Road Signage/ Art work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Signage/ Art work

I know it is easy coming up with ideas when you spend other people’s money, but I saw this over on www.Ramnation.com (Colorado State University) and I thought SDSU could design some of these. Just in case there was any miscommunication on the team the South Dakota cheers for.

http://www.ramnation.com/images/ramsign_complete.jpg
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Re: Road Signage/ Art work

I like the CSU marker. I would suggest passing it on to the SDSU Administration for consideration. Something less elborate could probably be put up. To have four of these signs put up inside the boarders on I 90 and I -29 would help to promote that concept that SDSU has a statewide following in all 68 counties as well in all 50 states and abroad.

I would think that the CSU marker is more labor intensive and the cost of the materials is probably the lesser of the two.

Comment

One sign should be placed just out side the city limits of Vermillion, SD!! ;D
      We...ARE...STATE!
      SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

More realistically I could see them added on Interstate 29 from the north and south as you enter Brookings County.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
          More realistically I could see them added on Interstate 29 from the north and south as you enter Brookings County.
          I do like SDSUFANs idea of placing them on the borders of I29and I90, but having them on I29 as you enter Brookings county would be more realistic.

Another option would be to install one outside the Sioux Falls airport, so when teams fly in the first thing they see is a sign welcoming them to Jackrabbitt country. 8)

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
            That would help those passing through on I-29 to look for the campus etc, but I think we need to promote throughout  the entire state.

Signs and markers are needed in many places. I grew up in Brookings so have nothing but praise for the campus and communitity. I think we need to broaden our horizons beyond Brookings County. If there is anything that burns me is to here some older person in another part of the state of South Dakota refer to SDSU as the"Brookings College."

I think our promotion should be stepped up especially Sioux Falls not only for athletics but academics as well.  Our "You can go anywhere from SDSU" signs in the Empire Mall probably have been the most effective so far, but there needs to be some money budgeted for promotion and it should be done very carefully and effectively.

Comment

Question to all ???

Does anyone out there know why buildings signs and other signage on SDSU's campus is accented in Brown? I have been on campus recently and it was something that just sticks out to me. Anyway I know it has been that way back in my days on campus in 1994-1998 and probably long before that. But now that I am back visiting it puzzles me. Brown is not very exciting or flattering at all.
              We...ARE...STATE!
              SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by D-town
                Question to all ???

Does anyone out there know why buildings signs and other signage on SDSU's campus is accented in Brown?  I have been on campus recently and it was something that just sticks out to me.  Anyway I know it has been that way back in my days on campus in 1994-1998 and probably long before that.  But now that I am back visiting it puzzles me.   Brown is not very exciting or flattering at all.
                Could it have something to do with it being a state supported school??

Comment

Maybe it's some sober, educational institution thing. OU has brown signs, too. As I recall, Purdue and Iowa, my previous two stops also had brown signage.

Comment

Originally posted by D-town
                    Question to all ???

Does anyone out there know why buildings signs and other signage on SDSU's campus is accented in Brown?  I have been on campus recently and it was something that just sticks out to me.  Anyway I know it has been that way back in my days on campus in 1994-1998 and probably long before that.  But now that I am back visiting it puzzles me.   Brown is not very exciting or flattering at all.

Maybe a few months before SDSU announced the decision to move to D1, I happen to be near Troy Alabama, which is smaller than Brookings, I took a self led tour of the campus of Troy U.  I had my camera handy as I was very curious to see what sort of facilites for athletics they had.  Among the football and baseball facilities which out rank SDSU, I also got to tour the basketball facility which is not as nice as Frost. One thing on campus that impressed me was the the red and black banners and how even the religious buildings such as Catholic and Methodist and of course Baptist facilities had signs that were red and black. Even some signs were trimmed in red and black, the Troy U colors.

I even took pictures of the facilities.I then sent all my pictures to Fred Oien for him to see.  A short time after I talked to Fred and asked if he got those sloppy pictures. (I say sloppy since I cant hold a camera still).  Fred said yes he really appreciated receiving them. He told me he took them to staff meetings and showed them what Troy was doing.

BTW Troy U now D1A was just a JUCO started by Governor Wallace in the early 1970's. Also they are roughly 60 miles from Montegomery.

The next time I visted SDSU, I noticed  new banners blue and yellow banners on each light post on campus.

Whether these banners were already in the works, or whether my pictures had that impact, I am not sure.

This why I think we need to pass on ideas that we see elsewhere as right now I sure there are very open to new ideas and suggestions.

Chuck Cecil in one of his recent columns in The Brookings Register recalled how Stan Marshall when on a athletic trip to Lincoln Nebraska managed to get in Memorial Staduim and rummaged through the garbage to find a game football program, hoping there might be a new idea that he could put in use at SDSU.  I think adminstration has learned a great deal from Stan and that is why I suggest that we pass on ideas to the adminstration. I know for a fact, Fred Oien likes to hear about new ideas and I am sure he is in dialogue with campus people who can implement ideas like those brought up in this thread. That is why I dont think we should not sit on them but rather pass them on.  I think the administration in general appreciates hearing from alums and hearing their ideas.

Finally, the brown signs? I have no idea, but certainly to suggest a change would be one great idea. ;D

Comment

SDSUFAN

Thanks for the suggestions, I will start taking my camera when I visit campuses. I too enjoy walking through them. I will also send them to Dr. Oien. I remember a visit to Ohio University and many of the buildings were accented in Green or had Green roofs. Green and White are the school colors and I thought the Green accents showed school pride and a nice touch.

The past few years at the University of Northern Colorado the light poles, signage, flag poles and some of the benches on campus were painted to a navy blue that was supposed unify the campus better. The also started to paint hand-railings outside some of the buildings gold. They have also added some really nice signs outside campus buildings that even light up at night and really help campus come alive. I also know that Nottingham Field is accented with Navy Blue and with the Renovations to be done at Butler-Hancock Hall I would hope they would unify the athletic faciliities and accent them in Navy Blue. Of course Navy Blue and Gold are Northern Colorado's school colors.

One last thing before I get off my soap box. I was in the SDSU Library bathroom on the main floor and the dividers appeared to be freshly painted and they were red. I hope they do not do that again.
                      We...ARE...STATE!
                      SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Working...
                      X