NDSU VS UND AND SDSU VS USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDSU VS UND AND SDSU VS USD

There are some interesting twists going on in the neighboring state of North Dakota. Today's Fargo Forum has a article on what is going on, and Jeff Kolpeck also did a column last week. The issue is that certain ND legislators have taken an interest in the NDSU athletic budget and they asking for a audit which makes no sense unless, you are up to no good and hoping to find political fodder.

Here is the Forum article.

Division I dollars: Raising funds has its good days, bad days
    By Jeff Kolpack, The Forum
    Published Sunday, April 17, 2005
    · advertisement ·
    With less than 10 percent of their budget being funded by the state, North Dakota State athletic department officials admit it hasn't been easy raising the money required for the school's move to Division I.

"It's a struggle," NDSU assistant athletic director Erv Inniger said.

Yet athletic director Gene Taylor continues to maintain that his department is on course for funding the move from Division II to Division I.

NDSU announced Aug. 30, 2002, that it would move to Division I and pledged to operate the athletic department without seeking or using additional state-appropriated money.

Taylor confirmed the pledge last week when some North Dakota legislators asked for an audit of NDSU's athletic department.

RELATED CONTENT
    Coaching salary bar raised with Kill's contract
    "I have no problem opening our books and showing that we're doing what we promised we'd do two years ago," Taylor said last week.

NDSU's athletic department received $760,000 from state appropriations last year, a figure that amounts to almost 10 percent of its budget.

The rest of the pie, which adds up to approximately $7.7 million, is generated by the school through fund-raising, game guarantees, ticket sales, sponsorships, student fees and institutional dollars, Taylor said.

"Gene has said over and over, 'Guys, I know we're all stressed out and working to the max but something has to sacrifice,' " Inniger said. "We're all pushing hard but we knew it would be hard. And once you're in it, it's harder than you can imagine."

Inniger's efforts are geared to help NDSU through the five-year Division I reclassification period. His goal is $1 million a year for the next two years. He says this year's target is 40 percent complete with a June 31 deadline.

"It just takes time," he said. "I have a couple of guys right now who could turn it into 80 percent."

Football is seeing the biggest increase in scholarships going from 36 to 63. Women's basketball is going from 10 to 15, men's basketball from 10 to 13 and wrestling from five to 10. Since NDSU puts a full ride at about $10,000, that's an increase of $400,000 from the 2003 athletic year.

State tax payers are not footing that bill, Taylor said. He said 80 percent of the North Dakota Higher Education state-appropriated $760,000 goes toward salaries.

Inniger's fund-raising effort is not part of NDSU Team Makers, which for years has been the fund-raising arm of the athletic department. In 2004, Team Makers registered a striking rise in contributions surpassing $1 million - a long way from the $105,000 it raised in 1978.

That eventually reached $705,000 in 2000 followed by $716,000 in 2001, $717,000 in 2002 and $767,000 in 2003.

"At first, you say, 'wow that's a stretch, a 35 percent increase in a mature organization,' " said Pat Simmers, Team Makers executive director. "But once you get into it, it starts happening."

Simmers said NDSU's Division I-AA football schedule and the Division I transition in general are two big reasons for the increase.

"Just a lot of energy," he said. "There are a lot of people getting off the minimum and saying we need to support that."

The group is not resting at $1 million. Simmers said the goal for 2005 is $1.4 million. About 95 percent of the Team Makers funds go toward scholarships.

"We have a great group of volunteers that pound the pavement and believe in the cause," he said.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Jeff Kolpack at (701) 241-5546

Re: NDSU VS UND AND SDSU VS USD

As a follow up here is Kolpeck's opinion column from Friday.

Rivalry is no longer fun, games
    Jeff Kolpack, The Forum
    Published Friday, April 15, 2005
    Jeff Kolpack has covered sports at The Forum since 1990. His primary beat is covering North Dakota State University athletics. He has won eight first-place reporting awards and enjoys family and running when not writing.

The number of television talk shows these days must rival the number of sitcoms that bomb per year. Every Ellen, Jane and Jerry has one.

The latest trend is to treat the studio audience to some freebie to demonstrate how generous these folks are. If you're an author, the audience gets a book. If you're a musician, the audience gets a CD. In the case of Oprah, here's a free car.

I'm not a talk-show host, so I can only dish one thing for free: advice.

So pay attention Bison and Sioux audience members, this goes out to you.

Enough, already.

Jeff Kolpack
    Please. Stop. Now.

This rivalry shtick has gone too far. There once was a time in the '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s when the battle was left on the field and anything after that was followed with a chuckle.

But the turn of the century has brought a turn for the worse. The venom is thick. Bison vs. Sioux is getting downright nasty and they don't even play each other anymore.

Perhaps that's the problem. What was once an athletic rivalry is now a political one.

Whatever the case, it is getting embarrassing.

Division II vs. Division I. Who's right? Who's wrong? The Higher Education funding formula: who's getting robbed and who is not? The UND Fargo Center: tie a yellow ribbon around the president's mouth.

Although not originated from Fargo or Grand Forks, now it's the UND medical school audit vs. the NDSU athletic department audit.

Certainly, it would be interesting to see the NDSU athletic books. When the school announced it was raising its budget from close to $6 million to $7.7 million because of reclassification, our curiosity alert was elevated.

But isn't there something called probable cause in this country? Doesn't there have to be some snippet of evidence?

Let's hope the lawmakers know more than they're letting on because forcing a school to spend a few thousand dollars for an audit because of "rumors" does not meet the threshold. Let's hope there is more than just bar room talk to this audit.

If we spent thousands investigating every rumor in the newspaper business, we would go broke.

But we have yet to see a Bison uniform bill go unpaid; a hotel manager put a claim against NDSU, a coach saying payroll is late or major cuts in the budget. Until evidence that this bigger budget is not working comes to the surface, to force an audit seems more immature than a sixth-grade free-for-all phy-ed class.

To the best of our knowledge, the NDSU administration has been honest and open about the Division I move. If they have been exercising skullduggery, then they are very good at it.

Unless something to the contrary comes to light, athletic director Gene Taylor and President Joseph Chapman have earned the right to be taken by their word.

Readers can reach Jeff Kolpack at (701) 241-5546 or jkolpack@forumcomm.com

Forum Communications Company
    ©2005 Forum Communications Co. Fargo, ND 58102 — All rights reserved Media Partners: The Forum | WDAY TV 6 | WDAY 970 AM | WDAZ TV 8
    The Forum: Home Delivery | eEdition

Comment

Here is an updated article on ND legislature and what is going on. I risk giving Frank Klouchek new ideas by posting this article

No new funding for NDSU
      By Janell Cole, The Forum
      Published Friday, April 22, 2005

BISMARCK - North Dakota State University dodges an audit but gains no additional money in a compromise reached Thursday on higher education funding.

Some Fargo lawmakers who have pushed throughout the session for more money to equalize funding to NDSU are disappointed in the deal worked out by House and Senate conferees on Senate Bill 2003.

"That's horrible," Rep. Scot Kelsh, D-Fargo, said after hearing about the newest version of the bill. "That's not enough for equity. I don't see why Bismarck, Fargo or Devils Lake delegations wouldn't reject that conference committee report."

Sen. Tim Flakoll, R-Fargo, believes many legislators won't be satisfied with the report.

"I might not be able to vote for it - the conference committee report," he said. "This may be one that has to go back, that needs to go back (for more negotiations)."

But the newest version of the bill makes no mention of a threatened audit of the NDSU Athletic Department, and blocks a planned audit of the University of North Dakota School of Medicine - two audits that many lawmakers saw as a tit-for-tat squabble that stems in part from NDSU's move to NCAA Division I athletics.

Sen. Richard Brown, R-Fargo, said he heard the audit would have cost NDSU $500,000 and is glad it's not in the bill.

"I would hope the hostility for the school going to Division I will lay down and die," he said.

The agreement Thursday retains an extra $2 million put into the bill several weeks ago to help equalize state funding for the state's 11 colleges and universities. All of the institutions use a peer group comparison to measure whether theirs is close to the funding similar institutions in other states receive. Under the formula, NDSU, Bismarck State College and Lake Region State College in Devils Lake are the most underfunded of the North Dakota institutions.

As much as he hoped for more money for NDSU, Brown said he would be reluctant to send the bill back to conference committee for another round of negotiations.

"I'm disappointed. I have not talked to anyone about whether we should fight the conference report," he said.

He fears that if the bill returns to a conference committee, money will be taken out, not added.

Keith Bjerke, vice president of university relations at NDSU, was sanguine at the news of the bill's changes and the amount of equity funds it contains

"Well, I mean, legislators legislate," he said. "My concern was to make them aware of an issue that was being ignored. It's a whole lot better than nothing."

One section of the bill that raised eyebrows was a mandate that would send $150,000 to the private University of Mary in Bismarck. In the compromise bill, the state Board of Higher Education may devote that much money to student aide in U-Mary doctoral programs, but it is not mandated.
      ©2005 Forum Communications Co. Fargo, ND 58102

Comment

UND has got some serious issues.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
        X