• Show
Clear All

• Stu Whitney takes a shot at SDSU?

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...49/1002/SPORTS

Pop quiz: Summer scene full of choices
    STU WHITNEY
    swhitney@argusleader.com

Published: 07/8/05

Can we settle down and find our seats, people? Thank you.

Let me first say that I know summer school can be a bummer, especially when class time conflicts with reruns of "Dharma and Greg."

But today is really important. With Wimbledon done and baseball's All-Star Game approaching, it's time to focus on something close to home that can be frightening and enlightening.

No, we're not taking a field trip to Buffalo Ridge.

I'm talking about our annual Midsummer Sports Quiz, which tests your knowledge on recent events in the ever-shifting world of athletics.

So get out your No. 2 pencils, stop visiting with your neighbor, and ponder these multiple-choice questions (keep in mind that "C" is almost always the right answer):

The U.S. Youth Soccer Midwest Regional Championships, held last month in Sioux Falls, set a record for:

a) Amount of revenue that flowed into the city

b) Most total goals scored in regional competition

c) The number of times South Dakota residents used the word "nil"

To brighten their playoff hopes and boost team morale, the Minnesota Twins will need to combine:

a) Johan Santana with strong middle relief

b) A trading-deadline deal with better offensive punch

c) Matthew LeCroy with deodorant

[glb]South Dakota State has announced that it will enter negotiations to become an official member of:

a) The Big Sky Conference

b) The Mid-Continent Conference

c) The ESD[/glb]

The most commonly spoken phrase at the Oakland Raiders' NFL training camp will be:

a) "Just win, baby"

b) "Silver and Black is back"

c) "That's just Randy"

Lance Armstrong plans to make this Tour de France his last because:

a) Seven titles in a row would forever silence his critics

b) He wants to spend more time with girlfriend Sheryl Crow

c) He prefers to focus on winning his first Tour de Kota

The South Dakota tragedy that figures to have the most lasting impact is:

a) The Rapid City flood

b) The Spencer tornado

c) Mary Hart Bobblehead Night

There has been widespread speculation about whether Kenny Rogers will:

a) Show up at the All-Star Game to pitch for the American League

b) Show up at the commissioner's office to appeal his suspension

c) Show up at the Turner County Fair to perform "Lucille"

Zygmunt Wilf took over the Minnesota Vikings' new ownership group when it was revealed that original buyer Reggie Fowler:

a) Didn't have $150 million in personal assets

b) Had second thoughts about his role in the deal

c) Lied on his resumé about serving as "Pope Reggie IV"

Shooting below 85 on a challenging Sioux Falls golf course gives area duffers a chance to:

a) Lower their handicap

b) Brag to co-workers

c) Beat Kris Tschetter

Support for an $80 million downtown events center in Sioux Falls has eroded because:

a) Attention has shifted to funding a recreation center

b) Voters are reluctant to spend public money on such an expensive project

c) Plans called for it to be built in the style of a shiny metallic diner

If a car is passed frequently on 41st Street and its driver gives you a flustered smile, this person is probably:

a) A student driver

b) A mall visitor from Iowa

c) Danica Patrick

Since the Storm failed to clinch a home game for the United Indoor Football playoffs, Arena fans might not get a chance to:

a) Throw their support around a postseason push

b) Throw their arms around their favorite Storm player

c) Throw their car keys at the opposing team

The Canaries have changed their 2005 marketing slogan from "Fun Is Good" to:

a) "Better Things Ahead!"

b) "Second Half, Second Chance!"

c) "Has Anyone Seen Carl Nichols?"

Sports in our society teaches valuable lessons about:

a) How losing can be handled with dignity

b) How teamwork can foster trust and friendship

c) How the "Original Whizzinator" works

Stu Whitney's column appears every Friday in the Argus Leader. Reach him at swhitney@argusleader.com or 977-3922.

[glb]Question: Has Stu (is that short for STUPID?) Whitney ever written anything complimentary about SDSU?  If he has I can dismiss him as just ribbing someone he really likes deep down.[/glb]

Re: Stu Whitney takes a shot at SDSU?

This is one time where I dont think Stu is trying to put down SDSU. He seems to be trying to deal with the dullness of summer and the poor people who have to be students in the summer. The questions seem to have good possible answers in A and B. Jokingly he seems to think that by the time you read choice C you are so bummed out or bored that you choose an obviously wrong answer in C. I think the column is all in fun and that was Stu's intent.

Comment

Originally posted by JBNJBQ
      Question: Has Stu (is that short for STUPID?) Whitney ever written anything complimentary about SDSU?  If he has I can dismiss him as just ribbing someone he really likes deep down.
      That's not his role. His job is to stir things up and write edgy and/or humorous columns. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It gets people talking, that's for sure. He's kind of like Patrick Reusse from the Star Tribune.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
        This is one time where I dont think Stu is trying to put down SDSU. He seems to be trying to deal with the dullness of summer and the poor people who have to be students in the summer. The questions seem to have good possible answers in A and B. Jokingly he seems to think that by the time you read choice C you are so bummed out or bored that you choose an obviously wrong answer in C. I think the column is all in fun and that was Stu's intent.
        No, it was a shot. Earlier in the article he mentions that the correct answer is "almost always C". Of course, I've seldom found Stu funny so I've got a double bias going here.

On the other hand, SDSU was the only SD college found worthy by Stu of such a shot in the article, so that's progress of a sort.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
          That's not his role. His job is to stir things up and write edgy and/or humorous columns. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It gets people talking, that's for sure. He's kind of like Patrick Reusse from the Star Tribune.
          My question still stands:

Has Stu Witney ever written anything favorable about SDSU?

I am sure you can find many positive articles about the Minnesota Gophers written by Patrick Reusse. Deep down he is a huge fan of anything "Minnesota."

That fact gives him the right to take an occassional shot at them without getting lynched by the "Svedes up dar."

Can anyone point to a positive article about SDSU written by Stu?

Comment

Originally posted by JBNJBQ

My question still stands:

Has Stu Witney ever written anything favorable about SDSU?

I am sure you can find many positive articles about the Minnesota Gophers written by Patrick Reusse. Deep down he is a huge fan of anything "Minnesota."

That fact gives him the right to take an occassional shot at them without getting lynched by the "Svedes up dar."

Can anyone point to a positive article about SDSU written by Stu?
            Read Reusse regularly and you won't find many examples of him cheerleading for anything. By the way, there are blogs and other Web sites essentially devoted to hating Patrick Reusse. So he doesn't get away with much. As I said, his role, like Stu's, is to stir things up, not to be a booster for anyone's favorite team.

In answer to your question: No, I don't recall seeing anything positive about SDSU from Stu, but as a former Argus Leader reporter and current SDSU journalism professor I understand that promoting Jackrabbit sports isn't his job.

What I have seen is the Argus assigning a beat reporter to SDSU (Chris Solari) who has done a very good job covering Jackrabbit athletics. What do you want from them? They have a puny six-person sports staff and we get one of them covering SDSU as his primary job. I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

This kind of discussion, by the way, is why Stu has a regular column in the Argus. He stirs things up and gets people talking.

Comment

Stu doesn't really matter and I don't mean that as a "dig", just a fact. He can stick to covering the ESD, DAC-10, 11, 12, NCC and summer league soccer. We've got Solari, a DI grad, who understands the workings of a DI institution. We aren't where we want to be yet and didn't expect any different. The fact that a DI conference has or is considering SDSU is a good thing. As they say any pub is good pub.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

JackMD has the right idea. If you don't like him, don't read his columns. A few unexpected wins will bring many of the naysayers around.

FYI: Stu's also a DI grad. Michigan State, same as Chris.

Comment

FYI: Stu's also a DI grad. Michigan State, same as Chris.
                  Damn, I was taking a shot that he wasn't. Damn, damn, damn!!
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

You can not just ignore a tyrant! We can not just look the other way!

He will continue to take unwarrented shots at people and/or institutions. He will undoubtedly influence a few misguided ungrounded individuals. The next thing you know you have a cult like group blindly following the power hungry maniac.

What will happen next?

Didn't we learn anything from World War II?

Stop Stu (pid?) comments now!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Guys: Don't let a Stu Whitney rent time in your head. Just quit reading his columns. You'll feel much better and maybe you'll be part of a trend (which would result in Stu fading away).

I don't read Reusse either. I simply do not have the time.

I like to read writings which challenge my thinking and cause me to consider opposing points of view. But, when it comes to sports (entertainment), I really don't want to work that hard.

Comment

I opened this thread expecting to see a tag line like "and in other news, the sun came up this morning."
                        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                        X