Caldwell and USU projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caldwell and USU projects

D-town mentioned that he saw this story on KELO last night,  on another thread (D-town are you back in SD visiting, or did you move back from Denver?).  Here are highlights from it:

http://www.keloland.com/News/NewsDet...cfm?Id=0,41921

08/19/2005
    Building for the Future

Classes begin at some KELOLAND schools next week. And while many teachers are busy preparing their classrooms, South Dakota State Universityis putting the final touches on a major renovation project.

Construction workers outnumber students at SDSU these days. With less than two weeks before students return to Brookings, construction crews are putting the finishing touches on several different projects on campus. Marysz Rames is the Dean of Students Affairs at SDSU. "I think students are going to come back and be really excited about what they see on campus."

One of the most noticeable changes this year is a new dorm.
    The 10-million dollar Caldwell Residence Hall takes dorm living to new heights. The 300-bed facility features two double rooms that share a bathroom. The arrangement is more private than traditional dormitory space, but less expensive than an apartment. Rames says, “They will be ready. We're very excited, that was a very aggressive project for us but we're feeling very good about where construction is."  .  .  .

With over 11-thousand students last year, South Dakota's largest University needed more space which is why they spent 10-million dollars to upgrade and expand the student union.

The union is more than 30 years old here at SDSU and hasn't seen any type of renovation since it was built. But come Monday, the students and the public will get a look at what a 10-million dollar renovation will look like. Rames adds, "We’ve added a lot of space that's lounge, open study space for students. We've created several fireplaces in the building so they can kind of this atmosphere of a home to hang out in. 44-thousand square feet was added to the new Union, including a large multipurpose room, which is nearly complete.
    Rames says, "so what we did with the new union is we lightened it up with the big glass and we also popped up the roof over the food service area and added glass all the way around it so even in the winter you're going to get a lot of light in that building."  .  .  .

I toured the Student Union while it was under construction and it is very impressive then.  I can't wait to see it once it is done.  I encourage anyone who hasn't seen it to take a little time and check it out.  I love watching our University grow and improve, it is very rewarding to see the Alma Mater getting better every day.  8)  

Go State!  ;D

Re: Caldwell and USU projects

Originally posted by 89rabbit
    I toured the Student Union while it was under construction and it is very impressive then.  I can't wait to see it once it is done.  I encourage anyone who hasn't seen it to take a little time and check it out.  I love watching our University grow and improve, it is very rewarding to see the Alma Mater getting better every day.  8)  

Go State!  ;D

I'm planning a trip up to Brookings next week to check out the improvements around campus and hopefully if I have time a little golf.

One other improvement I've heard is that the roads on both sides of Coughlin have now been paved. That should make it more convenient to access the tailgating area. 8)

Comment

The argus had a nice story on the Student Union today. Here is a link and some highlights:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...508230335/1001

Face-lift aims for more students in Union
      $9.6M renovation paid for with $1-per-credit fee

Heather Mangan
      For the Argus Leader

Published: 08/23/05

BROOKINGS - South Dakota State University's Student Union has reopened to the public with a new face, and just in time for the fall semester.

On Monday, SDSU students and Brookings community members went into the building for the first time since construction began in May 2004. Furniture has been arriving this month and will continue through October, said Marysz Rames, vice president of student affairs. Classes begin next Tuesday.

As the furniture goes in, the facility begins to take on its new look.

"It's amazing to see it develop," said Ryan Brunner, student association president.

"I think it will be a cornerstone for student life. They are going to be drawn because of the beautiful building." . . .

Deb Garbers, a member of the Convention Visitors Bureau of Brookings, toured the building recently and said she was impressed instantly.

"Unless you were familiar with the former union, you would never know it's the same," she said.

It has event center qualities, she said, and it is more practical.

"It (doesn't) feel like so much as a center of the university, but like a center of the community," Garbers said.

"You don't feel like you have to be a student to go in there. It has an energy that appeals to an entire community."

Brunner said the new student union will help move SDSU forward as it continues to transition to a Division I school.

Novotny said a grand opening will be held in late September in conjunction with the opening of SDSU's new residential building, Caldwell Hall.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFallsJack

One other improvement I've heard is that the roads on both sides of Coughlin have now been paved.  That should make it more convenient to access the tailgating area.  8)
        I believe just the road on the east side has been paved.

Comment

We had a faculty development meeting in the new Volstorff Ballroom today. The union is really impressive. Our speaker talked about how a similar union project at Bowling Green changed the culture of that campus. I expect the same here. For the first time, there is an everyday destination in the center of campus that will attract students (and, yes, keep them on campus between classes.) Maybe a lack of that sense of community and place is one of the things that has, in the past, kept students from attending sporting events. It's not a linear relationship, but I'm thinking that building up places to just "be" on campus will enhance students' connection to the place and thus make it more likely they'll attend sporting events.

Comment

The Pugsley Union on the southwest part of campus was once quite a hub of activity.  There was also a business section on Medary between eighth and ninth street that no longer exists. In my visits to campus during the school term, I noticed that activity has shifted to the north-east of campus. This has been good and accommodating for an increase in student enrollment. The highest enrollement during the time I was enrolled was 4200 in the fall of 1964.

Between the new union and new Briggs library the once active part of the campus became  almost a ghost town.  

The new union upgrade will probably change things further than what it was in the 1950's and 1960's. This is good as it should accommodate a much larger enrollement.

SDSU does not seem to have that business section that served the needs of Students that was once present on Medary.  Whether the newer expanded Union will allow enterprises to operate within their facility is something no one has mentioned on here. I guess the super market on sixth and other places have kind of taken the place of the business places on Medary.  I know the streets closest to the campus in Lincoln Nebraska cater and employe UNL students.  This is something SDSU should consider as it would be a way to pull town and gown together.

Comment

I made the trip up to Brookings yesterday and the campus looked great! I walked around Coughlin and the new scoreboard is going to be huge.

I walked thru the student union and I thought I was in a completely different building than the union I remember my last year at SDSU in 1990. With the natural lighting, new seating, and other improvements this should make a great gathering place for students. I strongly encourage any past alums to check out the union on your next visit to Brookings.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                SDSU does not seem to have that business section that served the needs of Students that was once present on Medary.  Whether the newer expanded Union will allow enterprises to operate within their facility is something no one has mentioned on here. I guess the super market on sixth and other places have kind of taken the place of the business places on Medary.  I know the streets closest to the campus in Lincoln Nebraska cater and employe UNL students.  This is something SDSU should consider as it would be a way to pull town and gown together.
                I agree. Most campuses have a business district adjacent that serves the campus community (most I have seen anyway... Purdue and Oklahoma have nice business areas, and in Iowa City the campus is intermingled with downtown).

The Foundation now sits where that small business area was adjacent to SDSU. It would be great if the city and university got together to develop something like that. Perhaps they could buy out some of the slum lords whose abominations are polluting the areas adjacent to campus (those landlords should be ashamed of themselves, in my opinion) and develop something. Of course they won't, though, unless Home Depot decides to locate at the corner of 8th and Medary. In that case, I'm sure a bag of money will appear.[/sarcasm]

Comment

Working...
                X