Common starting date for NCAA Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common starting date for NCAA Baseball

I saw this over at the Boyd's World web site (site dedicated to College Baseball) and thought I would pass it along as this will help the Northern Schools compete.

http://www.boydsworld.com/breadcrumb...onals2005.html

Season Dates Changes

What will probably end up being the most significant event of the week didn't actually happen on a field, and those involved did their very best to completely bury the news. In this well-hidden announcement*, we found out that the championship/competition cabinet approved a plan to set a common starting date for the season beginning with the 2007-2008 school year -- in other words, the 2008 season. The announcement also shows a starting date for the 2007 season, but that may be an editing error left over from a previous version, as it's listed as an example.

The plan is for practice to start on February 1, competition to start the last Friday of February, and the CWS to stay with the same dates. The 56-game limit is to be maintained.

The first obvious effect of this is that there are going to be a lot more midweek games. This means either more starting pitchers or more teams going to the actual three-man rotation with decent middle relief I've recommended before. It also means that there will be some class time issues, especially for teams with travel problems.

The opposite side of that coin is that there will be fewer weekends to schedule around -- most years there will be thirteen regular season weekends, which leaves only three for those leagues with ten conference weekends. The teams can go two ways with this; hopefully we see fewer South Carolina-Radford type matchups and don't lose any of the better tournaments or interregional matchups. . . .

*http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/gove...all_Issues.htm

Go State! ;D

Re: Common starting date for NCAA Baseball

I'm surprised nobody commented on this--this is a big deal for northern schools. It's difficult to compete in baseball with the southern colleges unless you put some kind of limit on the starting date to the season.

For instance, this year, Kansas had already played nine games before SDSU played them in the opener. This will reduce the climate advantage of more southerly located schools vs. the northern schools. Good move by the NCAA.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
    X