• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DI Comes to Sioux Falls (Argus Story)

Here is part of Chris Solaries story. The rest can be found at:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...504210315/1001

The Sioux Falls prize

published: 04/21/05

South Dakota State University baseball players (from left) Kyle Knott, Paul Fishback and Jared Huber, along with their teammates, played the University of Minnesota at Sioux Falls Stadium. SDSU and the University of South Dakota have been trying to tap into the Sioux Falls market.
    (stuart villanueva / argus leader)

When the South Dakota State University baseball team burst out of the dugout Wednesday at Sioux Falls Stadium to play the University of Minnesota, it began a new day in the city's athletic scene - and not simply because it was the debut of NCAA Division I sports in Sioux Falls.

More Division I events are on the way, including football and men's basketball games before New Year's, which some say could bring a bump to businesses in the city.

"You're looking at a really historical moment for South Dakota State and Sioux Falls," Mayor Dave Munson said. "People are going to want to go out and see something that has a new beginning."

The Jackrabbits' ascent to the highest level of intercollegiate sports also marks the dawn of a growing competition with three other universities for donors, sponsorships and - most of all - fans in Sioux Falls.

"There is competition for the athlete and for the dollar," USF Athletic Director Willie Sanchez said. "That's one of the things that you see now with South Dakota State trying to market this town."

Division I effect

Those athletic directors admit SDSU's bold move changed the landscape. And the Jackrabbits bringing Division I sports to South Dakota is another step toward their goal of becoming the state's top entertainment option.

"You've got to worry about your agenda, and you've got to do that in a way that you are good partners with other universities," said Fred Oien, SDSU's athletic director. "But at the same time, you've got an obligation to make your university work."

SDSU commissioned Conventions, Sports and Leisure International (CSL) to do a market analysis in 2002, before making the move to Division I. That report indicated that more than 450,000 people live within a 75-mile radius of Brookings - the bulk of them live in Sioux Falls and its nearby bedroom communities.

Oien, who also wants to expand SDSU's presence in Rapid City, has been working with the management at the Sioux Falls venues for baseball, football and basketball to use the facilities at times when other tenants aren't.

The Brookings university, the largest in the state, will play a football game at Howard Wood Field on Oct. 8 against Division I-AA foe California-Davis, then a men's basketball game against Division I Manhattan at the Arena on Dec. 20. The baseball team expects to return to Sioux Falls Stadium next year for games against Kansas and nationally ranked Nebraska.

At Wednesday's game, 1,073 fans showed up on a drizzly, overcast day. The Jackrabbits return to Sioux Falls on Tuesday night to play Creighton University.

SDSU isn't the only school to bring its games to a larger market at the Division I level. Michigan State University played a men's basketball game against Kentucky last year at Ford Field in Detroit, which is about the same distance from Michigan State's campus as SDSU is from Sioux Falls. The universities of Florida and Georgia recently completed a long run of holding their games in Jacksonville, Fla., which is between the schools.

"It's pretty common that people move games around," Oien said. "It's just part of what you do to build and show off for your alumni base and make it a gathering spot for them to come to."

Minnehaha County is SDSU's largest alumni base, with 5,771 graduates living here, according to the school's alumni association.

The CSL report also said SDSU ranks in the mid-to-low range of Division I schools in many categories, including sporting-event spending in the school's primary and secondary markets. That highlights the importance of generating fan support in the Sioux Falls area.

"It's simple marketing to bring our product to Sioux Falls," Oien said. "I think our people in Brookings clearly understand now that by coming to Sioux Falls, we have a chance to have more fans come into Brookings, which will be a benefit to Brookings."

Karla Pfeifer, director of sales for the Ramkota Hotel, said she has already been receiving interest from SDSU and California-Davis for their October game.

Evan Nolte, president of the Sioux Falls Chamber of Commerce, said that type of increase for restaurants and hotels is anticipated with the influx of SDSU events. He said that having Division I sporting events also helps to market and enhance the city's image.

"This kind of sports activity is always positive, especially for a city like Sioux Falls that's growing as a regional city and moving toward the next tier of major cities."

Re: DI Comes to Sioux Falls (Argus Story)

http://www.gojacks.com

Jacks back in Sioux Falls Tuesday

Division I baseball returns to Sioux Falls Stadium Tuesday for the second time in a week as South Dakota State hosts Creighton (Neb.).

First pitch between the Jackrabbits and the Missouri Valley Conference-leading Bluejays is set for 6 p.m. Gates will open at 4:30 p.m. . . .

I came across this story in the Lawrence Journal-World, looks like we are not the only school to move a baseball game to a Northern League Stadium.

http://www.ljworld.com/section/kusports/story/203012

A minor excursion
    College tournament at T-Bones' ballpark finally reality

By Ryan Wood, Journal-World Sports Reporter

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Like many ideas, the thought of the Kansas University baseball team playing at CommunityAmerica Ballpark, home of the Kansas City T-Bones, took years to develop.

In this case, KU coach Ritch Price and T-Bones manager "Dirty" Al Gallagher met at a KU early season practice in 2003, around the time the T-Bones' new stadium opened.

There, the small talk became a big idea.

"The coaching staff and I took him to lunch," Price said on his weekly radio show Monday, "and one of things he talked about was wanting to help us."

Price was interested, and what came of it was the inaugural Best of the Midwest Tournament, which starts today at CommunityAmerica in Kansas City, Kan.

KU (25-20) will play at 7 tonight against New Mexico State, then conclude the two-day tourney with a noon game Wednesday against Sacramento State.

Kansas State also will play at CommunityAmerica, at 2 p.m. today and 7 p.m. Wednesday. . . .

Go State! ;D

Comment

Re: DI Comes to Sioux Falls (Argus Story)

This is part of an article in the Brookings Register online:
      http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...24&page=25

SDSU athletic teams still in search of conference home
      BY MIKE JOHNSON

Jacks in Sioux Falls? ... Rapid City?
      With the transition to Division I play comes games featuring SDSU at sites other than Brookings. The baseball team, for instance, has played twice in Sioux Falls, against the University of Minnesota and Creighton.
      Head baseball coach Reggie Christiansen said he enjoyed the move to Sioux Falls.
      "It a nice chance for our players to play on a pro field," he said. "We feel comfortable here, and it's a nice opportunity for the guys."
      The football team is also scheduled to play a game at Howard Wood Field in Sioux Falls this coming season.
      Oien said there were two main reasons for playing games in other parts of the state.
      "One, we're South Dakota State University, so our constituent base is border-to-border," Oien said. "Brookings is extremely good to us but there was a need to get to our alumni bases, as well as do what a lot of schools are already doing, to take the show on the road and expose your product to a new market, with the intention that that helps us draw more people to our home venue."
      Another big reason for the moves to Sioux Falls is that schools such as Minnesota and Creighton would not have come to Brookings to play, because in only the first year of Division I play, the Jackrabbit program is simply too young.
      Oien mentioned a number of Division I programs that are already playing games in other parts of their respective states.
      "It's something we've really researched," Oien said noting that Georgia and Florida play their football game in Jacksonville, Arkansas plays football games twice in Little Rock, Ark., and Mississippi State plays a game in Jackson, Miss., and that the University of Illinois plays several games in Chicago, Ill.
      Oien also said that those who worry about games played outside of Brookings need not worry.
      "We will never wholesale take our whole schedule out, a majority of the schedule out. It's going to be one, two events at the maximum that would ever leave Brookings."
      Along with Sioux Falls, Oien said that he has had discussions with Rapid City as well.
      "We just had brief conversations with our coaches, our coaches have talked to schools to see if they have interest in playing at a neutral site," he said.
      Oien said that taking games on the road as other Division I programs have done for years, gives the university a chance to showcase its program to other venues.
      "Now we can get people to come to Brookings that may not have ever showed up at an SDSU game," he said. "When people see the level of play and the competition, they're going to like the product and they're going to want to see more of it, with an end result of seeing more people in Brookings."
      As for future plans, Oien said the SDSU basketball team will host Manhattan in Sioux Falls next season, tentatively scheduled for December 20.
      Oien added that one concern he has had centered on how the student body would respond to the change.
      "We're trying to choose dates that don't impact the student body at South Dakota State," he said. "Because they are ticket buyers through their student fee."
      He also said that the University is trying to make arrangements to bus students back and forth trying to make arrangements for bussing students back and forth from Sioux Falls for the football game on Oct. 8.
      Above all else, Oien said that moving games was to expose the university to areas that contain dense alumni population.
      "It's to show the product, but also to send a message that we're serious about being South Dakota State, coast to coast."
      We...ARE...STATE!
      SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Working...
      X