Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESPN Poll

Originally posted by SDsportsFan

I thought you were an SDSU alum? ??? Did you go to Grad school in Iowa or what?
    Yup. Got a Ph.D. at Iowa. I'm also an SDSU alum (bachelor's degree). And, while I don't really think much about it, I'm even a MSU-Mankato alum (M.A.) SDSU comes first, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by BDSUPERJACK
      I'm a new member and this will be my first post...GO JACKS!

On this voting nonsense, I've heard that USD's football coach has made his players vote as part of the first day of fall camp.  Notice USD's Football votes compared to USD's Basketball votes and the big reason why they have jumped so.
      Welcomd to the board BDSUPERJACK, thanks for posting.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by JBNJBQ

It is not a poll it is a game to see how long they can keep people on their site.

Hit your back button after voting and you can submitt the same vote again (as many times as you like).

I am sure Mavs#DII found that out and skewed the first sampling just to irritate us. He's got nothing better to do. No one loves him. He comes here to make conversation. Hahahaha. 

He is a Troll. (and an Idiot)  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Apparently I didn't make this post sarcastic enough! Sports-buff seems to have misinterpreted the meaning.

Let me say it again, r-e-a-l s-l-o-w:

I-t i-s n-o-t a p-o-l-l

I-t i-s a g-a-m-e

Have fun ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Both sides are guilty of multiple voting. This poll began on July 10 and as of August 5, around 36,000 votes had been cast. In a period of 4-5 days, 57,000 additional votes were cast. Amazing.

With the results now being certain, I'm wondering how South Dakota now looks to the rest of the world.

Comment

I been away for about three days and 4 pages of this theard? Unbelieveable. We woke a sleeping dog called a coyote. Time to plow up all the CRP land. Way too much wildlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
              With the results now being certain, I'm wondering how South Dakota now looks to the rest of the world.  
              My guess: Nobody cares a bit. As I mentioned before, these "polls" were just a way to pad ESPN's site statistics. Nobody takes them seriously. ESPN will use those inflated hit counts to sell advertisements on their Web site.

Comment

As I was walking out the door this morning, one of the ESPN broadcasters was sitting on a motorcycle in Sturgis. I checked the "poll" numbers when I got to the office. The results as of this morning are so skewed that it's really quite funny. It's clear the ballot box had been force fed.

Is USD's football team the state's most popular team? Of course not. I think most USD students and alums will tell you they rank their basketball team higher than their football team.

Mandy Koupal #1 in a couple of categories? Hey, I like Mandy Koupal and enjoyed watching her place but I think Mandy would have a hearty laugh upon seeing those results.

It was all in good fun. USD has a clever person with some programming experience who had more spare time on his hands than the SDSU people who voted time and time again (me included).

In the battle of ballot-box stuffing: USD 1, SDSU 0.

Comment

I'm kind of glad that the "poll" has gotten so ridiculous, anyone with half a brain will be able to tell that it was fixed.  I mean come on, Most memorable sports moment the 1958 USD championship.  ???  Mandy Koupal over Billy Mills (Olympic Gold Medalist) and Sparky Anderson (Baseball Hall of Famer) for Best homegrown product.  :  Mandy Koupal over Adam Vinatieri for Best in-state college or pro career, please.  One has played a pivotal role in 3 Super Bowls (including two game winning kicks) the other did not even make it to a NCAA D-II Women's Basketball Championship game, while at the same same time the ladies from SDSU WON a NCAA D-II Championship.    Finally you have to look at the computer generated "voting" that took place the last few days.  Sorry the good folks who support the largest D-II school in the state blew it with there "voting patterns".  I think Jimmy Carter needs to come up here and investigate the legitimacy of this election.  

I hear that Baghdad Bob has a new job.

"Yes USD is South Dakota's team the people have spoken.  There can be no doubt.  The people support President Hussein  .  .  .  I mean Presidnet Abbott 100%.  No automated voting was used to influence the ESPN poll".   ;D

Go State!  ;D

(*disclaimer this post is for humorous effect only, in no way is it meant to be taken seriously, much like the ESPN "poll", please don't let the mention of political figures such as Jimmy Carter, Baghdad Bob, ect. entice anyone into a genuine and serious debate about politics)

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                    I hear that Baghdad Bob has a new job.
                    That's a good one.

Comment

89 Rabbit.... Nice!!!!! ;D ;D

Comment

Once again USD and any association with athletics has been turned into a joke. Its really a disgrace to all USD alums who support the Coyotes (very few). Has for the majority of USD alums (don't give a rats butt about sports) it mean very little.

I hope I get to see the show tonight.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Dan Shanoff of ESPN Page 2 does a daily article called the Daily Quickie. During the 50/50 this summer, he has included a short blurb about that day's state. Today's reads as follows:

Impressions of S. Dakota:

Two words: Corn Palace, the most unusual location for a state high school basketball tournament in the country. Oh, and Adam Vinatieri.

About what I expected. Look forward to a piece on the Corn Palace, Mt. Rushmore, Sturgis and Vinnie.
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                            Dan Shanoff of ESPN Page 2 does a daily article called the Daily Quickie.  During the 50/50 this summer, he has included a short blurb about that day's state.  Today's reads as follows:

Impressions of S. Dakota:

Two words: Corn Palace, the most unusual location for a state high school basketball tournament in the country. Oh, and Adam Vinatieri.

About what I expected.  Look forward to a piece on the Corn Palace, Mt. Rushmore, Sturgis and Vinnie.
                            I'm sure they have plenty of archival tape of Vinatieri, Timmerman, Mike Miller, Tom Brokaw, etc. Heaven forbid they would do any actual reporting when they can just edit existing tape and pretend to capture the sports culture of the state. I haven't been very impressed with any of the 50 states features. It's another example of the mainstream media pretending that the middle of the country matters to them.

Here's a news flash: If you're not a big market (i.e. if there isn't a whole pile of money for them) they don't care. The only good thing is they sent Kenny Mayne, my favorite ESPN guy.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                              Once again USD and any association with athletics has been turned into a joke.  Its really a disgrace to all USD alums who support the Coyotes (very few).  I hope I get to see the show tonight.
                              Good point Jackmd. USD alums should be ashamed of their support of their school in this stupid poll.

Comment

Originally posted by SDsportsFan

Good point Jackmd.  USD alums should be ashamed of their support of their school in this stupid poll.  
                                Can you say naive? Mistaking a single persons implementation of a computer program which repeatedly enters the same response to each question in the poll without thought or sincerity as the whole of USD alums supporting their school, would pretty well define that word and your interpretation of the current situation. I would even say that the individual who designed the program deserves ridicule for exactly the reasons outlined by 89. The results, if taken seriously, are embarassing for all South Dakotans.

Lets try to be objective without a great deal of discussion. Partisanship is a natural part of human nature but to mistake the results of this poll as reflective of the true nature of sports and celebrity in SD is just plain assanine. I'm not taking it any further than that. Try to think when reading a post and before posting a reply. Its hard to know how naive a bystander is.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X