Message Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Message Boards

I'm not sure anyone had posted this article on message boards that appeared in Sunday's Argus. References material on this board and quotes from 89 rabbit.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...7/1002/ARCHIVE

Re: Message Boards

This was a very good article by Chris. I hope the Argus read the thread about their Sunday editoral. ;D ;D

Comment

It was a thought-provoking article.

My thoughts? It always annoys me when people like that Freedom Forum pinhead try to scare people into silence with their talk of danger and libel online. The fact is there are very, very, very few things you might say on a bulletin board like this that would be actionable. If people in the media won't encourage free expression, who will? (The Freedom Forum is a foundation 'dedicated to free speech' formed by Gannett, the owner of the Argus.) As a journalism educator, the media's lack of attention to the First Amendment really disappoints me. The First Amendment doesn't work unless somebody stands up for it. It is just words on paper until human beings make it real and demonstrate by their words and actions that it is a principle that means something to them.

The fact is there is nothing particularly 'dangerous' about anonymous posting on a fan bulletin board. The only danger is that you might run into an idiot or two with a half-baked opinion. And as the Freedom Forum guy demonstrates, idiots can also be found in the mainstream media.

Comment

The comments about the first amendment are indeed interesting. I am speaking as one who has been permentantly banded from the Argus Forum.  The reason was that I supposely destroyed the character of Josh Mueller. I suggested that since young Mueller displayed a spoiled brat attitude on the basketball court that remained unchecked the entire time he was coached by his father at West Lyons, and that maybe it was a big family problem for Dr Phil to solve. I was told by Corey Beck the moderator that I was guilty of character assisnation.  So much for OBJECTIVITY OF THE ARGUS MODERATOR.  I do wonder what is Corey Beck's relationship to Randell Beck.  None-the-less it's their forum and their rules and as Chris stated there are forums for every sport so the Argus needs me worse than I need them. ;D ;D ;D ;D

I do think if these rumors presist about individual athletes, they need to come part of the forum and set the record straight as Steve Holdren did on this forum.
        I have not seen sports bluff since that time.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
          The comments about the first amendment are indeed interesting. I am speaking as one who has been permentantly banded from the Argus Forum.  The reason was that I supposely destroyed the character of Josh Mueller. I suggested that since young Mueller displayed a spoiled brat attitude on the basketball court that remained unchecked the entire time he was coached by his father at West Lyons, and that maybe it was a big family problem for Dr Phil to solve. I was told by Corey Beck the moderator that I was guilty of character assisnation.  So much for OBJECTIVITY OF THE ARGUS MODERATOR.  I do wonder what is Corey Beck's relationship to Randell Beck.  None-the-less it's their forum and their rules and as Chris stated there are forums for every sport so the Argus needs me worse than I need them. ;D ;D ;D ;D

I do think if these rumors presist about individual athletes, they need to come part of the forum and set the record straight as Steve Holdren did on this forum.
          I have not seen sports bluff since that time.
          SDSUFAN:

I personally know Corey Beck.  He's an SDSU graduate and an avid fan of the Jackrabbits.  To my knowledge, there's no relation to Randall Beck.  I haven't talked with Corey since we golfed together at my brother's bachelor party earlier this year but I do know that your previous comments reached him and I think they were out of line.  He has a family, works his a$$ off for the Argus and does not deserve the attention you're bringing to him.  I think you have to admit you kept pushing the envelope on the Muellar issue over there.  I don't post on that forum, but I do read it and my thoughts were you should have dropped the issue and moved on.  I am not questioning your dedication to SDSU.  In fact, I don't think there's a bigger Jacks fan than you.  But sometimes I think it clouds your judgement.

Sorry about my preaching, it's something I try not to do (especially to fellow Jackrabbit fans).  But when a friends character is challenged, I get a bit frustrated.

Comment

RabbitinVermillion:

I don’t feel I am drawing any more attention to Corey's character than you are now drawing attention to my character by your last post. Yes I regret I even posted over there.

The part that bothered me was I was booted without a warning. The rules that have since been posted over on the Argus were drawn up after I was booted.

You can tell your buddy Corey, that I don’t like the way he treated me. Give me his email in an IM and I will duke it out with him personally.

I don’t know what happen but it was about Easter time and one day, I could no longer post. No explanation, no nothing. I had to email your buddy Corey to find out what happen and then I got this very terse explanation.
            What I actually said escapes me now and since the Argus deleted the thread, there is no way to review what I said and did not say.

If anyone has been pushing the envolpe it has been Mr. Mueller with body language on the court. He brought on the criticism.  Hordes, I am hardly the first nor the last to take a poke at the Mueller legend with his arrogant and spoiled brat behavior.

If a publication such as the Argus makes rules and regulations about posting on the forum, then these things should be made known to everyone at the get go. I did not find out about their rules until after I was booted.

I am not trying to draw attention to Corey Beck, but rather to the manner that I was treated over there and since he is mentioned as the moderator in the article done by Chris Solari, he is hardly above criticism.

As far as Josh Mueller is concerned, his career as an athlete is over and I wish him well.  ;D

I think we need to get back on topic.

Comment

FYI: The Electronic Frontier Foundation has an interesting Web page discussing anonymity and Internet postings:

http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Anonymity/

Highlight:

"Anonymous communications have an important place in our political and social discourse. The Supreme Court has ruled repeatedly that the right to anonymous free speech is protected by the First Amendment. A much-cited 1995 Supreme Court ruling in McIntyre v. Ohio Elections Commission reads: 'Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse. Allowing dissenters to shield their identities frees them to express critical, minority views . . . Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority. . . . It thus exemplifies the purpose behind the Bill of Rights, and of the First Amendment in particular: to protect unpopular individuals from retaliation . . . at the hand of an intolerant society.'"

Comment

I just read that article, I wasn't aware that Joe Green was transfering, was that common knowledge. Maybe I heard it a while ago and forgot it. Where is he going?

Comment

Originally posted by SDsportsFan
                  I just read that article, I wasn't aware that Joe Green was transfering, was that common knowledge.  Maybe I heard it a while ago and forgot it.  Where is he going?
                  Nagy confirms that Green left the team after the semester.

This is what Nagy said. I'm not sure what he is doing. I wonder if Nagy even knows. Reality, it doesn't really matter.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by SDsportsFan
                    I just read that article, I wasn't aware that Joe Green was transfering, was that common knowledge.  Maybe I heard it a while ago and forgot it.  Where is he going?
                    I think the rumor is/was that he will try to walk-on at UNI, Iowa, or Iowa St.

Comment

Working...
                    X