Soccer team VERY young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soccer team VERY young

Eric has another story out, this time about our soccer team. Here is a link and some highlights from the Brookings Register:

http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...46&page=25

The next generation
    BY ERIC X. VICCARO

If the South Dakota State University women's soccer team was made into a reality television show, it could be called: "Jackrabbits: The Next Generation."
    SDSU features 10 freshmen and one transfer student from California as the Jackrabbits go through a makeover from a 5-11-1 season split between playing NCAA Division I and II schools.
    The team also has no seniors, the first time in SDSU head coach Lang Wedemeyer's career that he's experienced this unique phenomenon.
    Still, Wedemeyer is impressed with what the incoming freshmen bring to the pitch.
    "There's no subsitute for a strong senior class, but the freshmen certainly have a lot of talent," Wedemeyer said. "The hard part is going to be putting it all together with what we have." . . .

"I think, obviously, there's going to be a gap in leadership," Wedemeyer said. "But, the upperclassmen we have are working hard to fill those roles."
    The coach and the players agree that this team is already closer together than previous Jackrabbit squads.
    Kelly Larson, one of the dynamic freshmen on the squad, said the team has held movie nights, went shopping at local stores and ate dinner together as a means of bonding.
    "We have been too busy to be homesick," said Larson, a four-time all-state selection who played for the Class A girls soccer champions Mahmotedi (Minn.) last season.
    "It's been going well," Larson added. "They (the juniors and sophomores) have made it easy for us. They are an awesome group."
    Larson will be making the transition from defense to center midfielder.
    "It's going to be challenge," she said.
    Forward Kelsey Worcester, a member of the NCAA Division I all-independent team and leading goal-scorer in Iowa scholastic girls soccer history, is excited about playing with the freshmen class.
    "Coach has a lot of talent to work with," Worcester said. "We just have to figure out where we are at. And coach does a good job of finding our talents."
    Worcester said she wants to increase her presence.
    “I think I have to become a stronger leader on this team," she said. "I want to become a dominant player. I want to be constantly talking to my teammates."
    Worcester knows what it means to shine as a freshman. Last year, Worcester tallied a team-high nine goals, three of them game-winners. She plastered 30 shots on goal and scored 30 percent of the time she flicked toward net.

The Jacks open the season on Aug. 26 at home against Minnesota State and then they really get things going at Fishback Soccer Park with Creighton (Aug 28th), Northern Iowa (Sept.2). They follow that up with a couple of big time road games at Iowa State and Minnesota. This young team will need to gel on the fly. Best of luck to the Jackrabbits!

Go State! ;D

Re: Soccer team VERY young

I didn't feel the need for opening up another topic, but does anybody know if State is planning on adding soccer as a Men's sport also. I think they might be able to bring in some local kids this year and next year. Brookings is holding the South Dakota High School State Soccer Tourneys this upcoming year and I believe next year also. I also don't believe that any of the bigger schools in SD offer soccer as a school sport. Northern has it as a "club" sport, but none are affiliated with the school. If State could make soccer a school sport they could bring in some talented players acorss the state.

Comment

Re: Soccer team VERY young

It is highly unlikely that any men's sports would be added, due to Title IX considerations.  To be able to maintain our current level of men's sports and add football scholarships SDSU has added the sport of Women's Equestrian.  To add another men's sports team would require an additional women's squad, and I have not heard any talk of that at all.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Working...
      X