Satelite Feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satelite Feed

Montana has a huge gathering, I realize, but I was wondering if there was going to ever be a chance where SDSU would do what Montana does and feed their basketball and football games to satelites at sports bars and what not for SDSU alumni and fan gatherings around the country. Is this something that might happen down the road now that we are d1, or is it a fat chance?

Re: Satelite Feed

They've done it occasionally for the Hoboday games, but I would obviously like to see it for all games. I'm sure $$ is the main setback.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I have it from a SDSU alum and good friend that the game will be broadcast on statewide TV in Montana. He will be taping the game (as he attends it!) and then sending me the tape. So, unless you can make it to Rochester for the small gathering that may be cobbled together some time in the future to view the game, I would beg, borrow, steal, cajole your own copy from anyone you know with a Montana connection.

BTW, on a somewhat humorous note, this same friend had another friend tape last year's MSU game (again while he attended the game in Bozeman) and sent me the tape. The only problem is that the aforementioned friend forgot to set the proper speed and only about half of the game is available. If anyone wants the tape, let me know. You can donate the shipping costs to pay for refreshments for the upcoming Grizzly viewing.

As to the satellite feed, I do believe that cost is the main prohibitive factor. Anyone heard if the NDSU game is to be broadcast like last year?

Comment

The satelite "gatherings" that Montana fans do is more of an impromptu thing where area alumni gather at a sports bar (with a Big Sat. Dish) and provide the owner with the coordinates of the regular braodcast. At least that is the way I understand it. I don't think the University has much if anything to do with it. What we would need is KSFY, KELO, or KDLT to broadcast our games, and the rest would be easy.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo
          Montana has a huge gathering, I realize, but I was wondering if there was going to ever be a chance where SDSU would do what Montana does and feed their basketball and football games to satelites at sports bars and what not for SDSU alumni and fan gatherings around the country.  Is this something that might happen down the road now that we are d1, or is it a fat chance?

Last years Jackrabbit victory over the bison was broadcast via satellite to several locations across the nation. It was a joint venture between the 2 schools alumni associations. VJ would be the man to answer the question regarding the same this year. I guess I have been assuming the game would be available in Rochester again this year but maybe I'm wrong.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

There are no plans to broadcast any games at the moment. It's an extremely expensive venture. It cost $16,000 to $18,000 to broadcast the USD or Augie games to 35-40 sites throughout the United States. Last year's NDSU game cost the SDSU Alumni Association approximately $9,000. NDSU paid the same amount.

By the way, in the last 8 years we have broadcast 2 games involving USD. At no time did that school or its alumni association ever offer to help with any expenses.

Comment

If you are like me and I suspect most are not, you grumble when you do your federal 1040 every year and I make a special grumble about donation to the Jackrabbit Club. The IRS has long ago made guidelines that if a donor to college athletics receives something of value such as preferred seating and parking, or a tailgate space, the deduction you take on your tax form can only be 80 per cent of the amount donated. If you gave 100 bucks that counted towards seating points, you can only deduct 80 bucks.  The more you give the bigger the bite of the 20 per cent.

One way that I had thought of too make this bite less of a sting was to contribute to the SDSU Alumni Assoication.  If you give directly to the Alumni Assoication, your donation is 100 per cent deductible, or nearly 100 per cent as the State Magazine would possibly be an item of value that the donee received.

The primary reason I made this choice was that the Alumni Assoication is working very close with the Athletic department, putting on satelite feeds and alumni gathering before the games. So by helping the Alumni Association out, you are indirectly helping the Jackrabbit Club.  Right now our Excecutive Director of the AA would love to do many more things around the country, but he can't because he does not have the resources nor the staff to do these things. I.E. the satillite feed from Montana.

Do not take this wrong, the 20 per cent thing is a very personal thing with I, me and myself, and it should not stop you from giving to the Jackrabbit Club or for anything else on the SDSU campus.

The campus people are very happy to see you write a check of any size. With a legecy of tight fisted legislatures in Pierre, each and every donation counts.
              If the D1 decision was depended on appropriated funds, it would have never happened.

Comment

Working...
              X