America's Best Sports Cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America's Best Sports Cities

Sporting News has released its annual list of America's Best Sports Cities. Boston is number one out of 388 cities ranked. Other notables:

229. Brookings
    244. Fargo
    248. Greeley
    326. Mankato

Interesting: Iowa City ranks 49th, and number one for college football. As an Iowa alum who attended lots of games at Kinnick Stadium, I'll go along with that. I'm sure there are plenty of dissenters on that one. There's just something about Big Ten atmosphere and tradition.

Oh, and Vermillion didn't make the list since there is no DI team... and pretty much nothing else there (Disclosure: I was born in Vermillion, so I'm entitled to that opinion.)

The complete list is here:

http://experts.sportingnews.com/feat.../fulllist.html

The criteria behind the rankings are here:

http://experts.sportingnews.com/feat.../criteria.html

Re: America's Best Sports Cities

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
    Oh, and Vermillion didn't make the list since there is no DI team... and pretty much nothing else there (Disclosure: I was born in Vermillion, so I'm entitled to that opinion.)
    I wasn't born there, but I still feel qualified to say there's nothing in Vermillion.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Having been to games in both Ann Arbor and East Lansing, I agree with OK_Jackrabbit regarding Big Ten atmosphere. Disappointed to see Ann Arbor lumped in with Detroit (likely why Detroit scored so high on the list). The two cities, while only about 40 miles apart geographically, are light-years apart in every other facet of life.

East Lansing/MSU does remind one a bit of Brookings/SDSU given its agricultural ambience. As much as we hate Vermillion/USD, the same holds true for the Spartans distaste for things Michigan. Ag school vs frat/rich kid school, etc. Bottom line: Vermillion still sucks.

Comment

Purdue has a great atmosphere, too. The Big Ten really is great for football.

I can say that the Big 12 really isn't. OU may have a high-powered football program, but it's all glitz and glamour and no tradition (if something has been around there for 10 years, they think it's a tradition). An OU game feels like a professional sports event... Lots of nearly naked cheerleaders/dance teams. Guys with guns... I'm not kidding. OU has the "Ruf-Neks" (nice spelling) which is basically a bunch of geeks who fire these annoying guns all the time. The Big 12 just has a superficial feel to it, as though the university is secondary. At Big Ten games, maybe it's the old stadiums and the bands, but the tradition and the universities feel like they're part of the event.

Comment

I have not been to a game at K-State but we did visit Manhattan in April. Our friend/host is a SDSU alum now on faculty in the animal science dept. He attends many FB games as the dept has regular brat/BBQ type feeds for pre-game tailgating. He says the atmosphere is great.

Comment

Originally posted by 91rabbit
            I have not been to a game at K-State but we did visit Manhattan in April.  Our friend/host is a SDSU alum now on faculty in the animal science dept.  He attends many FB games as the dept has regular brat/BBQ type feeds for pre-game tailgating.  He says the atmosphere is great.
            I've been to Manhatten and Iowa City for FB games. Manhatten and Aggie town are great but Iowa City takes the cake. I can't comment on any other schools but I would return to Iowa City in a heartbeat.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
              Purdue has a great atmosphere, too. The Big Ten really is great for football.

I can say that the Big 12 really isn't. OU may have a high-powered football program, but it's all glitz and glamour and no tradition (if something has been around there for 10 years, they think it's a tradition).
              This surprises me. OU has one of the most storied programs in college football. I'm not saying you are wrong, as I haven't even been to an OU game, it just surprises me.

Has anyone been to a Texas A&M game, I hear they have great tradition and atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by 91rabbit
                I have not been to a game at K-State but we did visit Manhattan in April.  Our friend/host is a SDSU alum now on faculty in the animal science dept.  He attends many FB games as the dept has regular brat/BBQ type feeds for pre-game tailgating.  He says the atmosphere is great.
                I haven't been to K-State, and I'm sure they have a great atmosphere, but I'm not sure if artificial turf can be part of the "classic" atmosphere and tradition I really enjoy. I know players really like the Field Turf because it is soft like grass and provides a more consistent (read as safer) surface. But as a fan only, I really like grass fields.

Speaking of tailgating, Sporting News should have ranked that separately. Purdue's tailgating was much wilder than Iowa's.

Comment

Originally posted by SDsportsFan

This surprises me.  OU has one of the most storied programs in college football.  I'm not saying you are wrong, as I haven't even been to an OU game, it just surprises me.

Has anyone been to a Texas A&M game, I hear they have great tradition and atmosphere.

I've never been to an A&M game, but the people at OU always talked about what an amazing atmosphere they have there.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum

I wasn't born there, but I still feel qualified to say there's nothing in Vermillion.
                    I lived there for over a year, and the only fun thing to do there is play "Beruit", aka beer pong.

Comment

Suprised to see there aren't any Husker fans backing the Big 12 yet.

Comment

My vote from a college standpoint would have to go to Baton Rouge, LA. Home of LSU- Unmatched atmosphere for football.

Also the home of a pretty big win for the JACKS last year against Southern U.

Comment

Working...
                        X