Filbert's Conference Map Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filbert's Conference Map Project

I've begun a project to create maps of D-I conferences. The first fruits are up on The Conference Map Project home page.

Of particular interest might be the 2004-05 D-I Basketball Map showing, as geographically accurately as I could, the locations of all the D-I basketball schools. (When you map them all out, we don't look quite as "geographically remote" as some would have us believe. NDSU on the other hand . . . )

Also, here's the D-I Independents map for 2004-05.

Look 'em over and let me know what you think.

As time permits, I plan to do I-A and I-AA football, then 2005-06 D-I basketball, then if I have time, D-II football and basketball.

(Fixed a link . . . )
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Filbert's Conference Map Project

I love maps, good stuff.

Go State! ;D

Comment

When you look at the map a combination of Gateway in football and either the Missouri Valley or Horizon for other sports still makes the most sense.

Comment

A few weeks ago, I calculated the average driving distance from Brookings to the schools in each of the other four conferences that have been talked about. I included NDSU in the calculations as if they were also in each conference. I used mapquest.com to determine the driving distances. Here are the results

Missouri Vallley 541
        Horizon 713
        Mid. Continent 723
        Big Sky 1157

Based on distance, the Missouri Valley would be the best choice if we could be so lucky. The Big Sky really is not all that appealing compared to any of the other three from a distance perspective.

Comment

I've said all along that The Valley is where we want to be. It's geographically the best fit, and the schools in the Valley are academically and athletically similar to SDSU as well.

But, in order to get there, we need to get our men's basketball RPI at least into the low 100's and preferably under 100. The MVC sees itself as a premier basketball conference, and isn't interested in taking any weak sisters.

Beating Kentucky and Illinois, and winning the Guardians Classic, this season might get us in. (Yes, I know, I know . . . )
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Nice job Filbert-You put some work into that. It looks great. My hope is also that we can play our way in to the MVC in the next 10 years.

Comment

Very cool maps. Thanks for all the work.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I'd have been happier if I hadn't forgotten IUPUI. (Rapidly fixed.) Even more inexcusable since I'm in KC and IUPUI is a MidCon team.

Oh, well. Some time in the next month or so, I'll move on to D-I football.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Great, missed Drake, too. *sigh*
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                    Great, missed Drake, too.  *sigh*
                    Well you got SDSU, and after that, who really cares. ;D ;D

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
                    X