mate.
        South Dakota State University professor John Jenks said it is rare for such animals to attack humans. People who happen to get close to them should not try to run, but should wave their arms and make noise, he advised.

Jenks said the male cat, last reported near Karlstad, Minn., is one of about 35 South Dakota cougars with radio tags used to study their habits. Authorities say the cougar has traveled about 50 miles in the last week alone.  .  .  .

Nice pup for the prof. and the University.  8)

Go State!  ;D

Comment

They have been around a long time officially unofficial.

recently:
          Yankton one shot and killed in yard
          Beresford, SD two colts and a horse attacked (last spring)
          Canton, SD I lost a ewe to a very unexplainable attack, that took place in day light in the open? I can't say for sure, but it was at same time has horse attacks near Beresford 13 miles away. And it did look like a coyote or dog (I have had my share of them).
          Viborg, SD one spotted this fall
          Akron, Ia several spotted along the Big Sioux

Point is if you live along or near a river, creek, or forest land there is a good chance they have been there. Either passing through or living there. Of course officially there are none even if there are.

Comment

WHO THE HELL CARES?

This thread does not belong on this board. Many will agree when I say that I come to this board to get information on SDSU recruits, games we are trying to schedule, progress in the conference hunt, inside information, etc. I don't care about mountain lions, I don't care if you like hearing Adam Timmerman on Monday Night Football (who doesn't?), I don't care who won the Heisman (actually I do, but not on this board), and I especially don't care what two morons from Omaha think.

Sorry if this offends you, but it needed to be said. Don't make posts just to be making posts. Please do me and many others a favor. Before you post, ask yourself, "is this post relevant?"

Comment

I think Santa left someone a lump of coal.

Go State! ;D

Comment

AJacks,

Before posting, take a moment and look at what category this is in..."Other SDSU Activities."  Now take a moment and re-read the bold words in the posts by 89Rabbit to unveil the mystery of the SDSU connection.

Aha...the mystery unveiled!

Hey, my 160th post!

Comment

Relax, life is short enjoy it. If you don't want to read about Mountain Lions don't click into the thread titled Mountain Lions.

FYI: You can tell what thread is about by reading the title, hope this helps

Comment

Everyone's favorite cat is in the news again.  

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/arti...top/news01.txt

Black Hills lion roams to Canada

By Kevin Woster, Journal Staff Writer

A young mountain lion captured and released by state wildlife biologists near Nemo last May has been a busy traveler during the past 10 months.

The cat was recently detected near the Canadian border in northern Minnesota after showing up first in the Slim Buttes of northwestern South Dakota and next near Grand Forks in eastern North Dakota.  

"Once they decide to go, it seems to move pretty quick," state lion researcher Dan Thompson of Hill City said. "He's looking for good habitat, then eventually, he's going to be looking for a female. He's still trying to figure out where he's going."  

A wildlife crew captured a pair of young male lions May 4 near Nemo. The lions, believed to be siblings, weighed about 90 pounds each and were estimated to be 1 to 1˝ years old.

Thompson, a South Dakota State University researcher working with the state Game, Fish & Parks Department, said both cats were fitted with radio-transmitter collars, allowing them to be located after they were released. The cats stayed together for a while after being released before splitting up, Thompson said.

"The sibling was heading toward Spearfish to the northwest and was hit by a vehicle," Thompson said. "The other one started moving north and kind of followed the Whitewood Creek drainage out of the Hills."  .  .  .

Go State! ;D

Comment

Working...
                    X