Clear All

• Argus Story "Racing without titles" Part I

Racing without titles
    SDSU athletes miss out on postseason opportunities

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...505140339/1002

Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com

Published: 05/14/05 2:19 am

South Dakota State University distance runner Brad Lowery had the best mile run in state history at the Howard Wood Dakota Relays last weekend in Sioux Falls. But the senior will be left out of national competition because of restrictions imposed on incoming Division I schools.

Brad Lowery lined up on the Howard Wood track last week and cruised to the best mile run in state history. A week earlier, he posted victories in the 1,500- and 5,000-meter runs at the Drake Relays, setting a new school record in the latter.

In the waning days of his collegiate career, stopwatches have become Lowery's primary conquest. South Dakota State's move to Division I ended Jackrabbit athletes' chances to compete for national championships for a while.

"The goals have been a little redefined this year," said Lowery, who will compete at the nine-team D-I Independent Championships starting today in Davis, Calif.SDSU has been recruiting athletes in recent years with the thought of Division I firmly planted in their minds. However, the ones who were already on campus when the school made the move official were left in limbo. The lure of competing at the highest level of intercollegiate athletics kept many around, while others left the school to continue their pursuit of glory and titles.

"I have no regrets," said Andy Moeller, who left the Jackrabbit men's basketball team to play his senior year at Minnesota State-Mankato. "I do feel bad, but there are no hard feelings against the coaching staff at SDSU. It was more a decision about playing my senior year for something I had been trying to do my whole college career."Shortly after school officials announced in the fall of 2003 that SDSU would leave Division II the following year, then-track and cross country coach Paul Danger drove to Pierre to meet with Lowery.

Danger suggested that Lowery could transfer to a Division I or II school to continue his career, and the coach would support him. Lowery wanted to wait at least until after that cross country season to decide.

"After cross country season, I realized I only had two years of school left," Lowery recalled. "I thought if I transferred somewhere, that would extend it to three years. SDSU had been great to me, so I didn't want to go anywhere else."Danger announced his resignation that following summer. That had Lowery contemplating where to go, until Danger said that former Olympic marathon runner Rod DeHaven would take over at SDSU.

DeHaven, who won Division II titles in track and cross country, said Lowery could have been an All-American at the Division I level if he had transferred or was allowed to compete in postseason meets this season. The majority of SDSU athletes won't be able to participate for NCAA Championships at the D-I level until 2008-09."He's hit (D-I) regional qualifiers," DeHaven said, "and he's being penalized that we're not through our transition."

Still, the senior from Pierre has plenty to look forward to until his December graduation. There's the Independent meet this weekend, which compares to a conference meet. Plus, Lowery has a chance to qualify for the USA Outdoor Championships, which will be held in June in Carson, Calif. And after redshirting this season in cross country, he will wrap up his career in the fall.

But the only thing he's running for now is the record book."I've enjoyed my decision," Lowery said. "I wouldn't change it."
    Leaving for a title shot

Re: Argus Story "Racing without titles"

Here's a link to the first-day results from the D-1 Independents meet at UC-Davis:

http://ucdavisaggies.collegesports.c...5/results.html

Chris Solari's article may give some the impression there is nothing to compete for....wrong. State's athletes cannot compete for a N Central Conference title or an NCAA title. But, watch for the final results from the D1 Independents Championships late tomorrow and then compare the times to the NCC meet.

State's athletes are competing in big-time competition for very real titles. Fortunately, in the track and field world, one may compare times and, although weather conditions may have a dramatic effect on results, you can make somewhat of an "apples to apples" comparison of meet results.

Comment

JackJD:

Thanks for pointing us to the update of results from this track meet. In the preliminaries, how many top places go on to the final event? First 5? First 10? First 15?. Considering Dehaven is rebuilding, SDSU did not do too bad, and we should get more points in the finals depending on how many qualify.

I agree with your comment about Chris Solari's article. I do like Chris though, but also realize he has a boss who no doubt gave him this assignment. Between " not finding a conference" and "no NC's to compete for", the naysayers are running out of talking points as these two points seem to be the only ones left

Comment

Complete results of first days events

Go to......

http://ucdavisaggies.collegesports.c...5/results.html

Looks to me like we've got a couple of titles already!

Comment

SDSUFAN:

I cannot state exactly how one advances to the finals in all the races...there may be some variations. But, generally, its being scored like a typical confernce meet. The preliminary heats in the meet are evenly divided (as opposed to having a slow heat, the next slowest heat and then a third heat with the best runners in it). If you have a three-heat prelim, the top two finishers in each heat and then the top two fastest times of runners who didn't finish in the top two in their heat. That accounts for strategy races in which the pace is slow because everyone is jockying for position and no one will take the lead etc.

Example: In the 800 men's race, four finalists came from one heat...that heat had the fastest time.

In the men's 1500, due to drops etc., they canceled the prelims and will have an 11-member finals. Brad Lowery and Scott Roby will be running that race at 11:15 California time. Lowery then comes back in the 5000 (that's a tough double but he has a great shot at winning both) and Roby comes back in the 800 finals.

Top 8 score points.

NDSU is looking real good in the meet.

Comment

I didn't mean to be critical of Solari's article. In fact, I think it was a good one and he is a good writer covering interesting and important developments at SDSU.

My angle is just a little different from his. Track and field performances, unlike most sporting activities, can be compared from one meet to the next. Sure, there are factors that make exact comparisons impossible (weather, elevation, the competition) but generally we can appreciate a :10.4 100m dash irrespective of where and when it's run.

So, for track and field athletes, "personal bests" or "personal records" are always the goal. A National DII title is a great accomplishment. But, so is winning a National D1 Independents race.

So, we are competing for titles.

Comment

JackJD:

I fully concur on your points regarding track, but the mention of Andy Moeller and Bolt the wrestler tends to make me wonder: " What was the purpose of this entire article?" To me it seems too reinforce the negatives of SDSU going D1.  I suppose the flip side to this is that only two athletes left because of going D1 and there could have been more. I was impressed with Brad Lowery's comments and his feelings about SDSU.

Baseball and track, having new coaches seem to be headed in the right direction. This gives me a great deal of hope.

Comment

Working...
              X