X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROD DEHAVEN TO BE INDUCTED Part II

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...52/1002/SPORTS

PART II

Even in college, DeHaven's most memorable moment at the Dakota Relays involved some delays.

He planned to make a run for the 1,500 meet record in 1987, the same year he ran 3:40 to finish second in NCAA Division II behind Peter Rono, an Olympic gold medalist for Kenya in 1988.But that Saturday event was canceled because of lightning at Howard Wood Field, and DeHaven redshirted the outdoor season in 1988.

Finally, as a senior in 1989, DeHaven made another mark on meet tradition - this time by mastering the 5,000 meters.It was the final event of the Friday night session, and heavy winds and bitter cold had driven away most of the crowd.

By that point in his career, though, DeHaven didn't need pleasant weather or emotional support to push him toward history.

"I led start to finish with two guys from Nebraska right on my tail," he said. "It was very windy, there was snow coming down, and there were probably 30 people left in the stadium. With 800 meters to go, (Underwood) yelled that I needed to finish with a 2:14 half. I thought to myself, 'I can do that.' "Churning through the chill, he reached the finish line in 14:16.14 to establish a college 5,000 meet record that still stands today.

DeHaven, 38, injured his knee in 2003 and has retired from competition - not long after running in the 2000 Olympic marathon at Sydney. He will watch from a coach's perspective tonight as SDSU senior Brad Lowery tries to break the four-minute barrier in the open mile - a special Howard Wood event that DeHaven helped originate.Lowery, who captured 1,500 and 5,000 titles at last week's Drake Relays, is still looking for a signature clocking in Sioux Falls to make his mark on Howard Wood Relays history.

As his coach already knows, the most meaningful moments are worth waiting for.
Working...
X