Big Sky to discuss expansion again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Sky to discuss expansion again

It looks like the BSC wil take another look at expansion next week and will discuss the posibility of having a twelve team league with two divisions. Here is the article from the Fargo Forum.

Expansion back on table in Big Sky
    By Jeff Kolpack, The Forum
    Published Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Big Sky Conference Presidents Council will discuss expansion at its annual meeting next week. The extent of the conversation, however, is still to be determined.

“It may last 30 seconds,” Big Sky Commissioner Doug Fullerton said Wednesday.

Fullerton said he wants to make sure the league looks at the future and considers all options. That could include a 12-team, two-division conference setup.

Fullerton said that would probably be the only way North Dakota State could gain entry into the league. NDSU applied for membership in the fall of 2004, but was denied when only Northern Colorado was chosen for a further look.

The Presidents Council cited distance as a major factor against NDSU.

“Everything about North Dakota State is exactly what the Big Sky Conference needs,” Fullerton said. “Having 12 teams is the only way to overcome the distance problem.”

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...253§ion=Sports

Re: Big Sky to discuss expansion again

Aw, geez, not this s*** again!

If an actual invite comes out, that's ok, but for now it's just a hot air breeze from the west.

For a number of reasons (recruiting, media exposure, etc.) I much prefer an eastward-looking conference to the BSC.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Don't get so excited Filbert. This is not a rumor, it is a news story.

While there are some advantages to the east, I have always thought the 12-team, two division concept for Big Sky would be an excellent option. Throw in Montana, Montana State, Idaho State, South Dakota State, North Dakota State and Northern Colorado in an East Division, and you get a lot of advantages.

Every other year travel to half of the Western Division schools...travel no further than Idaho (and that's every other year).

And more schools with differing sports offerings, means you might get a more quality fit for some of the sports. Yes, wrestling isn't in Big Sky, but that one is going to take care of itself.

And football is not in the MidCon, but is big in the Big Sky. I just hope the conference at least decides to look at that concept.

Comment

I'm not excited, that's my point.

There was a time when I was intrigued by Big Sky expansion talks. I don't see a lot of meat in the Forum story to get excited about.

If the BSC starts scheduling campus visits to SDSU, then I'll start taking an active interest.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Oh no - not again. It will be interesting to see where this goes - I suspect nowhere like the other times. I hope we eventually get the mid cont conference instead. Closer to us and they haven't jerked us around like the big sky has.

Comment

Interesting that the Big Sky is interested again, just after the Mid-Con names a new Commissioner.  Coincidence?  Maybe, maybe not.

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1127481732

Go State!  ;D

Comment

From over on the Bison board:

Originally posted by kchats
              Here is a link to an interview with Doug Fullerton regarding Big Sky expansion. He mentions what we already know that our problem is location.

http://www.bigskyconf.com/stats/Audio/2005/commish.wma

If that doesn't work you can go to the Big Sky homepage and click on Ask The Commish.

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news_front.asp

Go State! ;D

Comment

Some talks on the Bison Board, and from one of their news affiliates, of only NDSU being added to the sky. I guess it is the hope of the Montana State President...I don't know if it is something to get worked up over or not. Big Sky meetings today, hopefully we will here more.

http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/ya...46848;start=75
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I've gotten the impression from the news stories here in Fargo that they were only looking at NDSU but then at the same time they are mentioning the big sky expanding to 12 teams. I don't see how they could expand to 12 teams and not take SDSU. I think the bigger question is who is the 3rd team they take. Some have said SUU but others have also mentioned the Sue but I really don't think they are in a position to make the move.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonmike
                    I've gotten the impression from the news stories here in Fargo that they were only looking at NDSU but then at the same time they are mentioning the big sky expanding to 12 teams.  I don't see how they could expand to 12 teams and not take SDSU.  I think the bigger question is who is the 3rd team they take.  Some have said SUU but others have also mentioned the Sue but I really don't think they are in a position to make the move.
                    I don't think there is enough support for SUU as Fullerton stated in his interview last week. The possibility of UND/NDSU over SDSU isn't relevant until Kupchella gets canned.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                      Some talks on the Bison Board, and from one of their news affiliates, of only NDSU being added to the sky.  I guess it is the hope of the Montana State President...I don't know if it is something to get worked up over or not.   Big Sky meetings today, hopefully we will here more.

http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/ya...46848;start=75
                      On the 6:00 sports it sounded like only NDSU could be a possiblity, but on the 10:00 sports it sounded more like expand to 12 teams, with NDSU in 2006 and no mention of the other two schools (could be 2006 or 2007??)

Comment

BSC Presidents Not interested in expansion at this time. Why did we think anything had changed? Why do we keep waiting on those bozos? If they don't want the SUs then we should look east. Maybe a Mid Con/Great West combination.

Comment

As usual, Fullerton was full of baloney. You can't trust a word that guy says. He is essentially a snake-oil salesman. After he tells The Forum that suddenly there is support for 12 teams or for NDSU/UND, once again nothing comes out of the meetings. Nothing. No interest in anything.

If I was Jeff Kolpack, I'd stop answering the phone when that bozo calls. Why give him an opportunity to promote the Big Sky when there is literally no substance to anything he says?

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                            Interesting that the Big Sky is interested again, just after the Mid-Con names a new Commissioner.  Coincidence?  Maybe, maybe not.

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1127481732

Go State!  ;D

Fullerton wants to keep us in reserve in case some of his membership looks departs. I said at the time that this story came out that I thought it quite a coincidence that he was talking about Big Sky expansion right after the Mid-Con named a new, what could be a Dakota State University friendly, Commissioner. I have always thought this was more of a blocking action.

I would rather be in the Mid-Con/Great West for a variety of reasons and one of them is because of the way Fullerton and the Big Sky have jurked us around.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Highlights from the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...01/1002/SPORTS

Big Sky sticking with 9, for now

Conference may expand later

Chris Solari
                              csolari@argusleader.com

Article Published: 10/6/05

BROOKINGS - At their annual meeting Wednesday in Salt Lake City, the Big Sky Conference presidents once again discussed membership issues.

When the meeting adjourned, the Division I-AA Dakota schools got the same answer for the third straight year about potential membership: Not right now.

"Future expansion was discussed, but at the moment, (the presidents) don't anticipate any changes in the current lineup," said Ron Loghry, the Big Sky's chief of staff and director of compliance. "They just wanted to get a sense of whether to advance any further with their discussions."

It was a statement that didn't surprise South Dakota State Athletic Director Fred Oien, who said he hadn't heard from Big Sky Commissioner Doug Fullerton before or after the meeting.

"We expected nothing out of this meeting," Oien said. "I think just about every conference talks about expansion at every meeting right now. It's not just the Big Sky." . . .

Gene Taylor, NDSU athletic director, told The Associated Press that he hasn't talked with any Big Sky officials about the meeting. . . .

The Mid-Continent Conference, a league which is home to nine schools from everywhere from Michigan to Utah, has long been talked about as a second choice for SDSU and NDSU. They met in July and discussed membership issues, but no details were released.

One thing that could work in both schools' favor is that the Mid-Continent recently hired Southern Utah's Athletic Director Thomas Douple as the league's new commissioner last month and begins his job on Oct. 10. Douple worked with both SDSU's Oien and NDSU's Taylor in forming the Great West Football Conference in 2004.

The Big Sky's next presidents meeting is in May in Missoula, Mont. The Mid-Continent presidents won't meet again until March at the conference men's basketball tournament.

"The bottom line is we will keep doing the best we can until 2008-09, when we are eligible for postseason," Oien said. "The closer we get to that date, the more desirable we will be to get into a conference. One just has to be patient here." . . .

Go State! ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X