Argus Editorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Argus Editorial

I think when people are talking about negotiations we are talking about with other schools, at least that is what I ment.  SDSU is filling out the rest of our schedule and Minnesota is filling out the rest of theirs and perhaps it would hamper one or the other, or maybe both, for the exact payment to be revealed while still in negotiations with other schools.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

If I recall correctly, the only remaning variables in our schedule are the dates of the Central Florida and Marquette games. With those, I think we have all of the allowable 28 games penciled in.

Now, it's always possible that a game we have on our schedule will get moved or bought out by a better offer (i.e. hypothetically, our date with Marquette getting bumped because ESPN wants to carry a UWM-Marquette game on the same date). So we get to wait until everyone else pretty much has their schedule set before we can really plan ours.

Such is the life of a D-I independent. We didn't used to have to worry about schedule changes due to TV in the Days Before D-I.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Re:  Argus Editorial

Originally posted by filbert
        Texas_Jacks_Fan:  If SDSU wants to release the amount they will, if they don't, they wont. End of story.

If this were a controversy, it should first have been reported in the news pages and SDSU been allowed to respond.  Other sources (i.e. the Minnesota athletic department) should have been sought out.  To my knowledge, this was not done.  
        Exactly. If this 'refusal' to release information was such a big deal, write a news story about it. If it is an ongoing problem, keep track for a while, then write a story. Then you can editorialize about it.

As I said, I'm an uncompromising advocate of openness, and I think it's the best public relations strategy. From a journalism perspective, though, if you're going to bash somebody for not being forthcoming, you need to go through all the hoops first. I ran this past a colleague of mine at OU who has 20 years as a top editor at several major newspapers (hundreds of thousands of subscribers, vs. the Argus with its 60,000). He agreed that there is a progression that needs to be followed in this kind of case: Ask for the information. Ask again. Ask in writing. Ask one more time. Write a story about the asking and the answer. THEN editorialize about it if you don't get the information.

Apparently they jumped from asking to editorializing here without any of the intervening steps.

Comment

There is'nt a complete cloud of secrecy on this matter. When I was back for the Stan Marshall I recall hearing on TV or Radio, that the deal with the Gophers was paying us a higher guarantee than what NDSU got. This makes sense since SDSU is a more attractive basketball series to the Gophers than what NDSU is. I think in  future football games vs Minnesota this would be reversed and NDSU's guarantee would be higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
            There is'nt a complete cloud of secrecy on this matter. When I was back for the Stan Marshall I recall hearing on TV or Radio, that the deal with the Gophers was paying us a higher guarantee than what NDSU got. This makes sense since SDSU is a more attractive basketball series to the Gophers than what NDSU is. I think in future football games vs Minnesota this would be reversed and NDSU's guarantee would be higher.
            This would make a lot of sense, and would also indicate that the SDSU-NDSU partnership is actually fairly strong. SDSU doesn't want NDSU to look bad. I'm sure the two schools are sharing as much information as possible to make the transition as painless as they can.

Now that would be a good story. Maybe the Forum will pick up on it
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

My sources tell me that when Fred was asked, they were still wrapping up the last details of the contract with Minnesota. They were ready to announce it, but didn't have the small things completely ironed out. That would explain a lot, and would suggest the Argus really jumped the gun on this thing.

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
                My sources tell me that when Fred was asked, they were still wrapping up the last  details of the contract with Minnesota. They were ready to announce it, but didn't have the small things completely ironed out. That would explain a lot, and would suggest the Argus really jumped the gun on this thing.
                Does it suprise anyone that the Argus would jump at the opportunity to a shot at SDSU? Maybe Randall Beck can take a few of OkRabbit's journalism classes this year

Comment

Fred is a better negotiator and administrator than the Argus will him give credit for. We know it and thats all that matters to me.

Ok Rabbit, thanks for sharing what your sources have told you. I hope the Argus staff takes time to read this thread. I am sure they are not about to start pouring barrels of ink overboard on this matter nor are they going to retrack their editorial.

The last thing Fred should do is to issue a press release disclosing the amount of the guarentee. He would be smart to make the Argus work for their information.

Comment

Working...
                  X