• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU student gets NASA internship

http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aber...s/11991770.htm

Posted on Sun, Jun. 26, 2005

SDSU student gets NASA internship

Associated Press

BROOKINGS, S.D. - A South Dakota State University senior who is a cadet in the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps has received one of only two eight-week internships available from NASA's Engineering Research Experience program.

"Cadet Joe Schenkel is one of our top cadets," said Lt. Col. Craig Bond, SDSU professor of aerospace studies. "We knew he would compete well for the NERE program in Houston, Texas, this summer, so it was no surprise that out of 144 AFROTC detachments competing, Mr. Schenkel was one of the top two selectees."

Schenkel, an electrical engineering student from Tyndall, has a 4.0 grade-point average in his core engineering classes. He wants to become a military pilot and an astronaut.

"This internship means the world to me," Schenkel said. "It will introduce me to what astronauts do day to day, and I will be able to make some great contacts."

Schenkel said he will work with astronaut and engineer Franklin Chang-Diaz on a rocket that someday could get humans to Mars. "Dr. Chang-Diaz is very respected in the scientific community, and he has been in space seven times, which is more than any other person."

The internship ends Aug. 5.

[glb]"YOU CAN GO ANYWHERE FROM HERE"..... BECOMES A REALITY AGAIN![/glb]

Way to go, Joe!

JBNJBQ
Working...
X