DI envy (probably a good thing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DI envy (probably a good thing)

SDSU has two of it's Men's Basketball game scheduled to be broadcast nationally by ESPNU.  I am not saying I don't care about being on TV, I just don't want to pay for it.  If we concentrate on putting together a top notch program it won't be long and KELO will be paying us to put our games on TV.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-D1
      I disagree with 89.  I think we should be concerned that USD is on TV and SDSU is not.  I read another post somewhere else that all Montana games are on TV locally.  I think NDSU also gets at least some of its games televised locally.  SDSU needs to have games televised locally to support its move to DI.  It would sure do a lot to provide exposure and get new fans, IMHO.
      Sure TV is nice, but SDSU needs to zero in on its own priorities, and we should get all knotted up about USD.
      Its exactly what USD would like to see happen to SDSU boosters. Lets not fall for it. 8)

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
        SDSU has two of it's Men's Basketball game scheduled to be broadcast nationally by ESPNU.  I am not saying I don't care about being on TV, I just don't want to pay for it.  If we concentrate on putting together a top notch program it won't be long and KELO will be paying us to put our games on TV.
        Go State!  ;D
        Indirectly being on ESPNU is "costing" SDSU big $$$, is that not correct? So SDSU is "paying" to be on TV, just in a different way.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU/BHS-FAN

Indirectly being on ESPNU is "costing" SDSU big $$$, is that not correct?  So SDSU is "paying" to be on TV, just in a different way.
          How is being on ESPNU costing SDSU anything? ???

Go State! ;D

Comment

Since we have made the move to D-I, we have increased our budget. Thus, being D-I has enabled us to play teams such as Kentucky.

So playing teams like Kentucky, gives us the chance to be on National TV. Which we would have not probably had the chance to do, if we didn't go D-1. So that's why I say indirectly, it cost SDSU money to be on TV.

Comment

That is a stretch, but ok. What you are talking about really can't be compared to what USD is doing to have their football game on KELO. I guess I don't see the relevancy. ???

Go State! ;D

Comment

SDSU being on ESPNU is "costing" SDSU nothing. It comes down to national sponsors versus local sponsors.

Let's explain why it "costs" to be on local television. First, corporate sponsors believe they are "giving" something to a school by underwriting expenses. The Mike Daly Show (1991-1996) had several corporate sponsors from the Sioux Falls area and those sponsors believed they were "giving" to the SDSU program. In fact, both USD and Augustana approached those same sponsors and said, "What about us? If you are doing it for SDSU you ought to be doing it for us, too!" That cost the Mike Daly Show at least two sponsors.

That's my point. The sponsors will pay for the television commercials, believing that they are supporting the school by doing this. So, instead of giving a gift directly to a school, they will write the check to KELO, KSFY, etc.
                Sure the school receives an indirect benefit by the publicty it receives from being on television. What the schools really need is revenue to support scholarship programs, equipment needs, travel, etc.

The vast majority of national sponsors will not pay for commericials involving local schools like Augie or USD. However, local sponsors will help foot the bill. So, instead of giving money to those schools for the scholarships, etc., they will pay for advertising.

That is why it "costs" to be on local television.

Comment

All I ask is that someone (preferrably someone who spends way too much time on his computer) take a video camera to the game and put it on the net via a wireless feed. Hell, webcams are making lowlifes tons of money for denegrading themselves over the web. Maybe someone could set up a webcam at the game and provide the feed over the web. Doesn't have to be fancy. I could listen to the WNAX feed and watch the game at the same time. Now that would be living. I'm just spitballing here, people.

By the way, this post is only partly in gest. Some computer geek should be able to figure something like this out. Right?
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-D1
                    I disagree with 89.  I think we should be concerned that USD is on TV and SDSU is not.  I read another post somewhere else that all Montana games are on TV locally.  I think NDSU also gets at least some of its games televised locally.  SDSU needs to have games televised locally to support its move to DI.  It would sure do a lot to provide exposure and get new fans, IMHO.
                    I could not agree with your post more. This is exactly why I want our games to be on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
                      SDSU being on ESPNU is "costing" SDSU nothing.  It comes down to national sponsors versus local sponsors.

Let's explain why it "costs" to be on local television.  First, corporate sponsors believe they are "giving" something to a school by underwriting expenses.  The Mike Daly Show (1991-1996) had several corporate sponsors from the Sioux Falls area and those sponsors believed they were "giving" to the SDSU program.  In fact, both USD and Augustana approached those same sponsors and said, "What about us?  If you are doing it for SDSU you ought to be doing it for us, too!"  That cost the Mike Daly Show at least two sponsors.  

That's my point.  The sponsors will pay for the television commercials, believing that they are supporting the school by doing this.  So, instead of giving a gift directly to a school, they will write the check to KELO, KSFY, etc.
                      Sure the school receives an indirect benefit by the publicty it receives from being on television.  What the schools really need is revenue to support scholarship programs, equipment needs, travel, etc.  

The vast majority of national sponsors will not pay for commericials involving local schools like Augie or USD.  However, local sponsors will help foot the bill.  So, instead of giving money to those schools for the scholarships, etc., they will pay for advertising.  

Alumguy,

Great post, thanks for explaining what all is involved with local TV coverage (as it is today) and what it costs the univeristies involved.  In a direct way one might also assume that having the game on TV also effects ticket sales in a negative manner, thus costing the school even more.

Bottom line, I guess I would rather be on ESPNU nationwide and still be able to "hit up" those businesses for a contribution then be on KELO and have to those business "sponser" the broadcast and write KELO a check rather then USD.  Seems like a no brainier to me.  

Go State!  ;D

This kind of reminds me of the difference between USD's scoreboard revenue (going to Daktronics) and ours (going to SDSU).

Comment

Having your games on television, and radio for that matter, are considered 3 hour commercials for your institution by some people.

As far as MJA's suggestion, Brookings High School webcast's their home basketball games, both girls and boys. I am not sure about football. It is just one camera, but it is better than nothing. Several other high schools do the same thing. In the case of Brookings, they also feed the play-by-play of the local radio station down the line so you get it all at the same time. South Dakota public TV does the same thing for games at the state tourney that are not on the TV broadcast, and then archive them.

Comment

I don't know if any of you tried to watch the Montana Web cast last week, but it was horrible. The picture and sound quality left a lot to be desired. I switched back to just listening on WNAX after just a few minutes.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
                            Having your games on television, and radio for that matter, are considered 3 hour commercials for your institution by some people.

I think that is true, and there is nothing wrong with USD using it's resources for this.  That is why I am so pumped about SDSU having 2 such games on a National basis and having it cost SDSU nothing.  Kind of a ringing endorsement of the move to D-I.  

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
                              SDSU being on ESPNU is "costing" SDSU nothing.  It comes down to national sponsors versus local sponsors.

Let's explain why it "costs" to be on local television.  First, corporate sponsors believe they are "giving" something to a school by underwriting expenses.  The Mike Daly Show (1991-1996) had several corporate sponsors from the Sioux Falls area and those sponsors believed they were "giving" to the SDSU program.  In fact, both USD and Augustana approached those same sponsors and said, "What about us?  If you are doing it for SDSU you ought to be doing it for us, too!"  That cost the Mike Daly Show at least two sponsors.  

That's my point.  The sponsors will pay for the television commercials, believing that they are supporting the school by doing this.  So, instead of giving a gift directly to a school, they will write the check to KELO, KSFY, etc.
                              Sure the school receives an indirect benefit by the publicty it receives from being on television.  What the schools really need is revenue to support scholarship programs, equipment needs, travel, etc.  

The vast majority of national sponsors will not pay for commericials involving local schools like Augie or USD.  However, local sponsors will help foot the bill.  So, instead of giving money to those schools for the scholarships, etc., they will pay for advertising.  

This is not really true anymore, although the end result may be the same. Most stations, in most situtations, have the school buy the half hour for a show. The school then goes out and and sells the ads themselves, often putting it together with the ad in the program, signage at the venue., etc. The coaches show can actually serve as a source of revenue. The TV station is happy, because they have a fixed income each week with very little overhead (commisions, time spent selling). This might be how the U can say the broadcast this week is not "costing" them anything. The time is bought from the TV station, but the selling is all done by the U, so they would reap any "profit"

Comment

The end result is the same.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Working...
                                X