Sioux Falls picks up new non-stop flights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sioux Falls picks up new non-stop flights

Anytime air travel becomes easier it benefits SDSU. Here is a story from the Sioux Falls Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...508110304/1001

Airlines add flights to Orlando, Las Vegas

JON WALKER
    jwalker@argusleader.com

Published: 08/11/05

Competition and the swift rise of the leisure industry have given Sioux Falls air travelers two new nonstop routes, to Orlando and Las Vegas.

Allegiant Air's new flights to Orlando, home of Disney World, will provide the first scheduled nonstop connections to Florida in South Dakota's airline history.

Northwest Airlines, meanwhile, will jump into Allegiant Air's back yard by starting nonstop service this fall from Sioux Falls to Las Vegas. Allegiant has been serving that route since July 2004 with nonstop flights that are often 85 to 90 percent full.

The news comes as the Sioux Falls Regional Airport continues its steady climb after the 2001 terrorist attacks shocked the nation's travel industry. And it shows how entertainment drives a larger share of the market, as carriers turn their attention to pleasure seekers.

Las Vegas, as the gambling mecca of the West, has moved up to third place among destinations for the 335,000 people who board planes annually in Sioux Falls. Orlando has moved up to seventh.

With discount fares ahead, the biggest choice for some consumers will be how to spend their spare change, one analyst said Wednesday. . . .

One discount already in play is a two-for-one $89 ticket to Las Vegas on Allegiant, a deal requiring two overnights in Nevada.

"I think you'll see fares are going to be very reasonable," Streeval said.

Consumers were happy Wednesday to learn of the new service.

"The more the merrier," said Jared Smith, 23, a Washington High and St. Cloud State University graduate now living in Las Vegas. "One of the reasons we decided to move here was the convenience of flights to Sioux Falls." . . .

This now gives Sioux Falls Non-Stop flights to Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, Las Vegas, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Orlando, and Phoenix. I hope this trend continues and that some of the folks that think South Dakota is so hard to get to see the light.

Go State! ;D

Re: Sioux Falls picks up new non-stop flights

A surprisingly aggressive move by Northwest--I guess they must think it won't take any passengers away from its fortress hub in MSP.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
    X