Bill Lindsey Memorial Golf Scramble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Lindsey Memorial Golf Scramble

The Bill Lindsey Memorial Golf Scramble is this Saturday, (June 25, 2005) at Edgebrook Golf Course in Brookings, SD. Money raised go to toward scholarships at SDSU. Sorry, I do not have any additional info at this time. I do know they are not full and looking for more golfers to have some fun. The cost is $40 for non-members at Edgebrook and $19.00 for members. Another great way to have fun while support the Jacks!

There was an article in the 6/21/05 Brookings Register giving some history and was a good read. Hopefully it will be online soon so more people can read about it.
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Re: Bill Lindsey Memorial Golf Scramble

For more info on the Bill Lindsey Memorial Golf Scramble call Ruth Lindsey (605) 692-4675
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Good time, good cause
      Brookings Register
      BY JILL FIER

http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...44&page=23

When Bill Lindsey, a former Brookings resident, HPER maintenance manager on the SDSU campus and avid sports fan, died unexpectedly in 1997, both his friends and family knew they had to do something to honor his memory.
      While his family was thinking about something involving bowling, family friends Larry Hult and Tim DeWitt were thinking of something to do with golf.
      Lindsey was active in both sports, but golf won the vote, and the Bill Lindsey Memorial Golf Scramble began in September 1997.
      This Saturday will mark the ninth year the tournament has been held out at Edgebrook Golf Course to honor Lindsey and to raise money to benefit the SDSU Athletic Scholarship fund.
      The Lindsey family has had a strong presence in Brookings since 1961, when they moved here after Lindsey served for the U.S. Army in Germany for three years.
      After working with the ROTC on campus until 1970, he transferred to the HPER center, where he worked until he retired in 1994.
      Lindsey’s wife, Ruth, said Bill didn’t become interested in golf until after they moved to the Brookings area, but once he did start to play, he loved it as much as he did any other sport he was interested in.
      He has two plaques at Edgebrook to commemorate each hole-in-one he sank there years ago, and he was even out on a golf course having fun the morning of the day he died.
      Ruth said the golf tournament isn’t about the competition, but rather having a good time, which was what was important to Bill when he was out on the course.
      “He wasn’t one of those blood and guts people that had to do good. He could just go out and have a ball. Sure, he wanted to do well, but it didn’t have to. Oh, yes. He loved football, basketball, about anything that you can mention in sports.”
      DeWitt met Lindsey through his son, Scott, when they were on the same Little League team coached by Lindsey, and Lindsey also became DeWitt’s basketball coach in the ’60s.
      Many of the people who worked at SDSU with Lindsey are still there today, and remember him fondly, DeWitt said.
      In his position, Lindsey would set up and take down for games, as well as taking care of all the outdoor sports fields on campus. He interacted with student athletes and anyone else who worked in the athletics department during his 23 years on the job.
      DeWitt said, “He just loved it immensely, and a lot of people remember Bill, especially the athletes, because at the time Bill was working here the athletes had to work a lot. So they had to be under Bill when he was working, and it was just the athletes loved him and the people he worked with did too.”
      Ruth agreed and said her husband would be honored by all the friends and family who come out every year to golf in his memory.
      “He played surrogate father and grandfather to the students. He really did, and he had how many hundreds of athletes go through there every year. ... He would be so proud. A lot of people liked him, and former students and friends and coaches and family come back to golf. And we always joke that we put him in charge of weather and he hasn’t let us down yet.
      “He’s the type of person, and you can ask anyone, that he never met a stranger. And he just had a way about him; he liked to talk and liked to meet people. He was a people person.”
      The two-person scramble at Edgebrook begins at 7:30 a.m. Saturday, but all participants are encouraged to be there a half-hour before tee-off time. Preregistration is also encouraged, but not required. The entry fee is $40 per person for non-Edgebrook members, and $19 for members.
      The money raised at the event goes to a scholarship fund that gives $500 to one basketball or football player every year, and left over money goes into the fund as well.
      Ruth said event organizers hope to build the savings up over time so the scholarship can continue indefinitely.
      “What we’re working towards and hoping we can do someday is make it perpetual. We hope to get to $10,000 in the bank, and then it goes on forever because you’re giving just off of the interest, so that’s our dream. Whether we’ll get there or not, we don’t know, but it’s one step at a time,” she said.
      The tournament is expected to draw more than 50 golfers, but there’s space for up to 72, so more are welcome. After 18 holes on the course, everyone will come back to the club house for a home-cooked meal and prizes.
      We...ARE...STATE!
      SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Bill Lindsey was Sargent Lindsey to me in 1961 when he first came to Brookings and I had him as an ROTC instructor. I remember him as a very likable person.

I know one other former Student Athlete who worked for him taking down and setting up Frost for BB games. This individual liked Bill and remembers him fondly. If you worked hard in the clean up he added a few hours credit. Those that did not show up and do what was required got less hours. Bill was that kind of a guy and continued to use his Army leadership skills after he retired and went over to the HPER department.

Also this same individual told me about how Bill Lindsey guarded the grass on Coughlin Alumni Field. If the dead know what is going on among the living, Bill had to be spinning in his grave when the AC was sprayed unto the center of the field and when the crew later inadvertantly used a pesticide on the grass. Those things did not happen under Bill.

Maybe next year I can participate in the golf outing as this is one of many ways we will get our athletic scholarships endowed to the tune of 20 million dollars. I hope they had a good turn out. Above all Bill Lindsey should not be forgotten as he was a big part of SDSU athletics for 24 years. Without the facilities staff, you dont have football games and basketball games.

Comment

The Lindsey family was very pleased with the number of golfers participating in the event. Next year will be the 10th annual so they are looking forward to a big group.

In an aside, Sarita DeBoer was there assisting with the tournament. She received the Lindsey scholarship this past year. I thought it was terrific that she would come and help with the event. I think it says a lot about Sarita.

Comment

Working...
          X