Wrestling Transfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrestling Transfer

From the Sports Digest in today's Argus (I couldn't fine it in the online version this morning).

Derek Pirner, three time Class B state champion and South Dakota wrestler of the year his senior year is transfering to SDSU for next year. He wrestled on the varsity for Nebraska this year at weights from 125-141. He was 241-24 at Elk Point in high school.

Re: Wrestling Transfer

Good News. For a change transfer "in instead of a transfer "out". Wonder how many years of eligibilty does he he have left.

Comment

This is great to see for the wrestling program. IMO, there could be more wrestlers making decisions like this that will benefit both SDSU and NDSU's programs. If you look at some of the top DI programs, they are all in a four state area (Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State, UNI, Nebraska). There are a lot of good wrestlers in these programs, but only one spot at each weight. Eventually kids are going to be looking for that shot at nationals and realize they may not get it where they are at. With SDSU's fast track to qualification in wrestling hopefully more of those good wrestlers in a bad situation may see the light and choose SDSU as a place to make their career goals. Just my thoughts.

Congrats on landing a good one Liles. Keep it up.
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

From what i have heard i think we will be pleasantly surprised by the # of quality SD kids we will have with our wrestling program next year. I hope they all commit.
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Pirner redshirted while earning a 15-5 open record and splitting time between 133 and 141 pounds. He will be a great addition to the wrestling team.

Comment

Because he was a redshirt, does he have to sit out any time before joining the Jacks?
            If I understand he has all 4 years of eligibility?
            Sounds like a great addition!!

Comment

This is his second year at Nebraska, he red shirted last year.

Here is a link to his page at Nebraska

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.d...;Q_SEASON=2004

Does that mean he has to sit out one year and will then have two years left?

Comment

If memory serves me, the last time we benefitted from a Nebraska transfer was one Ryan Resel. He only went on to win the National Championship at his weight class. I believe he won it 2 years in a row. This was after he tried out for the football team for one semester. Let's hope this new guy can come close to repeating what Resel set as the benchmark for a Nebraska transfer.
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Just announced on Craig and Mike that Chris Moran of Rapid City has signed to wrestle at SDSU. He was a heck of a football player!

Comment

Her's the story on Chris Moran from Jacks.com

04/15/2005
                    Jacks Sign State Champion Wrestler

BROOKINGS, S.D. — Rapid City Stevens state wrestling champion Chris Moran has signed a national letter of intent indicating he will enroll at South Dakota State University and participate in the Jackrabbit wrestling program.

Moran posted a 48-2 record enroute to the state title at 189 as a senior and posted a 147-25 career record competing for coaches Brian Moser and Kain Klinkhammer. He had three 40-win seasons. He was sixth at 152 pounds as a freshman when he finished 40-15, and finished third at 160 pounds as a sophomore with a 40-7 record. He finished his junior season 19-1, with the season cut short by an injury.

“We are very excited to add Chris to our program,” SDSU coach Jason Liles said. “He is a tremendous athlete and student.”

In addition to his wrestling accomplishments, Moran was a two-time all-state running back in football. He is a member of the National Honor Society and earned academic all-state honors in both football and wrestling.

The son of Tim and Patty Moran, Chris plans to major in environmental engineering.

Liles has been head coach at South Dakota State for 12 seasons. The Jacks posted a 10-8 dual record in 2004-05 including victories over six NCAA Division I opponents.

Comment

Working...
                    X