• Greg Geary Claims Six Records at SDSU

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...01/1002/SPORTS

Senior has six records
    With homers mark, Geary in new class

Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com

Published: 05/19/05

RECORD BOOK ASSAULT
    SDSU senior Greg Geary has set six records on the school's baseball team.
    Hits: 1st, 249.
    Doubles: 1st, 53.
    Home runs: 1st, 43.
    Total bases: 1st, 431.
    Putouts: 1st, 1,309.
    at-bats: 1st, 677.

RBI: 2nd, 184 (Billy McMacken holds record of 202.
    What's next
    Baseball: Saturday and Sunday at Independent Invitational, Greeley, Colo.
    Stan Marshall Scholarship Auction-Golf Classic: June 3-4 in Brookings.

Mere statistics can't measure Greg Geary's approach to baseball - his workmanlike habits, his zeal for the game, his sweet swing and natural hitting ability.

Then again, the South Dakota State star's record-breaking numbers do give at least a glimpse into his pure talent.

Geary added the school's all-time home run mark last week when he drilled the 43rd longball of his Jackrabbit career. It is the sixth SDSU record the senior first baseman has broken this spring.

"He's just real aggressive," SDSU coach Reggie Christiansen said. "He does a real good job hitting the breaking ball. He can hit the fastball, and he's a good guy in RBI situations. Just like a lot of guys, he's gotten better playing a better caliber of baseball."

A 6-foot-3, 200-pound product of the Rapid City Post 22 American Legion powerhouse, Geary was hitting .319 with 10 homers and 49 RBIs entering Wednesday's game at Kansas State. Most impressively, he has erased many long-standing school records against a healthy dose of Division I talent.

Geary is the SDSU leader in hits (249), doubles (53), total bases (431), putouts (1,309) and at-bats (677). However, breaking Jackrabbit legend Billy McMacken's home run mark stands as his biggest accomplishment.

McMacken, who played from 1987-90, still lives in Brookings and has played amateur ball alongside Geary. He has been one of Geary's biggest supporter, e-mailing the first baseman after his record-breaking homer on Friday at Southern Illinois.

"When I got the hits record, I thought it was the most important," Geary said. "But since I got the home run record, that's meant a lot."

As one of the few seniors on a team filled underclassmen, Geary has led by example with his bat.

"He's not a real vocal guy. He comes to the park every day," Christiansen said. "You know you'll get the same effort every day, and that's big for the younger guys."

Geary will close his career and the SDSU season at the Division I Independent Invitational this weekend at Northern Colorado. After that, he hopes to catch the eyes of some scouts and work toward every player's dream - the major leagues.

"That's my goal," he said. "Hopefully, I'll get picked up by somebody and go from there."

Dauer finishes in style

Sheena Dauer, the women's track team's lone senior, was rewarded for sticking around through the school's move to Division I.

Dauer, a native of Springfield, Minn., earned Co-Athlete of the Meet honors last weekend at the Division I Independent Track and Field Championships in Davis, Calif.

Also a cross country runner, Dauer won the 5,000- and 10,000-meter runs at the season-ending event, sharing the award for the top female participant with North Dakota State's Nicole Rieck.

"I was completely surprised. I didn't even know they presented an award like that," Dauer said. "When they said my name, I was just flabbergasted."

Stress fractures have plagued Dauer's career, including her final cross country season. In her first year of graduate school for exercise science, she worked out some new training regimens with first-year coach Rod DeHaven to help minimize the injuries, and it paid off in personal-best times.

"When Rod came in, he said, 'What do you want to do?' I said I wanted to make it through the entire year without sitting on the sidelines," Dauer said. "Rod opened my eyes to patience - not pounding my body and focusing on my quality of training."

Stan Marshall Auction

The 25th Annual Stan Marshall Scholarship Auction and Golf Classic will be held June 3-4 in Brookings. All proceeds from the auction benefit student-athlete scholarships at SDSU.

Tickets for the auction are $30 in advance. For information, call the SDSU ticket office at 1-866-465-2257. For a complete list of auction items, log on to www.gojacks.com and click on the Stan Marshall Auction link.

The weekend kicks off that Friday with the social and auction, which starts at 6 p.m. at the Swiftel Center. The golf classic, which features both morning and afternoon flights, will be played the following day at Brookings Country Club.

Reach Chris Solari at 977-3923.

Re: Mark Geary Claims Six Records at SDSU

Originally posted by JBNJBQ
    http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050519/SPORTS0202/505190301/1002/SPORTS

Senior has six records
    With homers mark, Geary in new class

Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com

RECORD BOOK ASSAULT

What's next

Mere statistics can't measure Greg Geary's approach to baseball - his workmanlike habits, his zeal for the game, his sweet swing and natural hitting ability.

Then again, the South Dakota State star's record-breaking numbers do give at least a glimpse into his pure talent.

Geary added the school's all-time home run mark last week when he drilled the 43rd longball of his Jackrabbit career. It is the sixth SDSU record the senior first baseman has broken this spring.

"He's just real aggressive," SDSU coach Reggie Christiansen said. "He does a real good job hitting the breaking ball. He can hit the fastball, and he's a good guy in RBI situations. Just like a lot of guys, he's gotten better playing a better caliber of baseball."

A 6-foot-3, 200-pound product of the Rapid City Post 22 American Legion powerhouse, Geary was hitting .319 with 10 homers and 49 RBIs entering Wednesday's game at Kansas State. Most impressively, he has erased many long-standing school records against a healthy dose of Division I talent.

Geary is the SDSU leader in hits (249), doubles (53), total bases (431), putouts (1,309) and at-bats (677). However, breaking Jackrabbit legend Billy McMacken's home run mark stands as his biggest accomplishment.

McMacken, who played from 1987-90, still lives in Brookings and has played amateur ball alongside Geary. He has been one of Geary's biggest supporter, e-mailing the first baseman after his record-breaking homer on Friday at Southern Illinois.

"When I got the hits record, I thought it was the most important," Geary said. "But since I got the home run record, that's meant a lot."

As one of the few seniors on a team filled underclassmen, Geary has led by example with his bat.

"He's not a real vocal guy. He comes to the park every day," Christiansen said. "You know you'll get the same effort every day, and that's big for the younger guys."

Geary will close his career and the SDSU season at the Division I Independent Invitational this weekend at Northern Colorado. After that, he hopes to catch the eyes of some scouts and work toward every player's dream - the major leagues.

"That's my goal," he said. "Hopefully, I'll get picked up by somebody and go from there."

Dauer finishes in style

Sheena Dauer, the women's track team's lone senior, was rewarded for sticking around through the school's move to Division I.

Dauer, a native of Springfield, Minn., earned Co-Athlete of the Meet honors last weekend at the Division I Independent Track and Field Championships in Davis, Calif.

Also a cross country runner, Dauer won the 5,000- and 10,000-meter runs at the season-ending event, sharing the award for the top female participant with North Dakota State's Nicole Rieck.

"I was completely surprised. I didn't even know they presented an award like that," Dauer said. "When they said my name, I was just flabbergasted."

Stress fractures have plagued Dauer's career, including her final cross country season. In her first year of graduate school for exercise science, she worked out some new training regimens with first-year coach Rod DeHaven to help minimize the injuries, and it paid off in personal-best times.

"When Rod came in, he said, 'What do you want to do?' I said I wanted to make it through the entire year without sitting on the sidelines," Dauer said. "Rod opened my eyes to patience - not pounding my body and focusing on my quality of training."

Stan Marshall Auction

The 25th Annual Stan Marshall Scholarship Auction and Golf Classic will be held June 3-4 in Brookings. All proceeds from the auction benefit student-athlete scholarships at SDSU.

Tickets for the auction are $30 in advance. For information, call the SDSU ticket office at 1-866-465-2257. For a complete list of auction items, log on to www.gojacks.com and click on the Stan Marshall Auction link.

The weekend kicks off that Friday with the social and auction, which starts at 6 p.m. at the Swiftel Center. The golf classic, which features both morning and afternoon flights, will be played the following day at Brookings Country Club.

You mean Greg Geary right?
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Re: Greg Geary Claims Six Records at SDSU

Originally posted by JBNJBQ
      http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050519/SPORTS0202/505190301/1002/SPORTS

Senior has six records
      With homers [glb]mark, Geary[/glb]in new class

Chris Solari
      csolari@argusleader.com

RECORD BOOK ASSAULT

What's next

Dauer finishes in style

Stan Marshall Auction

OOPS! I was typing too fast and didn't notice the error!  Thanks for correcting me, jackrabbit79.

My apologies to a really great baseball player! Greg Geary!  

Comment

Working...
      X