• Show
Clear All

• Argus Story 6/02/05 "DI ups and downs"

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...34/1002/SPORTS

D-I ups and downs
    CHRIS SOLARI
    csolari@argusleader.com

Published: 06/2/05

Leaving the comfort of the North Central Conference, South Dakota State's leap to Division I cemented the 2004-05 school year into the history books.

In becoming the state's first Division I university, SDSU was forced to sit out postseason play due to NCAA restrictions on schools that change divisions.

Still, there were plenty of success stories that made the Jackrabbits and their fans proud.

Top moments Division I debut

SDSU found its share of promise and pitfalls with the jump to the NCAA's highest level (and second-highest in football).

Women's teams led the way. The soccer squad was the first to play a Division I game. The volleyball and women's basketball teams experienced the most D-I success, while the softball team had its first winning record in eight years.

On the men's side, the Jackrabbit football team went 6-5, with a strong showing at the Division I-AA level by beating perennial power Southern (La.). The basketball team, however, failed to duplicate its Division II success. The Jacks were just 10-18, their worst season since 1989-90, and won just one D-I game.

Scheduling in the first year was challenging, yet fruitful. Big-name schools such as Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Kentucky and Southern California dotted schedules in various sports. Next year, most sports will participate against mainly Division I schools.

Lowery's dominance

Senior Brad Lowery redshirted in cross country in the fall. But when he dusted off the running shoes for track season, he didn't miss a step.

The distance runner from Pierre won two events at the prestigious Drake Relays, including a school record performance in the 5,000 meters. A week later, he narrowly missed a four-minute mile at the Howard Wood Dakota Relays. Then, in late May, his 1,500 victory at the NCAA Division I Independent track meet in Davis, Calif., landed him in Sports Illustrated's Faces in the Crowd.

Though he can't compete for national collegiate titles while SDSU is in transition to D-I, Lowery will return this fall for his final cross country season. He also will attempt to qualify for the USA Outdoor Championships in late June.

Women's hoop success

With the growing popularity of women's basketball around the country, the Jackrabbits (21-7) turned heads as a first-year D-I program by recording their fourth straight 20-win season.

Victories over Kentucky, Alabama and Oklahoma State were important because of name recognition. But SDSU also defeated NCAA tournament qualifier Middle Tennessee State - and the women were impressive in close losses at traditional powers USC and Purdue.

Senior Shannon Schlagel broke the school record for scoring and finished her career as the Jacks' second all-time leading rebounder.

Looking ahead Basketball opponents

The University of Alabama's women will visit Frost Arena in Brookings in 2005-06, as will Middle Tennessee State. So will Wisconsin-Milwaukee's men, who made it to the second round of the NCAA tournament in March.

The Jackrabbit men open their season at NCAA runner-up Illinois, and there should be more major conference road games announced soon (perhaps Minnesota). Both SDSU teams also will be eligible for spots in the postseason National Invitation Tournament.

More events in Sioux Falls

Football in October at Howard Wood Field against Cal-Davis. Men's hoops at the Arena against Manhattan. Baseball at Sioux Falls Stadium against Kansas and Nebraska. This is meant to generate interest and revenue in the SDSU program in the state's largest city.

Conference hunt

The ongoing search may end this year - or not. Regardless, the most important issue of the immediate future - finding a home for its athletic programs - is out of SDSU's hands, as evidenced by the Big Sky's decision to expand with Northern Colorado.

Reach Chris Solari at 977-3923

Working...
X