• Show
Clear All

• New scoreboards stories

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...46/1002/SPORTS

New scoreboards, video screens will be installed at Coughlin, Frost

Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com

Published: 07/23/05

BROOKINGS - South Dakota State fans and athletes will get a whole new experience this fall when they attend home games at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium and Frost Arena.

SDSU began work early this week on preparing Coughlin, the football stadium, for a new state-of-the-art scoreboard, with the goal to have the system up and running when the Jacks open the 2005 season on Sept. 3.

A similar project will follow at Frost with plans to finish there for the basketball openers in November.

The total price tag for both projects is nearly $3 million.

The new additions will include large video replay screens, murals of SDSU athletes around the two venues and video screens near concession stands.

By adding the Daktronics scoreboards, SDSU expects two things to happen - gain money from sponsorships and marketing and help entice recruits with the enhancements.

"It's totally going to change what Frost Arena looks like," men's basketball coach Scott Nagy said. "It's hard even to look at the pictures just to visualize. We've already got a great arena, but this is going to make it that much better."

The improvements to Frost will begin after the ones at Coughlin are finished.

Coughlin-Alumni's 40-yard wide-by-56-feet high scoreboard will house a 17-by-28 feet video board that can be used for in-game broadcasts, replays and advertising. It will be counted on to bring a new atmosphere and energy to the 43-year-old stadium.

"You're going to see a lot of featuring of our student-athletes in the murals and everything," SDSU Athletic Director Fred Oien said. "We want student-athletes, when they come to South Dakota State, to understand that they are first and foremost."

The Frost Arena project - which will include a four-sided video scoreboard above the court, a 37-foot LED scorer's table and 60 feet-wide-by-4 feet-high video strips on the walls behind the baskets.

"We're very proud of what we've come to the table with from a design perspective," said Tom Coughlin, the North Central region manager for Daktronics Sports Marketing. "We think the entire community, and the entire fan base of South Dakota State, will be pleased with what they see."

The project is being paid for by the SDSU Foundation, which is a private, non-profit corporation that acts as a fund-raising arm of the university. The Board of Regents approved the action in December 2004. Oien said the athletic department will pay back the $3 million to the Foundation over 10 years.

"You might get the impression that we had to go raise money to build the scoreboards," he said. "We're really investing money to expand the value of those gifts."

The money being used for the scoreboards is separate from the SDSU Foundation's Lifelong Champions campaign. That fund-raising effort is to raise $20 million by 2008.

SDSU told the Board of Regents that the new scoreboards would help generate in the neighborhood of $400,000 annually in revenue for the athletic department. Oien said that was a "very conservative" estimate made to the Regents, and that the long-term corporate sponsorship money should easily surpass that level.

"Our sponsors have really responded," said Oien, who brokered the financial aspects of the Daktronics deal. "They understand what this is about - they want a piece of the Division I experience."

Keyframe, another division of Daktronics, will provide the game-day production, as well as video and advertising content on the scoreboards. About 10-12 people will be needed to run the video operations.

The video screens will also be used for other events at the venues, such as band concerts and graduation.

"It's going to affect more than just men's and women's basketball and football," said Keith Mahlum, who is in charge of major donations to the athletic department. "At many of the other events we host in our facility throughout the year, there will be some ongoing use of this technology. It will add enhancements to a lot of events in that facility."

SDSU's old scoreboard systems were near the end of their lifespans. The one at Frost was installed with the building's completion in 1973, while the one at Coughlin-Alumni was built in 1977. Mark Steinkamp, a marketing and sales support manager for Daktronics, said the basketball scoreboard was one of the company's oldest still in use.

The athletic department had been working toward getting new scoreboards for at least the last six years.

Daktronics is headquartered in Brookings.

Reach Chris Solari at 977-3923.

[glb]Nice picture of the unit shown on the Argus site above.[/glb]

Re: Argus story on new scoreboards 7/23/05

Here is the drawing of the scoreboard, not sure how long it will last, some argus photos are good for only a week.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...46/1002/SPORTS

Coughlin-Alumni Stadium will receive a 40-yard wide by 56-feet high scoreboard.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Re: New scoreboards stories

(some new info from the Brookings Register)

http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...74&page=23

Jackrabbits illuminated
      BY ERIC X. VICCARO

Dazzling video displays will be in offing for fans attending South Dakota State University sporting events in the near future.

A project spearheaded by Daktronics, the globally-known visual display company based here in town, is working in conjunction with SDSU on a $3-million project which includes scoreboards at both Coughlin-Alumni-Stadium and Frost Arena.

"The boards will add a new dimension," SDSU women's basketball coach Aaron Johnston said. "To be honest, many universities won't have what we're going to have in this area."
      Scoreboards in Frost Arena will keep track of score, fouls and timeouts plus other more complicated statistics such as field-goal percentage and offensive rebounds.

Johnston isn't the only coach passionate about the forthcoming signage changes.

"It's going to put us in the elite category as far as facilities in Division I athletics," SDSU offensive coordinator Daren Wilkinson said. "I'm excited about what it's going to do for our recruiting and the atmosphere at our games."

Wilkinson is pleased the new scoreboards will keep running totals in terms of overall, rushing and passing offense.

"Going into halftime," said Wilkinson, "looking at the scoreboard will be an indicator of how well we are executing the gameplan. It will be helpful."

Replays will be available on a video display board located in the center of the new, expansive football scoreboard that stands 121-by-56 feet. The video display itself is a whopping 17-by-29 feet. Yes, this is the big time.

Ground electrical work on the football scoreboard is scheduled to begin in the next couple of weeks.

The football scoreboard is expected to be in place in mid to late August, plenty of time before the home-opener on Sept. 3 against Wisconsin-LaCrosse. Work on the basketball scoreboards will begin after that.

Other amenities at the football stadium include television monitors near concession stands and video displays featuring current and past Jackrabbit athletic successes. Even the 25-second play clock is more prominent, located inside the new scoreboard.

The new basketball scoreboard will be a fancy four-sided model usually found in much larger arenas such as the Qwest Center in Omaha.

"It's putting our two main athletic venues on par with the likes of the pros," SDSU athletic director Fred Oien said.

The four-sided basketball scoreboard stands 30-by-16, featuring a rotating sponsors' board. The scoreboard will also have a spotlight in the center for wrestling matches. There will also be wraparound video displays, standing 108-by-4-1/2 feet, complete with every statistic imaginable. The new scorer's table is also totally digital. All elements are LED matrix.

Comment

Wow, that is pretty impressive that SDSU will have some of the best facilities in D1. That should no doubt help to bring in some recruits. It will also add something for fans being able to follow all the stats.

Comment

I was told they were pouring the footings for the football scoreboard this week. 26 feet deep footings. That's a deep hole. Both of these upgrades are going to be unbelievable. I can't wait for my first trip back to see the finished product.
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

from the daktronics website

http://www.daktronics.com/dak_news.cfm?articleID=437

BROOKINGS, S.D. – August 10, 2005 – Daktronics, Inc. (Nasdaq-DAKT) and South Dakota State University announced today that the Company has designed and will install new integrated scoring and video systems, and additional signage at both Coughlin Alumni Stadium and Frost Arena.

“We are extremely pleased to announce this major upgrade to our facilities,” said Dr. Fred Oien, SDSU Director of Athletics, “and we are pleased to be working with Daktronics, the recognized leader in this industry. The new equipment will provide incredible excitement for Jackrabbit fans and great exposure for our corporate sponsors. The new equipment will feature the dedication and commitment of our outstanding student athletes. The Daktronics Sports Marketing team did a tremendous job of designing the equipment and signage to provide outstanding recognition for our sponsors in a very tasteful manner.”

“Our corporate partners really stepped up to help make this a reality,” Oien said. “On behalf of South Dakota State University, I extend our appreciation to anchor partners First Bank and Trust of Brookings, Avera Brookings Medical Clinic, Coca Cola, and Daktronics. Founding partners include Aramark, Farm Credit Services of America and State Farm Insurance. Major partners include S.D. Beef Industry Council, First Premier Bank, SDSU Bookstore, Burger King, Northwestern Energy, and DeSmet Farm Mutual Insurance Company of South Dakota. These great companies will help make SDSU athletics successful going into the future.”

The project is being financed by the SDSU Foundation, a private, non-profit corporation. The SDSU Foundation is making an investment in the scoreboard system through the use of current and future private gifts.

“A large number of SDSU alumni, students and supporters work at Daktronics and we’re very pleased to be able to provide this multi-million dollar system incorporating the latest video and scoring technology for Frost Arena and Coughlin Stadium,” said Kirk Simet, Daktronics Sports Marketing Manager and National Sales Manager for Large Sports Venues. “Local and regional support for Jackrabbit athletics is strong and our thanks go to the corporate partners who have helped make this happen.”

Fans attending Jackrabbit football games will notice significant improvements in the facility. The 28-year old Daktronics football scoreboard behind the south end zone will be replaced with a custom-designed, state-of-the-art Daktronics scoreboard using the latest in light emitting diode (LED) technology. The scoreboard will measure approximately 56 feet high by 121 feet wide, with a large full-color ProStar® video replay screen positioned in the center of the board. Two smaller scoring and stats boards will be positioned on each side of the center scoreboard. Additional banners and signage highlighting the strong tradition of SDSU athletics and the University’s corporate sponsors will adorn the football stadium. Daktronics will also provide a new state of the art sound system through its Sportsound® division.

Visitors to Frost Arena will experience a more exciting venue thanks to a major upgrade that includes four new high-resolution ProStar® video displays, other full-color digital LED displays, new scoreboards, and additional banners and signage. The custom-designed center-hung scoreboard will incorporate ProStar® VideoPlus technology on four sides, displaying high resolution live video and instant replays, color animation and graphics, and statistical information. Each of the video displays will measure approximately 7 feet high by 12 feet wide. Above the video screens are unique, circular identification and scoring displays. Two full-color digital ProAd® displays, each measuring 4 feet high by 60 feet wide, will be mounted parallel to the sidelines of the court. South Dakota State will become one of only a handful of NCAA Division I facilities to incorporate Daktronics ProTable™ full-color digital scorers’ tables. The new equipment will replace the original Daktronics scoring equipment installed when Frost Arena first opened in 1973.

ProStar® technology, HD-ready and available only from Daktronics, uses the latest in red, green and blue (RGB) light emitting diode (LED) technology to present live and recorded video images, colorful animation and vivid graphics with incredible brightness and wide-angle visibility. Daktronics is recognized as the world’s leading provider of full-color LED video displays.

In addition Daktronics will provide transparent shot clocks for basketball, delay of game clocks for football, locker room clocks, and the control systems to operate the new equipment, including All Sport® control consoles, statistical interfaces, Venus® 7000 controllers, V-Link® video processors and video cameras. New wrestling, swimming and softball scoreboards, and an upgrade to the baseball scoreboard, are also included in the project.

Comment

I drove by Coughlin today. It looked like the start of the first two supports were in place. I would assume we will be able to see rapid progress these next two weeks. I will drive by every couple days and report what I can see.

Comment

I saw video of the scoreboards at the last employee meeting we had at Dak. Not only will there be new scoreboards, but you will have video screens by concession stands showing current action and banners with words of encouragement to the athletes. The fans and the players will all enjoy the new displays.
                Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Was i dreaming when i thought there was going to be large mural type boards/displays on the west side of the grandstand at coughlin between the concrete supports going to the top of the stands. It seems i remember seeing these in a picture somewhere but now i can't find that picture. Does anybody else remember these or know where that picture may have been.

Any Help?
                  "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

from the sdsu website

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Sc...ject/Index.cfm

and the photos that your talking about were in a brookings register or a jacks flash

Comment

Thanks Jacks NL,
                      I thought i was losing my mind for a minute. Does anybody have a link to those photos. If i remember correctly it really spiced up the back side of the grandstand.
                      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

You are correct. The pictures I saw were during our meeting. They are being used for two reasons: cover up the concrete and encouragement to the athletes and fans. They will be in school colors in both the football field and basketball arena. They will really make the venues better.
                        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I drove by Coughlin again today. The base supports for the scoreboard are in place. They are working on the exterior advertisements and pictures. There are four large advertisement boards in place setting on the horizontal concrete beams on the west edge of the stadium. (Above the concession stand area but below the seating) There is one each for the major sponsors, First National Bank and Trust, Daktronics, Avera, and Coca Cola, I believe. They are also working on the large pictures. They are on the underside of the seating area and two are up. There are also smaller pictures at various locations on the concrete support beams. I wasn't close enough to really get the effect and they aren't done. In any case, it is going to be a lot sharper environment this fall.

Comment

There is a link on the gojacks.com web site that shows pictures of the scoreboard's progress.

Comment

Working...
                            X