• Argus Story "Racing without titles" Part II

Racing without titles
    SDSU athletes miss out on postseason opportunities

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...505140339/1002

Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com

Published: 05/14/05 2:19 am

(continued from part I)

Tim Boldt, an All-American wrestler while at SDSU in 2003, decided that he wanted to go after a Division II title and transferred to Augustana last fall. But Boldt's choice wasn't easy, and the short-term effects were difficult.

He didn't officially decide to attend Augustana until late summer. On top of adjusting to a new school - which he admits was like being a freshman again - Boldt didn't have housing set up, so he stayed on teammates' couches the first few weeks of the fall semester. His tuition also skyrocketed in going from a public university to a private college."I'm not going to lie to you - I was pissed off about (SDSU moving to Division I) for a while," the junior from Arlington said. "I think it might be good for them in the future, I don't know. But it really puts athletes in a very hard position to either stay or go."

Moeller, who spent his first four years at SDSU, picked his path right after the school year ended in 2004. MSU began the season 17-1 and earned a No. 1 ranking, but the Mavericks eventually finished third in the North Central Conference. Their quest for a national title ended in the Division II North Central Regional semifinals."It was very difficult," Moeller said of his decision. "I started thinking about the next year and visualizing what I was going to be doing. It came down to me making that decision on my own."

Boldt earned runner-up honors in the 197-pound division of the D-II nationals in March. His Vikings finished second as a team, and he'll return this fall for a final attempt at his elusive crown.

"You want to have that drive to compete at the end - you want to be that national champ," Boldt said. "It's one of the hardest decisions I've made in my life, When I came to college, I just wanted to be an All-American. Well, I did that my freshman year, so you automatically want to become a national champion."There were things that Moeller feels he missed out on by leaving SDSU, such as playing in Division I arenas and getting to travel.

"But that was the decision I had to make between the two," he said.
    Others enjoy transition

After the women's basketball team went to a third straight Division II Elite Eight in 2004, plenty of rumors swirled that standout Megan Vogel would leave the Jackrabbits.

Instead, Vogel stayed, and SDSU went 21-7 this past winter. Included were the athletic department's biggest Division I victories against teams like Kentucky, Alabama, Oklahoma State and NCAA Tournament qualifier Middle Tennessee State."Even though we didn't get to go to the tournament, with the places we went and some of the wins we had, it felt as big as Elite Eight games," said Vogel, who will return this fall for her junior season.

SDSU wrestling coach Jason Liles, who was in Omaha to watch his former pupil Boldt, said only two wrestlers, including Boldt, left the program over the Division I move. One reason might have been an NCAA waiver, which will allow the Jackrabbits' wrestling and volleyball teams to compete for Division I championships in the 2006-07 school year.

"There are more opportunities for them now," Liles said. "Not only with the trips we take compared to other programs, but for the level of competition and the opportunity for scholarship dollars. Those are all new things."Cody Nehl, a junior wrestler from Watauga, said not getting to compete for postseason championships was a bit disappointing and that added travel was somewhat grueling. But on the whole, he enjoyed the Division I experience.

"The thought (of transferring) crossed my mind," Nehl admitted. "But I was pretty set here because I knew everyone, I fit in and it's a great program. I'm almost done with school and I knew all my professors - all that little stuff that takes time to build up."Vogel, recalling the shocked faces of some of the eight Division I teams the Jacks beat this year, has already turned her sights toward next season. With another good showing, her squad can earn a berth in the Women's National Invitation Tournament, which is not sponsored by the NCAA.

Any trepidation she previously harbored about Division I has long since faded.

"I'm definitely glad I stuck around. And if I wasn't glad, I'd probably be thinking about leaving right now, which I'm not," she said. "At the beginning of last year, I felt like I'd take whatever comes and see how it goes, but it was awesome. So unbelievable."Reach Chris Solari at 977-3923.

Working...
X